Can't open hosts file on xp!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tim Lister, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Tim Lister

    Tim Lister Guest

    Firstly, as a seasoned lurker here can I just thank the people who
    regularly contribute helping us average Joe's learn a little about pc
    security! I've learned more by just hanging around this part of Usenet
    than from anywhere else & it's always interesting to see the real world
    examples of problems & solutions as well as pick up pointers for reading
    about the issues involved, so thanks guys for taking the time!
    I'm presently a little worried as my xp machine has two glitches
    that are concerning me, which may be totally irrelevant or not, so I was
    hoping that somebody could advise me about them? Firstly, let me say
    that I consider myself to be reasonably adept at protecting my machine
    for an average user, regularly running Ad-aware & Spybot, Sophos
    anti-virus for xp & using Zone alarm on my cable modem connection but
    have discovered that I cannot open my xp hosts file; it crashes explorer
    if I try to read it using notepad (something called drop2.exe appears to
    shut down the explorer shell!). I also appear to have an entry in
    msconfig with no title, nothing in the command field & a registry key of
    SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run (no hive!-is that the
    right term for the main root branch of the registry?) which doesn't seem
    to have an entry under any of the usual keys within either
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE! I can't see anything unusual in
    Process Explorer, by which I mean that there's nothing that strikes me
    as being obviously new in there, but as I said, I'm no expert at
    interpreting these things & nothing is thrown up by the other security
    apps on my machine! I would greatly appreciate some advice on whether
    these things are worth worrying about or investigating further? Thanks
    in advance for any help or advice given!
    Tim Lister, Dec 8, 2004

  2. The following sounds like a self preservation technique "...I cannot open my xp hosts file;
    it crashes explorer ..."

    Please perform the following...

    1) Download the following four items...

    McAfee Stinger
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    If you have a previous version, remove it and replace it with Adaware SE.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt285.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
    5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three
    utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP, Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    Dave

    "Tim Lister" <?.com> wrote in
    message news:z5std.877$...
    David H. Lipman, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Tim Lister

    donnie Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:42:07 GMT, Tim Lister
    <?.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks
    >in advance for any help or advice given!

    ############################
    Looking in those 2 places in the registry is exactly what I would have
    done. Check those again to be sure that there is nothing there. It
    may not be the exact name that you see in msconfig. Have you disabled
    it in msconfig? Try to copy the hosts file to a floopy and open it on
    another machine. Also, check the event viewer and any other log
    files.
    You didn't mention if ti was XP Pro or Home and what service pack.
    There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.
    donnie
    donnie, Dec 8, 2004
  4. You have heard mis-information. When SP2 is installed on a malware clean PC. It works just
    fine. When it is installed on a PC with malware then there are troubles. Those who have
    troubles are just more vocal than those (like myself) that haven't experienced *any*
    problems.

    I have it installed on numerous platforms and varying models from Dell, IBM, Sony, Gateway,
    etc...

    Dave

    ..

    David H. Lipman, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Tim Lister

    Leythos Guest

    In article <z5std.877$>,
    ?.com
    says...
    > I'm presently a little worried as my xp machine has two glitches
    > that are concerning me, which may be totally irrelevant or not, so I was
    > hoping that somebody could advise me about them? Firstly, let me say
    > that I consider myself to be reasonably adept at protecting my machine
    > for an average user, regularly running Ad-aware & Spybot, Sophos
    > anti-virus for xp & using Zone alarm on my cable modem connection but

    If you have a cable modem you need to get a ROUTER that does NAT, this
    one thing will be more valuable than ANY PERSONAL FIREWALL that you
    install and manage in protecting your computer.

    > have discovered that I cannot open my xp hosts file; it crashes explorer
    > if I try to read it using notepad (something called drop2.exe appears to
    > shut down the explorer shell!). I also appear to have an entry in
    > msconfig with no title, nothing in the command field & a registry key of
    > SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run (no hive!-is that the
    > right term for the main root branch of the registry?) which doesn't seem
    > to have an entry under any of the usual keys within either
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE! I can't see anything unusual in
    > Process Explorer, by which I mean that there's nothing that strikes me
    > as being obviously new in there, but as I said, I'm no expert at
    > interpreting these things & nothing is thrown up by the other security
    > apps on my machine! I would greatly appreciate some advice on whether
    > these things are worth worrying about or investigating further? Thanks
    > in advance for any help or advice given!

    At this point you've been compromised. Drop2.exe is most likely a fake
    name for the trojan/virus, and that means that either you are not
    keeping your updates current, our your AV/Spyware software is being
    bypassed by it.

    To be honest, there is no reasonable, safe, sure-fire, method to clean
    your computer. At this point, I would save all your important documents,
    word, excel, quicken, etc... Burn them to CD/DVD. Then I would insert
    the XP CD and wipe/reinstall XP after completely removing the old XP.

    You need to get the ROUTER/NAT BEFORE you reinstall XP on your computer,
    and then, the very first thing you install after XP should be SP2.

    If you want to TRY and remove the crap infecting your machine, download
    a new copy of AdAware SE and updates, then get the 1.3 version of SpyBot
    Search and Destroy, then get a fresh copy of Norton Antivirus 2004 -
    download the AV update (not using Live Update) and save it. Put these on
    a CDR and reboot in safe mode. Once in safe mode, run AdAware SE, then
    SpyBot, then reboot in safe mode again, then install NAV2004, apply the
    update file, run a full system scan. While this may not clean your
    computer completely, if it doesn't then all you have left is to
    format/reinstall.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Tim Lister

    donnie Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:33:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >You have heard mis-information. When SP2 is installed on a malware clean PC. It works just
    >fine. When it is installed on a PC with malware then there are troubles. Those who have
    >troubles are just more vocal than those (like myself) that haven't experienced *any*
    >problems.
    >
    >I have it installed on numerous platforms and varying models from Dell, IBM, Sony, Gateway,
    >etc...
    >
    >Dave

    ##############################
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5311280.html

    Security Windows XP Microsoft Corp
    "Microsoft has issued a list of nearly 50 software applications and
    games that may encounter problems with its Windows XP Service Pack 2
    update."

    Then where does all that come from?
    donnie
    donnie, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
    Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use a
    broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".

    A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of Win2K
    SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Tim Lister

    winged Guest

    We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
    now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
    one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
    hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
    legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
    people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
    a clean (wiped system)

    Dave, you still processing SETI? ;-)

    Winged

    winged, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Yes still a SETI phan... as of right now...

    19448 WUs
    5.569 years processing WUs

    I hope to make 20K by Jan 1, 05. :)
    I did not go BOINC

    As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
    Windows OS.
    When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
    the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 9, 2004
  10. Tim Lister

    winged Guest

    I thought that was you, we talked before, I am the guy 3 below you on
    the team page...lol i gotz some catching to do I might make 15K units by
    then. Funny how strange minds work..lol
    Winged

    winged, Dec 9, 2004
  11. E x c e l l e n t !

    You'll have to send me an email and I 'll send you my "other" email address. We can talk shop. I've been to your web site.
    I like to hear how other places to their networking and "stuff".. Especially with the changes that are taking place before the end of the year.
    "They" are keeping me busy. And of course, we can't get into details "here" :)

    Dave
    BTW: The problem with SETI is it defaults to to http for the web site. Our web site is https so if you click on the URL, it doesn't work. However, you can type it in manually using https and you'll get to our web site.

    "winged" <> wrote in message news:cp8hv8$...
    | I thought that was you, we talked before, I am the guy 3 below you on
    | the team page...lol i gotz some catching to do I might make 15K units by
    | then. Funny how strange minds work..lol
    | Winged
    |
    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    | > Yes still a SETI phan... as of right now...
    | >
    | > 19448 WUs
    | > 5.569 years processing WUs
    | >
    | > I hope to make 20K by Jan 1, 05. :)
    | > I did not go BOINC
    | >
    | > As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
    | > Windows OS.
    | > When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
    | > the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "winged" <> wrote in message news:cp8aqi$...
    | > | We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
    | > | now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
    | > | one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
    | > | hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
    | > | legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
    | > | people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
    | > | a clean (wiped system)
    | > |
    | > | Dave, you still processing SETI? ;-)
    | > |
    | > | Winged
    | > |
    | > |

    David H. Lipman, Dec 9, 2004
  12. Tim Lister

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:08:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
    >Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use a
    >broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".
    >
    >A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of Win2K
    >SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.
    >
    >Dave

    #############################
    You're playing w/ words. That's a significant amount of conflicts.
    Let's call it the way it is. Are you a politician? MS knows what apps
    are being used. It's unbelievable that a multibillion dollar company
    can't hire programmers to wite a service pack that doesn't cause all
    those problems.
    donnie.
    donnie, Dec 9, 2004
  13. Tim Lister

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:50:08 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
    >Windows OS.
    >When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
    >the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.
    >
    >Dave

    ############################
    It's debatable as to whether or not moving to XP is an upgrade in the
    first place. There was nothing wrong w/ w2k IMO. I handle a small w2k
    network for a motgage company and it's only on a rare occasion that I
    have to go there. If it's not broke don't fix it, unless you want to
    make some money, of course.
    donnie.
    donnie, Dec 9, 2004
  14. There are thousands of applications with millions of possible outcomes. While 50 may seem
    large -- it isn't.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 9, 2004
  15. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > There are thousands of applications with millions of possible
    > outcomes. While 50 may seem large -- it isn't.
    >
    > Dave

    How many of those 50 are fixed when you disable the SP2 Firewall?
    Seems to me that's where most of the complaints are coming from.
    Not-My-Real-Name, Dec 10, 2004