    I've downloaded some AVIs and can't seem to play them on WMP or anything else.
    What seems to be the problem? Why can't I play some files on WMP . you'd think
    it would play anything. thanks BG

    BillKirch, Apr 5, 2004

  2. BillKirch

    bambam Guest

    oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    news::

    > I've downloaded some AVIs and can't seem to play them on WMP or
    > anything else. What seems to be the problem? Why can't I play some
    > files on WMP . you'd think it would play anything. thanks BG

    Depends on which codec was used to encode the AVI.
    GSpot will help you with this-

    GSpot

    GSpot codec information appliance establishes what video codecs (audio
    and video) are required to play an AVI file. Determines whether these
    codecs are installed on your system. Isolates problems associated with
    these codecs.

    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Birth control would come in ale or lager.

    bambam, Apr 5, 2004

  3. BillKirch

    Thor Guest

    AVI files are encoded with a variety of compression schemes. You need the
    appropriate decompression codec to watch the movie on your machine. WMP
    doesn't come preloaded with every concievable codec. No player does. You
    have to seek out and download the right codec and install it to play the
    movie. Start with DiVX. www.divx.com One of the most commonly used AVI
    codecs these days.

    Thor, Apr 5, 2004
  4. BillKirch

    BillKirch Guest

    >AVI files are encoded with a variety of compression schemes. You need the
    >appropriate decompression codec to watch the movie on your machine. WMP
    >doesn't come preloaded with every concievable codec. No player does. You
    >have to seek out and download the right codec and install it to play the

    Thank you very much. BG

    BillKirch, Apr 6, 2004