Can't open new window or tab in IE8 32 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by GaryG, Nov 20, 2009.

  1. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    Win 7 Pro on a new HP i7 PC with 9GB ram. All MS and HP updates installed

    64 bit IE8 works perfect. Only 32 bit version has this problem.

    Can not right click and "Open in new window"
    Can not right click and "open in new tab"
    Links that open in a new tab just sit there saying "Connecting"
    Links that open in a new window do nothing. (Like new question window in here)

    I have reset all defaults in internet, Intranet, and Trusted Zones.
    I have cleared all temp and cache files
    I have reset advanced settings
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8
    I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
    NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.

    Technet doesn't have any answers but searching the web does find this error
    reported frequently. None with any solutions

    IE32 bit did work initially. With so many updates I can't pinpoint when it
    stopped doing so.

    I have spent too much time personalizing everything and adding programs to
    restart with a clean install. All mainstream like Quickbooks 2010 etc. Not
    sure that some would even let me reregister if I did a clean reinstall of
    Win7..

    As a side note, IE8 running in XP Mode virtual machine also runs perfect.

    GaryG, Nov 20, 2009

  2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?

    What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
    subscription current, and is it supported in Win7? What anti-spyware

    Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
    it)?

    Officially, all Win7 Support should be obtained in one of these forums:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    www.banthecheck.com

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Nov 21, 2009

  3. GaryG

    Bob Guest

    Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
    There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.

    Bob, Nov 21, 2009
  4. "GaryG" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I have regsvr32 some specific dll files as suggested in other MS forums
    > NOTHING WORKS TO FIX THIS.

    IE seems to be going away from such repairs, instead going to
    ..msi based repairs such as you could get by using the Control Panel's
    Add or Remove Programs applet's Set Program Access and Defaults
    tool. See if re-registering IE as your default brower that way helps
    at all. Also, since there are so many more security/obscurity impediments
    these days it may help to use that tool when Run as Administrator.
    E.g. just before the .msi file is executed use the appropriate right-click
    incantations to get that done. In fact, I would try it from a safe mode
    command only boot but I suppose in that case the Installer service might
    not be running. ; ]

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Nov 21, 2009
  5. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    32bit IE8 no-add ins mode doesn't help.
    Using only Microsoft Security Essentials and MS Firewall.
    Moving a website into trusted zone with minimal security doesn't help.

    Just a reminder IE8 64 bit works fine, except flas and even silverlight
    don't work on x64.

    Thanks for telling me what usenet group to use. I couldn't find Win7 group.

    Gary

    GaryG, Nov 24, 2009
  6. > Just a reminder IE8 64 bit works fine, except [flash] and even silverlight
    > don't work on x64.

    Are there 64-bit versions of Flash and Silverlight? No, nor are ActiveX
    Controls on which they depend supported in IE 64-bit. Access pages with
    Flash or Silverlight content in IE 32-bit.

    > Using only Microsoft Security Essentials...

    What anti-virus application were you using before you installed MSE, was
    your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you
    installed MSE?

    Repost: Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
    it)?

    Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit or is it a brand-new computer with Win7
    64-bit preinstalled by the OEM?

    > Thanks for telling me what usenet group to use. I couldn't find Win7
    > group.

    The Win7 *forums* are not available via Usenet nor are there any
    Win7-specific Microsoft newsgroups.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Nov 25, 2009
  7. Is this another example of "Shotgun Effect" posting? Is there something
    wrong with only posting in one forum as is strongly recommended at all
    times? If you think it may be relevant in two or more groups, then
    submit individual posts in those groups. Multiple crosss-posting just
    makes for one BIG UGLY MESS!!!

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 25, 2009
  8. GaryG

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 25/11/2009 in message <> Bobby
    Johnson wrote:

    >Is this another example of "Shotgun Effect" posting? Is there something
    >wrong with only posting in one forum as is strongly recommended at all
    >times? If you think it may be relevant in two or more groups, then submit
    >individual posts in those groups. Multiple crosss-posting just makes for
    >one BIG UGLY MESS!!!

    It is quite extensively cross posted but your advice is completely
    incorrect.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

    Jeff Gaines, Nov 25, 2009
  9. GaryG

    Bob Guest

    http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46492

    "don't post to each group separately. Instead, specify all the groups on a
    single copy of the message. This reduces network overhead and lets people
    who subscribe to more than one group see the message once instead of having
    to wade through each copy"

    Bob, Nov 26, 2009
  10. GaryG

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 26/11/2009 in message <eSH#> Bob wrote:

    >http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46492
    >
    >"don't post to each group separately. Instead, specify all the groups on a
    >single copy of the message. This reduces network overhead and lets people
    >who subscribe to more than one group see the message once instead of
    >having to wade through each copy"

    I had an email from Bobby in response to my post, unfortunately from an
    un-routable email address so I couldn't reply. I suspect he is confusing
    cross-posting and multi-posting but we may never know :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

    Jeff Gaines, Nov 26, 2009
  11. GaryG

    jheffernan Guest

    I found this support community just today, while looking for an answe
    to a similar problem I have. At least I think it may be similar. I a
    not a tech expert, so I apologize if I'm way off base. I have Window
    XP, 32 bit, but IE 7, not 8. But, I also recently installed (and canno
    uninstall) microsoft security essentials.

    Even more recently, I have had difficulty, or am flat-out unable t
    open search results or links provided by emails. I also experience th
    same kind of results expressed here--clicking may result in
    never-ending attempt to connect (no help from refreshing) or no respons
    at all, and am not helped trying to right click open a new window (
    should mention that my problems relate largely to regular left doubl
    clicks, just trying to open something or go to a site, but I have trie
    the right click/open window unsuccessfully in trying to get around th
    general problem).

    This latest problem is very frustrating and has pulled me off of m
    efforts to uninstall MSE. I've gotten one set of directions t
    uninstall manually from Microsoft that I've had no luck with, but pla
    to try again. The second set of directions sent to me by Microsoft sen
    me to a range of uninstall tools for other security programs that I'v
    had in the past and thought were totally uninstalled--I think I've use
    every one at some time. As of last night using these tools has no
    changed anything either.

    Bottom line, I'm sad to read no one has a fix for the main problem her
    (I think it might well help me if there were). I now wonder, however
    if the problem is a MSI, 32 bit problem, rather than an IE, 32 bi
    problem? Any thoughts? Thanks for listening; it helps to vent

    --
    jhefferna
    jheffernan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/170732.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    jheffernan, Jan 4, 2010
  12. I guess when you found this you didn't read the title - "64bit"

    This group is for Windows 64-bit. You need to go to one of the Windows
    XP groups. Try the ones below for starters:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 5, 2010
  13. GaryG

    jheffernan Guest

    jheffernan, Jan 6, 2010