Can't open some photos over network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Photos are stored on a desktop computer with XP Pro
    Laptop with wireless access to shared photos directory with XP Home

    Photos in a landscape mode work just fine
    Photos in portrait mode that were likely auto rotated by cannon camera
    cannot be viewed on laptop.
    All Photos work just fine on desktop

    Also, when I make a copy of a problem file. named "copy of...jpg" preview
    shows up normally on both machines.

    Items that I have tried working with photo newsgroup:

    Q)Go to the desktop, go to the folder and right click on it, in the sharing
    section of the properties "allow network users to change my files."
    A)Was already this way

    Q)Is the Cannon software (I'm guessing that's where the problem is but still
    just guessing - this is more a network problem than a photo problem) making
    any changes to the file permissions? Is it moving - perhaps - the files to
    an alternative folder and that folder is unable to be shared (such as
    something in the program files folder perhaps) or the likes? This seems very
    much a permissions issue and the root seems (again just a guess) to be
    Cannon's doing.
    A) Permissions are identical
    I think that it is a network problem also, but I do not understand why
    landscape pictures show fine, where-as portrait layout is a problem, but only
    across the network. These pictures are intermixed in the same directory.
    Their permissions are identical.(Yes, I looked)

    I wasn't completely clear in not working. I meant "preview not available" in
    microsoft fax and picture viewer. ACDSee will not preview these same pictures
    either. They are associated with ACDSee on both machines.

    On a whim, I tried to rotate a picture by right clicking and "rotate
    picture". I get "You cannot rotate this image. The file might be in use by
    another program, or the file might be read only." Rotating a picture that
    has a preview, works properly.

    Seems straightforward, but It is not read only for the file, nor the folder.
    It is also not in use, as far as I can tell.

    Q)Hmm... Go to the desktop computer and reboot it into safe mode WITH
    networking (disconnect it from the internet first but not from your network
    IF possible) and try it.
    A)Safe mode made no difference

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=, Apr 21, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

    Socrates Guest

    disconnect the camera from the computer.
    associate correct file types in the tools/folder options of My Computer
    turn on simple file sharing in both computers tools/folder options/view etc

    please report feedback here

    www.amw1.com/faq

    Socrates, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Camera not connected
    Files already associated with same viwing program (ACDsee), although nothing
    seems to open them remotely.
    Simple file sharing already on on desktop, option not available on laptop

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=, Apr 22, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

    Guest Guest

    > I wasn't completely clear in not working. I meant "preview not available"
    > in
    > > microsoft fax and picture viewer. ACDSee will not preview these same
    > > pictures
    > > either. They are associated with ACDSee on both machines.

    Have you tried disabling the "auto rotate" in the Canon camera menu?

    If you can open images on the laptop then there seems no problem with the
    network or permissions.

    Guest, Apr 23, 2006
  5. I suppose that is an option, but not a very desireable one. I just can't seem
    to figure out what is different about those files. I would think that both
    machines would have issues if it was something wrong with the picture.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=, Apr 24, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

    xerxess77

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I've been struggling with this same problem for a while. This is not a networking issue. Here's what I figured out.

    When images are (automatically) rotated by AcdSee, it alters the file's permissions. Particularly, it removes the Read permission of the Everyone group. Since XP Home can only connect to a share as the Guest user, it will therefore no longer get access to these files. The original poster mentions that the permissions are identical, but I doubt it; you can use 'cacls' to check.

    It looks like an imaging software issue to me. It is possible that AcdSee and the Canon software the OP uses utilize the same library for image rotation, which mishandles file permissions. I cannot be sure.
    However, I've been seeing this with non-image files as well, so I'm not sure what causes this.

    Workaround:
    1) Move files to TEMP folder
    2) Copy files back to original location. Make sure to copy using some windows tool such as Explorer or xcopy (do not use /O). Cygwin 'cp' did not work for me.
    3) Delete files from TEMP folder.

    You can scrape off the list of files with access errors from a log file from SyncTool or rsync, and perform the above steps for all files from a script. This is how I fix them and it works.

    xerxess77, Jul 5, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

    nitramwin

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    this is a slightly different situation from the above but please help!!!!!

    situation: i bought a canon rebel xti and copy my files through the eos utility software which came with the camera to my local drive.

    the weird thing is that after i took a few photos with the cannon i stuck my cf memory card into another camera (an old olympus) and took a few shots with it. --- when i got back home, i uploaded all the photos from the cf through my canon xti and with eos software utility to my computer. when i share the folder where all those photos are located, i can only view those that were taken by the olympus although they were on the same memory card and with the same software..

    i tried viewing or copying those pictures taken by the canon on macu, buntu and windows xp professional
    - weird huh?

    i would certainly appreciate anybody's input into my dilema

    thanks

    nitramwin, Jan 21, 2008
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyaw==?=

    nitramwin

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    update

    it seems that if i use a card reader for my cf i can do whatever i want to with my photos ...

    nitramwin, Mar 3, 2008