can't open downloaded .dmg antivirus & firewall software file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by intl04, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. intl04

    intl04 Guest

    I just purchased Norton Security Software 3.0 for the Mac (both
    antivirus and firewall) and downloaded the software. The file appears
    on the desktop as a blank icon with a .dmg extension. I believe that
    ..dmg is an OSX-version file, but the system requirement for the 3.0
    version of the security software is to just have OS 9.x and above (I
    have version 9.2.2).

    When I click on the icon, I get the error message:
    "Could not find the application program that created the document
    named NISr300_ESD_B55.dmg. To open the document, select an alternate
    program:"

    Stuffit Expander is listed at that point. When I choose to open
    Stuffit Expander, nothing happens. (I just downloaded the trial
    version of Stuffit Standard 7.0.3 yesterday; I used to have Stuffit
    Expander 5.5, and that version seemed to work fine when I upgraded
    yesterday from OS 9.0.4 to 9.1, then from 9.1 to 9.2.1, then from
    9.2.1 to 9.2.2.)

    When I try to drag the blank .dmg icon onto the Stuffit Expander icon,
    I get the following error message:

    "The file NISr300_ESD_B55.dmg does not appear to be compressed or
    encoded. It is advised that you obtain further information about the
    contents of this file from the sender or provider of the file."

    What am I doing wrong? Is there some other type of software I need to
    purchase to be able to open and install the .dmg file that contains
    Norton Security 3.0 for the Mac?

    Also, when I first upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1 by installing the 9.1
    software, I got the following error message:

    "Problems were encountered with the file 'Big System Morsels'.
    Installation cannot continue."

    (apparently that's a system file of some sort; I don't have any file
    that I called by that name)

    When I installed again, I didn't get that error message. Subsequent
    upgrades that same evening from 9.1 to 9.2.1 then to 9.2.2 worked
    fine. But because I did get such an error message during the OS
    upgrade process, could that be contributing to problems on the Mac
    now? (It seems to be working fine, other than the error message I
    described above.)

    Hope to hear from someone soon about this. Thanks in advance for any
    help!

    intl04, Nov 1, 2003

  2. intl04

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    The .dmg file is an OS X disk copy image file.
    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DMG

    Since you have an OS version prior to OS X, it stands to reason
    that it will not play ball.

    On 1 Nov 2003 06:38:37 -0800, in
    <>
    intl04 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003

  3. intl04

    Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:54:05 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote in alt.comp.anti-virus:

    ><Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    Not so fast....

    >The .dmg file is an OS X disk copy image file.
    >http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DMG

    Which begs the question of *where* this "Norton Security Software 3.0
    for the Mac" was purchased. Norton wouldn't provide it in that form,
    would they? The only software I see in that form comes from crackers
    and/or spammers.

    Perhaps it's best it can't be opened. It might be best to call the
    credit card company and disallow that charge and get a new card, as
    well.

    Carol

    , Nov 2, 2003
  4. <> wrote:

    > Which begs the question of *where* this "Norton Security Software 3.0
    > for the Mac" was purchased. Norton wouldn't provide it in that form,
    > would they? The only software I see in that form comes from crackers
    > and/or spammers.

    Sadly, Symantec not only would do that, they definitely do. A client of
    mine recently bought, via download, NAV 9.0, and it came in the form of
    a .dmg image file, which was of little use to the client since he's
    still running OS 9.2.2.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Rosenberg, Nov 2, 2003
  5. intl04

    motzingw

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Disk copy can open .DMG files

    Try opening the .dmg file using disk copy in Mac OS 9.2. I have not tested it but the site says this vesion runs in OS 9.2 and opens >DMG files.

    http://www.pure-mac.com/appud.html#diskcopy

    Best of luck

    motzingw, Aug 17, 2006