Can't play DVD on my computer...I'm really annoyed now!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Burdett, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Hi all,
    a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd be
    able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I bought it!
    Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with the dvd drive.
    When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message: "F4D41436: This copy
    protected disc cannot be played when the tv out function is enabled". Now..I
    rang the shop where I bought it and was told to download "Anydvd"..which I
    did, but it was a 21 day demo...I guess it's also some sort of hack, as I
    was able to watch dvd's.
    Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's. My
    internet research tells me it's something to do with "Microvision"...but I
    don't fully understand it. Also, my video card is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I
    don't want to purchase another card (apparently some newer cards don't
    exhibit this problem) as I feel that I should be able to watch my legally
    bought dvd's on my computer. I'd appreciate some advice here.
    Many thanks,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Paul Burdett

    Isaac Guest

    "Paul Burdett" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    > a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd
    > be able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I
    > bought it! Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with
    > the dvd drive. When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message:
    > "F4D41436: This copy protected disc cannot be played when the tv out
    > function is enabled". Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was
    > told to download "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I
    > guess it's also some sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
    > Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's.
    > My internet research tells me it's something to do with
    > "Microvision"...but I don't fully understand it. Also, my video card
    > is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I don't want to purchase another card
    > (apparently some newer cards don't exhibit this problem) as I feel
    > that I should be able to watch my legally bought dvd's on my computer.
    > I'd appreciate some advice here. Many thanks,
    > Paul

    You could try VLC.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    Isaac, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    "Isaac" <-> wrote in message news:...
    > "Paul Burdett" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd
    > > be able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I
    > > bought it! Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with
    > > the dvd drive. When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message:
    > > "F4D41436: This copy protected disc cannot be played when the tv out
    > > function is enabled". Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was
    > > told to download "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I
    > > guess it's also some sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
    > > Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's.
    > > My internet research tells me it's something to do with
    > > "Microvision"...but I don't fully understand it. Also, my video card
    > > is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I don't want to purchase another card
    > > (apparently some newer cards don't exhibit this problem) as I feel
    > > that I should be able to watch my legally bought dvd's on my computer.
    > > I'd appreciate some advice here. Many thanks,
    > > Paul
    > >

    > You could try VLC.
    > http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    Hi,
    I downloaded it, but get no picture..looks a little complicated for me!
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Paul Burdett

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Paul Burdett vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Hi all,
    > a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd be
    > able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I bought it!
    > Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with the dvd drive.
    > When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message: "F4D41436: This copy
    > protected disc cannot be played when the tv out function is enabled".
    > Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was told to download
    > "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I guess it's also some
    > sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
    > Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's. My
    > internet research tells me it's something to do with "Microvision"...but I
    > don't fully understand it. Also, my video card is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I
    > don't want to purchase another card (apparently some newer cards don't
    > exhibit this problem) as I feel that I should be able to watch my legally
    > bought dvd's on my computer. I'd appreciate some advice here.

    Have you checked on the respective websites for updated drivers and possible
    fixes for this from the manufacturers of both the video card and the DVD
    drive ?

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks