Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Have eMachine with WindowsXP

    Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
    I get the following error message:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error !
    Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    abnormal program termination

    I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
    My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
    error message.

    I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
    from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
    and I can now open 'sub' folders.

    But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
    Even when I type a web address I get the message.

    I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
    went away, but now it is back.

    Any ideas ???

    EP.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Re: Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages. ps

    "English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:

    >Have eMachine with WindowsXP
    >
    >Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
    >I get the following error message:
    >
    >Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >Runtime Error !
    >Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    >abnormal program termination
    >
    >I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
    >My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
    >error message.
    >
    >I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
    >from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
    >and I can now open 'sub' folders.
    >
    >But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
    >Even when I type a web address I get the message.
    >
    >I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
    >went away, but now it is back.
    >
    >Any ideas ???
    >
    >EP.

    I've just found that by making a desktop shortcut to google I can successfully
    open the webpage. And once I have this open I can use my favourites ok.
    But trying to open a web-page directly from an open folder I get the error.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Re: Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages. ps. doh!

    "English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:

    >"English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Have eMachine with WindowsXP
    >>
    >>Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
    >>I get the following error message:
    >>
    >>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >>Runtime Error !
    >>Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    >>abnormal program termination
    >>
    >>I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
    >>My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
    >>error message.
    >>
    >>I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
    >>from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
    >>and I can now open 'sub' folders.
    >>
    >>But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
    >>Even when I type a web address I get the message.
    >>
    >>I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
    >>went away, but now it is back.
    >>
    >>Any ideas ???
    >>
    >>EP.
    >>

    >I've just found that by making a desktop shortcut to google I can successfully
    >open the webpage. And once I have this open I can use my favourites ok.
    >But trying to open a web-page directly from an open folder I get the error.

    There must be a name for someone who asks a particular question,
    the answer to which could be v.easily found my putting said question
    into google.

    In my defense I thought my problem was preventing my from opening
    any web-pages.

    I googled, I dnlded BHOCaptor 0.5 (wthtmb) and bingo everything is rosy.

    I guess I didn't need to do that damn complete-system restore thing
    afterall.

    EP.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006