    is anyway to access the files and open the program
    I am using Xp home edition with service pack 2 installed via cd
    Thanks

    nancy, Jun 28, 2007

  2. nancy

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "nancy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > I have two computers.....one which is four years old, and the other a year
    > old
    > On my old computer, which is a Dell Dimension 8200 I was doing a system
    > restore
    > when there was a power failure.......the Dell tech did a repair, install
    > four times
    > Now, I can't access my email on my old computer....it won't even open
    > I transferred my email address on my old computer to my new one, a Dell
    > xps
    > can't download shockwave player, access windows updates, or, add remove
    > programs
    > I don't want to lose my email settings on the old computer, so I was
    > wondering if there
    > is anyway to access the files and open the program
    > I am using Xp home edition with service pack 2 installed via cd
    > Thanks

    What Dell tech? Pack them up, send them back to Dell, buy a typewriter and
    envelopes, and go back to what you know.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 28, 2007

  3. "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    > "nancy" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have two computers.....one which is four years old, and the other a
    >> year
    >> old
    >> On my old computer, which is a Dell Dimension 8200 I was doing a system
    >> restore
    >> when there was a power failure.......the Dell tech did a repair, install
    >> four times
    >> Now, I can't access my email on my old computer....it won't even open
    >> I transferred my email address on my old computer to my new one, a Dell
    >> xps
    >> can't download shockwave player, access windows updates, or, add remove
    >> programs
    >> I don't want to lose my email settings on the old computer, so I was
    >> wondering if there
    >> is anyway to access the files and open the program
    >> I am using Xp home edition with service pack 2 installed via cd
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > What Dell tech? Pack them up, send them back to Dell, buy a typewriter and
    > envelopes, and go back to what you know.

    Here's an idea:
    Be sure Outlook Express is closed on your new computer.

    Back up the existing .DBX files on your new computer, just for safety's sake
    (create a new directory in Explorer, then drag and copy the existing .DBX
    files to that directory).

    Outlook Express stores all its mail in .DBX files. Transfer all those .DBX
    files to your new computer, and move them into the directory that has all
    the existing .DBX files (being sure there aren't any that have the same name
    (rename any .DBX files from your old computer like this: Inbox_old.dbx, Sent
    Items_old.dbx, Outbox_old.dbx, etc.).

    For instance, your Outlook Express folder is probably here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\{YOUR USER NAME}\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{8 DIGITS-4 DIGITS-4 DIGITS-4 DIGITS-12
    DIGITS}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

    Where the things in the curly brackets will be different for your computer.

    When you start up Outlook Express, you should see all the mail items from
    your old computer.

    HTH, HAND

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Jun 28, 2007
  4. nancy

    ded Guest

    "nancy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have two computers.....one which is four years old, and the other a year
    > old
    > On my old computer, which is a Dell Dimension 8200 I was doing a system
    > restore
    > when there was a power failure.......the Dell tech did a repair, install
    > four times
    > Now, I can't access my email on my old computer....it won't even open
    > I transferred my email address on my old computer to my new one, a Dell
    > xps
    > can't download shockwave player, access windows updates, or, add remove
    > programs
    > I don't want to lose my email settings on the old computer, so I was
    > wondering if there
    > is anyway to access the files and open the program
    > I am using Xp home edition with service pack 2 installed via cd
    > Thanks

    Are you logging on as Administrator or a user with admin credentials?
    Create two new profiles, giving each admin credentials:
    Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick a task/Create new account
    complete the wizard for both new user profiles.
    You will use one of the new profiles to transfer your settings to.
    You will use the second new profile to perform the transfer.
    Reboot and log on as the *second* new user.

    In Windows Explorer:
    click Tools,
    click Folder Options,
    click the View tab,
    click Show hidden files and folders,
    click to clear the "Hide protected operating system files" check box,
    click OK.

    Navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\"profile that is corrupt" -
    This the profile you will be copying user data *from*.
    Hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
    subfolder in this folder, EXCEPT the following files:
    Ntuser.dat
    Ntuser.dat.log
    Ntuser.ini
    The 3 above must be excluded from the transfer
    On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\"First New_User" folder -
    This is the first new user profile you created and will be transfering
    data to.

    On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    Log off the computer, Reboot and log on as the new user.

    Now that you have a new user profile with new settings and Administrator
    credentials, follow this KB guide on how to find and transfer your OE data
    from the corrupt admin profile.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/

    ded, Jun 29, 2007