    will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

    Anybody got any ideas?

    Writerosity
    Writerosity, Oct 8, 2008

  2. Writerosity

    PeeCee Guest

    "Writerosity" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    > list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    > icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    > this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    > will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas?
    >
    > Writerosity

    Possible faults.
    a) Shortcut won't work because your CD drive has changed drive letters.
    b) the power and or data lead have disconnected from the drive.
    c) the drive has died.

    Possible solutions
    A) You don't specify your OS but in XP or Vista go to Control Panel,
    Administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management and reassign the
    drive letter you want.
    B) Open case and reattach disconnected leads.
    C) Install a new drive.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 8, 2008

  3. Writerosity

    VanguardLH Guest

    Writerosity wrote:

    > For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    > list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    > icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    > this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    > will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

    Do you see the CD in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)? If not, the drive
    doesn't exist to the OS. You have a hardware problem. If so, do you
    see it in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)?

    When you boot and get the status screen after the POST completes but
    before Windows gets loaded, is the CD drive listed as a detected device?
    VanguardLH, Oct 8, 2008
  4. Writerosity

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <gci0h3$e1f$>, the lovely
    and talented PeeCee broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Writerosity" <> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    >> list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    >> icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    >> this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    >> will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"
    >>
    >> Anybody got any ideas?
    >>
    >> Writerosity

    > Possible faults.
    > a) Shortcut won't work because your CD drive has changed drive letters.
    > b) the power and or data lead have disconnected from the drive.
    > c) the drive has died.

    Some place in here, I suggest booting and watching the boot messages to see
    if the BIOS is detecting the drive. If not, then almost certainly it is a
    connection or dead drive thing. If it is detecting the drive, it may be
    possible to edit the BIOS configuration to "move" (i.e. electronically)
    where your OS expects it.

    If the drive is being recognized by the BIOS, whether you want to try
    wrestling the BIOS configuration, the wiring, or your OS first is pretty
    much a matter of your comfort level with these possible approaches.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    The Daily Beagle <http://larseighner.com/Daily_Beagle/>
    Lars Eighner, Oct 8, 2008
  5. Writerosity

    chuckcar Guest

    Writerosity <> wrote in

    > For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    > list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    > icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    > this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    > will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas?
    >
    > Writerosity

    My bet is that you have an open session CD in there. Try shutting down.
    Hold your finger on the eject button on the CD. While you do that, turn
    the computer on. Keep your finger on the eject button until the disk is
    *completely* ejected. Take the disc out of the tray and leave it out until
    you've started your cd burning software. If the tray doesn't eject and the
    light comes on the drive, the eject mechanism is fouled. Probably for a
    related reason...

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 8, 2008
  6. Writerosity

    Tony Guest

    Headers say Windows NT 5.1. The problem your telling us about only occurs
    mostly in windows 98. There is an .exe file that will fix the problem in
    windows 98 but not in windows xp or vista.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 9, 2008
  7. Writerosity

    Tony Guest

    I think a better idea is turn off all the lights and watch the front of the
    cdrom for any light while his pig of a computer boots.

    Tony, Oct 9, 2008
  8. Writerosity

    chuckcar Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > "Writerosity" <> wrote in message
    >> For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    >> list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    >> icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    >> this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    >> will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"
    >>
    >> Anybody got any ideas?
    >>
    >> Writerosity

    > This is going to be sketchy, but the same thing happened to me. I'm
    > using Windows 98 (hurrah), and for some reason the OS went into
    > ...uhh... "protected" mode or "native" mode or something (help me here,
    > Helpdesk). The result was no CD drives showing in Windows Explorer or
    > Device Manager.
    >
    > After a looong search, I learned the fix was to restore normal mode by
    > changing a single value in the Windows Registry. I still don't know
    > what caused the OS to freak like that. I'm offering this because no one
    > else has suggested it as a possibility yet.

    Changing the drive to run in 32 bit mode if the bios doesn't support it
    will do that. That's pretty well unlikely now unless he has a P1 or lower.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 9, 2008
  9. Writerosity

    Plato Guest

    Writerosity wrote:

    > For some reason, the CD Drive won't open, and My Computer does not
    > list a CD Drive in there. When I click on the Shortcut to CD Drive
    > icon on the desktop, a window pops us that says,"The item 'D:\' that
    > this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut
    > will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?"

    boot to dos, see if it opens, if not, its bad

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 10, 2008