Can't open files in Word 2003

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The-Wisest-One, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
    to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.

    Something tries to run a "virus scan" and then a help thing pops up
    telling me

    You may be encoutering this message because an anti-virus program is
    not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
    conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
    a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
    the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
    the virus it has found.
    In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
    as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
    latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
    software manufacturers have created updates to address known
    compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
    provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
    Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
    forms of viruses.
    If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
    of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
    advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
    available from the vendor.
    If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
    version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
    date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
    likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
    cannot remove the infection.
    There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
    be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
    Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
    recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
    available with the application (not all applications have file
    recovery or repair capabilities).
    For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article 835404.

    How do I get around this abordo?

    I Am A Man...and nothing human is alien to me.

    The Earth is One Great Country, and humankind it's citizens.

    Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

    Join the worlds greatest no-spin discussion forum in Cyberspace.

    The-Wisest-One, Feb 27, 2006

  2. The-Wisest-One

    Donald Guest

    Install a new anti-virus

    Donald, Feb 27, 2006

  3. The-Wisest-One

    Guest

    Also try uninstalling and reinstalling Word.
    , Feb 27, 2006
  4. The-Wisest-One

    socrtwo Guest

    Also try uninstalling and reinstalling Word.
    socrtwo, Feb 27, 2006
  5. The-Wisest-One

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:18:35 +0000, The-Wisest-One wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try

    *HOW* did you remove it? Did you remove it properly (sounds not) or did you
    just delete files willy-nilly? Suggest you reinstall it and uninstall it
    properly (via the control panel).
    Margolotta, Feb 28, 2006
  6. The-Wisest-One

    Clarissa Guest

    Re: Anxiety and body temp. rises???

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    Margolotta <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > When companies ship styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

    boxes.
    Clarissa, Feb 28, 2006
  7. The-Wisest-One

    Tony Guest

    >I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
    > to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.
    >
    > Something tries to run a "virus scan" and then a help thing pops up
    > telling me
    >
    > You may be encoutering this message because an anti-virus program is
    > not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
    > conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
    > a compability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
    > the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
    > the virus it has found.
    > In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
    > as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
    > latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
    > software manufacturers have created updates to address known
    > compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
    > provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
    > Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
    > forms of viruses.
    > If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
    > of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
    > advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
    > available from the vendor.
    > If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
    > version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
    > date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
    > likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
    > cannot remove the infection.
    > There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
    > be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
    > Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
    > recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
    > available with the application (not all applications have file
    > recovery or repair capabilities).
    > For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
    > Base article 835404.
    >

    > How do I get around this abordo?

    Dowmload and run the Norton Removal tool Rnav2003.exe from
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606 . Then
    download and run Ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com, using the fix issues
    option.
    Tony, Feb 28, 2006
  8. I removed it Willy, Nilly, Billy, Gilly, and Lilly.

    I solved the problem though.

    I reformatted the hard drive yesterday.

    I have been reloading stuff all day today and I should be back in
    business by Thursday.

    Thanks for the help.

    The-Wisest-One, Mar 1, 2006
  9. The-Wisest-One

    Plato Guest

    The-Wisest-One wrote:

    > I removed as much of Norton Antivirus 2005 as I could. Now when I try
    > to open a Microsoft Word 2003 file., they won't open.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm
    Try the 2004/2005 nortons removal thingamig on the above page.
    Plato, Mar 1, 2006