Can't Post To A Usenet Group

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin Harran, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. talk.origins is a moderated newsgroup and I used to post to it regularly up
    to last June.

    After a 3 week absence, I found that I could no longer post to it. I have
    tried all the following:

    - posting from my original account on my PC using my original newserver
    (news.individual.net)

    - posting through a different newserver (eircom, my ISP) with a different
    username on the same PC just in case my username had been blacklisted (no
    reason for that to happen but mistakes can be made

    - posting with a different username from a different PC in case the IP had
    been blacklisted

    - posting from Googlegroups.

    No joy with any of them.

    The newsgroup, unlike some other moderated ones, does not have a public site
    where you can see a list of rejected posts and reasons. I've emailed the
    site administrator directly but got no response - I don't know whether he
    didn't get the email or whether he just ignored it.

    I have no problem whatsoever posting to other ng's including several
    moderated ones.

    Any suggestions as to what else I could try or what the problem might be?

    Martin Harran, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Martin Harran

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:13:19 -0000, "Martin Harran"
    <> wrote:

    >talk.origins is a moderated newsgroup and I used to post to it regularly up
    >to last June.
    >
    >After a 3 week absence, I found that I could no longer post to it. I have
    >tried all the following:
    >
    >- posting from my original account on my PC using my original newserver
    >(news.individual.net)
    >
    >- posting through a different newserver (eircom, my ISP) with a different
    >username on the same PC just in case my username had been blacklisted (no
    >reason for that to happen but mistakes can be made
    >
    >- posting with a different username from a different PC in case the IP had
    >been blacklisted
    >
    >- posting from Googlegroups.
    >
    >No joy with any of them.
    >
    >The newsgroup, unlike some other moderated ones, does not have a public site
    >where you can see a list of rejected posts and reasons. I've emailed the
    >site administrator directly but got no response - I don't know whether he
    >didn't get the email or whether he just ignored it.
    >
    >I have no problem whatsoever posting to other ng's including several
    >moderated ones.
    >
    >Any suggestions as to what else I could try or what the problem might be?

    Uhh.. if it's a moderated newsgroup, and you can't post.... What do
    you think anyone but the moderator can do?

    Have you tried e-mailing the moderator from more than one account - ie
    your Yahoo account and your gmail account?

    Evan Platt, Dec 12, 2008

  3. On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:13:19 -0000, "Martin Harran"
    <> wrote:

    >Any suggestions as to what else I could try or what the problem might be?

    There is a message on talk.origins today that may explain the problem.
    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

    Artificial neural network applications.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Dec 12, 2008
  4. "SJP" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message
    >> talk.origins is a moderated newsgroup and I used to post to it regularly
    >> up to last June.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > "The hosting company changed IP addresses on Thursday. Unfortunately, I
    > haven't been able to log in to the domain registrar to update the DNS
    > records for talkorigins.org. Thanks to Douglas Theobald, though, we now
    > have the pages accessible via a new domain name:
    >
    > http://toarchive.org
    >
    > This is expected to be a temporary re-assignment of domain name, and once
    > can establish communication with the talkorigins.org domain registrar, it
    > will shift back to talkorigins.org. Please pardon the inconvenience."

    That's the archives website, not the newsgroup itself.

    Martin Harran, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Martin Harran

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin Harran" <> wrote in

    > "SJP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message
    >>> talk.origins is a moderated newsgroup and I used to post to it
    >>> regularly up to last June.
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> "The hosting company changed IP addresses on Thursday. Unfortunately, I
    >> haven't been able to log in to the domain registrar to update the DNS
    >> records for talkorigins.org. Thanks to Douglas Theobald, though, we now
    >> have the pages accessible via a new domain name:
    >>
    >> http://toarchive.org
    >>
    >> This is expected to be a temporary re-assignment of domain name, and
    >> once I
    >> can establish communication with the talkorigins.org domain registrar,
    >> it will shift back to talkorigins.org. Please pardon the
    >> inconvenience."

    > That's the archives website, not the newsgroup itself.

    And maybe it's *there* because of the content of the message itself?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 13, 2008
  6. Martin Harran

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin Harran" <> wrote in

    > "SJP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message
    >>> talk.origins is a moderated newsgroup and I used to post to it
    >>> regularly up to last June.
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> "The hosting company changed IP addresses on Thursday. Unfortunately, I
    >> haven't been able to log in to the domain registrar to update the DNS
    >> records for talkorigins.org. Thanks to Douglas Theobald, though, we now
    >> have the pages accessible via a new domain name:
    >>
    >> http://toarchive.org
    >>
    >> This is expected to be a temporary re-assignment of domain name, and
    >> once I
    >> can establish communication with the talkorigins.org domain registrar,
    >> it will shift back to talkorigins.org. Please pardon the
    >> inconvenience."

    > That's the archives website, not the newsgroup itself.

    My point is that the domain and the group are tied together. If one is not
    working then both aren't working. Once you can get a response to a command
    line ping of talkorigins.org, then you will be able to post again (if you
    are allowed to by the moderators).

    Try this once or twice a day:

    start->programs->accessories->msdos prompt

    ping talkorigins.org

    If you get no response, it's not there yet. Literally.

    tracert talkorigins.org

    Same deal. If it says unknown host for either or both, the same is true.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 13, 2008
  7. Martin Harran

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:54:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >My point is that the domain and the group are tied together. If one is not
    >working then both aren't working.

    Wow.. Just... WOW..

    >Once you can get a response to a command
    >line ping of talkorigins.org, then you will be able to post again (if you
    >are allowed to by the moderators).

    You fucking idiot.

    Try pinging www.wamu.com.
    Try pinging www.wellsfargo.com .

    Can't, can you? But they work.

    Idiot.

    Evan Platt, Dec 13, 2008
  8. Martin Harran

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Idiot

    Nice sig, very suitable.

    --
    <snip>