    I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
    the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.

    Chris
    Chris, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Chris

    A Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:29:31 +1200, "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
    >the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
    >
    >Chris

    Thanks for letting us know that. Things like this (or the reverse i.e.
    a DVD player that plays MP3's off a DVD) often aren't documented and
    often hard to find the answer to (short of taking in a DVD to test)
    A, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Chris

    Philip Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:29:31 +1200, "Chris"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
    >>the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
    >>
    >>Chris

    > Thanks for letting us know that. Things like this (or the reverse i.e.
    > a DVD player that plays MP3's off a DVD) often aren't documented and
    > often hard to find the answer to (short of taking in a DVD to test)

    Mikght you have run up against some kind of DRM? Were the MP3s
    downloaded from some source that might have poisoned them? Or do you
    need to go thru a routine to tell the player that the DVD disk in it is
    actually an audio format - and indeed, how do you author an audio format
    DVD, which would be a lovely thing to be able to keep in the car! If you
    had a player that could read it!

    Philip
    Philip, Jul 8, 2005
  4. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    > I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    > in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
    > on CD.
    >
    > Chris

    I have the same issue. I recently bought a DVD burner and I can get my Sony
    DVD player in the lounge to play my home-made DVD videos but not DVD's full
    of mp3s. It will play mp3 CDs just fine. I thought it may have been a
    limitation of the player as the instruction book mentioned a maximum of 99
    tracks per "album" (folder on the DVD) so I burnt a DVD with only 50 mp3s
    but that didn't work either. So I'm guessing it's a limitation of the player
    rather than a technical issue although the instruction booklet doesn't
    explicitly state it can't play mp3 DVDs.
    Jules Winnfield, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Chris

    Richard Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    > I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
    > the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
    >
    > Chris

    Perhaps try writing a disc with only iso on it, without udf and see if it works
    any better?
    Richard, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Chris

    XPD Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    > I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    > in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
    > on CD.

    Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
    that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
    technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....
    XPD, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Chris

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:25:33 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Chris" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    >> in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
    >> on CD.

    >Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
    >that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
    >technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

    Its Very Simple it sees the Disk as a DVD and does not expect it to contain
    MP3's.

    Like a lot of Players can play MINI DVD's as it sees the CD as a CD not as
    a DVD...
    Tony, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Chris

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD
    >> player. I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but
    >> they won't play in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can
    >> play MP3 songs recorded on CD.

    > Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in
    > the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I
    > dont know the technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

    Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s onto DVD
    for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work and they'll have to
    continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll still need a pile of CDRs. I
    wonder what are the specifics?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2005
  9. Chris

    Daver Guest

    Some years ago I read it was a condition of the DVD logo that MP3s cannot be
    played on a DVD. This certainly seems to be the case with the brand name
    DVD I have tried and not necessarily the case for cheap chinese players as
    you might expect.

    Daver, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Chris

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > XPD wrote:
    >> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just
    >> something in the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s
    >> from working.... I dont know the technical explanation but a
    >> mate of mine does.....

    > Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s
    > onto DVD for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work
    > and they'll have to continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll
    > still need a pile of CDRs. I wonder what are the specifics?

    My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
    Some players do, some don't.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    .... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
    players handle it and which don't.

    404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
    252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
    656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).

    Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
    not tested).

    Mark
    Mark C, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Chris

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just
    >>> something in the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s
    >>> from working.... I dont know the technical explanation but a
    >>> mate of mine does.....

    >> Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s
    >> onto DVD for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work
    >> and they'll have to continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll
    >> still need a pile of CDRs. I wonder what are the specifics?

    > My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
    > Some players do, some don't.
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    > ... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
    > players handle it and which don't.
    >
    > 404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
    > 252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
    > 656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).
    >
    > Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
    > not tested).

    Thanks Mark, I'm just about to look up my DVD player on that site now and
    see if it's listed.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Chris

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
    > Some players do, some don't.
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    > ... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
    > players handle it and which don't.
    >
    > 404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
    > 252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
    > 656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).
    >
    > Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
    > not tested).

    Seems my fairly new Panasonic NV-VP32 DVD player/VCR combo isn't listed. I
    don't have a DVD burner yet so I can't submit a report either. It says on
    the box it plays DVD-/+R/RW and RAM and mp3s and it plays mp3s from a CDR
    just fine. I'll have to save my pennies and buy one of those LG burners and
    find out I guess.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Chris

    Sticky Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    >>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
    >>on CD.

    > Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
    > that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
    > technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

    I have a cheap DVD player that refuses to play mp3 files from a DVD
    unless at least one of them is in the "root" directory. The books says
    at least one mp3 must be visible to the DVD so it recognises the disc
    as an mp3 disc. Same for CD's.

    You would be better to write the audio as an audio mpeg file. See Aust
    PC User June 2005 Page 90ff.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, Jul 11, 2005
  14. Chris

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:12:52 +1200, Sticky <> wrote:

    >XPD wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >>>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    >>>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
    >>>on CD.

    >> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
    >> that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
    >> technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....
    >>

    >I have a cheap DVD player that refuses to play mp3 files from a DVD
    >unless at least one of them is in the "root" directory. The books says
    >at least one mp3 must be visible to the DVD so it recognises the disc
    >as an mp3 disc. Same for CD's.
    >
    >You would be better to write the audio as an audio mpeg file. See Aust
    >PC User June 2005 Page 90ff.

    When reading that article I was wondering about them going on about the quality.
    Where abouts are you going to source anything at that quality to put on there?
    Craig Shore, Jul 12, 2005
  15. In article <danec6$kj$>,
    "Daver" <> wrote:

    >Some years ago I read it was a condition of the DVD logo that MP3s cannot be
    >played on a DVD. This certainly seems to be the case with the brand name
    >DVD I have tried and not necessarily the case for cheap chinese players as
    >you might expect.
    >

    >"Chris" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
    >> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
    >>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on
    >>CD.

    Do you mean the DVD-Video logo? Because your PC's DVD drive has a DVD
    logo on it too, yet that doesn't stop it playing MP3s from DVD discs.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 17, 2005