Can't Load Newspaper

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Promajority, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Greetings,

    I started with the Firefox browser and then moved up to Mozilla 1.7.2
    and use the browser that comes with it. I've been using the latter For
    the past couple of months and in particular it's been an extremely
    useful for browsing a couple a couple of online newspapers that I access
    from www.canada.com (the full online editions of the National Post and
    the Ottawa Citizen both of which require paid subscriptions). What makes
    it useful is the vastly superior page saving ability compared to both
    MIE and Netscape. Because of this, I've been able to decrease the time
    it takes to get through each paper by at least 30%.

    Over the past couple of days, however, I've been having considerable
    difficulty. Most of the time when I attempt to sign there's a delay
    followed by a window with the following:

    "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested
    page. This may be cause by cookies that are blocked."

    I went to the Cookie settings and under "Cookie Acceptance Policy" I
    changed the selection to "Allow all cookies" figuring that this would
    unblock whatever might be blocked. No such luck.

    Interestingly, I can sometimes get past the sign in window and the paper
    will load. However, if I try changing the size, viewing an article or
    turning the page the above window pops up again.

    I can access both papers in MIE with no such difficulty, yet I have the
    same problem when using Netscape. I did not change any settings -
    cookies or otherwise - so I have no idea why this accessibility issue
    suddenly arose.

    Is this a common problem? Does anyone have any idea as to how it can be
    corrected?

    I tried a half dozen other browsers but unfortunately in all of them
    the page saving feature is exactly as it is in MIE and that's no good.

    Merci/Thanks

    Promajority, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    I forgot to mention that I have the same problem described below when
    using Firefox. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Firefox but that
    didn't solve anything.

    I also just tried accessing the Ottawa Citizen again using Mozilla and I
    was able to sign in and access an article and actually get to p. 2 but
    then couldn't get to p. 3 and instead got the following window again:

    "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested
    page. This may be cause by cookies that are blocked."

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Merci/Thanks.

    P.S. If choose to email please remove NOSPAM from my address.

    Promajority, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Promajority

    Tony Raven Guest

    Promajority wrote:

    > I forgot to mention that I have the same problem described below when
    > using Firefox. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Firefox but that
    > didn't solve anything.
    >
    > I also just tried accessing the Ottawa Citizen again using Mozilla and I
    > was able to sign in and access an article and actually get to p. 2 but
    > then couldn't get to p. 3 and instead got the following window again:
    >
    > "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested
    > page. This may be cause by cookies that are blocked."
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    You could try the following: Get the User Agent Switcher Extension and
    set it so that your browser looks to the website as if it is IE rather
    than Firefox. I find for most problem or "blocked to non MS user"
    websites that does the trick.

    If it works don't forget to set it back to Firefox afterwards - don't
    want to distort the browser user statistics in MS's favour do we ;-)

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Promajority wrote:
    >
    >> I forgot to mention that I have the same problem described below when
    >> using Firefox. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Firefox but that
    >> didn't solve anything.
    >>
    >> I also just tried accessing the Ottawa Citizen again using Mozilla and
    >> I was able to sign in and access an article and actually get to p. 2
    >> but then couldn't get to p. 3 and instead got the following window again:
    >>
    >> "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested
    >> page. This may be cause by cookies that are blocked."
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > You could try the following: Get the User Agent Switcher Extension and
    > set it so that your browser looks to the website as if it is IE rather
    > than Firefox. I find for most problem or "blocked to non MS user"
    > websites that does the trick.
    >
    > If it works don't forget to set it back to Firefox afterwards - don't
    > want to distort the browser user statistics in MS's favour do we ;-)
    >

    > Tony

    Tony,

    Thanks for your prompt reply.

    I installed the User Agent Switcher Extension and when using Mozilla I
    set it to IE and it didn't work and neither did the two others (Netscape
    and Opera 7.51). With all of the non-default selections I got a window
    requesting that I activate Active MS X or something like that (I don't
    remember exactly what it was) and now that window doesn't even show up
    anymore and I can't even get a login window even when using the default
    selection.

    I tried Firefox (I couldn't see the Agent Switcher Extension option) and
    at first I was able to actually log in and access one of the papers.
    However, I'm either able to access one article and then not be able to
    turn the page (or else I get the window stating "Redirection limit for
    this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page.), or I can turn
    the page and then get the aforementioned window if I attempt to open an
    article. So if I'm fortunate enough to sign in and actually access one
    of the papers it won't let me perform more than one function before I
    get that window.

    What on earth could have gone wrong here? How could everything be
    working absolutely fine for a couple of months and then suddenly without
    me changing any settings it's not working properly when attempting to
    access these online newspapers (every other site seems to work fine)?

    Promajority, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Promajority

    Tony Raven Guest

    Promajority wrote:
    > Thanks for your prompt reply.
    >
    > I installed the User Agent Switcher Extension and when using Mozilla I
    > set it to IE and it didn't work and neither did the two others (Netscape
    > and Opera 7.51). With all of the non-default selections I got a window
    > requesting that I activate Active MS X or something like that (I don't
    > remember exactly what it was) and now that window doesn't even show up
    > anymore and I can't even get a login window even when using the default
    > selection.
    >
    > I tried Firefox (I couldn't see the Agent Switcher Extension option) and
    > at first I was able to actually log in and access one of the papers.
    > However, I'm either able to access one article and then not be able to
    > turn the page (or else I get the window stating "Redirection limit for
    > this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page.), or I can turn
    > the page and then get the aforementioned window if I attempt to open an
    > article. So if I'm fortunate enough to sign in and actually access one
    > of the papers it won't let me perform more than one function before I
    > get that window.
    >
    > What on earth could have gone wrong here? How could everything be
    > working absolutely fine for a couple of months and then suddenly without
    > me changing any settings it's not working properly when attempting to
    > access these online newspapers (every other site seems to work fine)?

    It most probably isn't you but something they've changed on the site.
    Its sounds like the problem is it is using a Microsoft specific device
    called ActiveX control. Generally best avoided as it is the main source
    of unwanted intrusions into your computer. It is not supported in
    Firefox and although there is an extension, it is not recommended. See:
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html#qa-npmozax
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows1.html#ActiveX

    If there is no alternative the only thing I can suggest is getting the
    IEView extension. It allows you to open a link in IE from Firefox. It
    doesn't solve the problem but just makes the switch to IE for those
    pages easier.
    http://ieview.mozdev.org/

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Promajority

    --Brian-- Guest

    Promajority wrote:

    [snip]

    > I can access both papers in MIE with no such difficulty, yet I have the
    > same problem when using Netscape. I did not change any settings -
    > cookies or otherwise - so I have no idea why this accessibility issue
    > suddenly arose.
    >
    > Is this a common problem? Does anyone have any idea as to how it can be
    > corrected?
    >
    > I tried a half dozen other browsers but unfortunately in all of them the
    > page saving feature is exactly as it is in MIE and that's no good.

    Perhaps you could email someone from the contacts section, and ask if
    they support Mozilla/Netscape on their website. At least you'll no for
    sure the problem is on their end.
    --
    Brian

    --Brian--, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Promajority wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your prompt reply.
    >>
    >> I installed the User Agent Switcher Extension and when using Mozilla I
    >> set it to IE and it didn't work and neither did the two others
    >> (Netscape and Opera 7.51). With all of the non-default selections I
    >> got a window requesting that I activate Active MS X or something like
    >> that (I don't remember exactly what it was) and now that window
    >> doesn't even show up anymore and I can't even get a login window even
    >> when using the default selection.
    >>
    >> I tried Firefox (I couldn't see the Agent Switcher Extension option)
    >> and at first I was able to actually log in and access one of the
    >> papers. However, I'm either able to access one article and then not be
    >> able to turn the page (or else I get the window stating "Redirection
    >> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page.), or I
    >> can turn the page and then get the aforementioned window if I attempt
    >> to open an article. So if I'm fortunate enough to sign in and actually
    >> access one of the papers it won't let me perform more than one
    >> function before I get that window.
    >>
    >> What on earth could have gone wrong here? How could everything be
    >> working absolutely fine for a couple of months and then suddenly
    >> without me changing any settings it's not working properly when
    >> attempting to access these online newspapers (every other site seems
    >> to work fine)?
    >>

    > It most probably isn't you but something they've changed on the site.
    > Its sounds like the problem is it is using a Microsoft specific device
    > called ActiveX control. Generally best avoided as it is the main source
    > of unwanted intrusions into your computer. It is not supported in
    > Firefox and although there is an extension, it is not recommended. See:
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html#qa-npmozax
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows1.html#ActiveX
    >
    > If there is no alternative the only thing I can suggest is getting the
    > IEView extension. It allows you to open a link in IE from Firefox. It
    > doesn't solve the problem but just makes the switch to IE for those
    > pages easier.
    > http://ieview.mozdev.org/
    >
    > Tony

    Tony,

    I installed the IEView extension but it didn't do any since logging in
    was a challenge. However, that doesn't mean that it won't be useful at
    some point.

    As of late last night the problem has been corrected which is a HUGE
    relief. You were also correct (as I suspected you were) in that the
    problem was at their end and not with my computer or with any of the
    settings in Firefox and Mozilla. I don't know what they did this weekend
    but whatever it was it caused a lot of frustration (including me staying
    up all of Friday night until mid-morning on Saturday attempting to
    figure out what was wrong). I should have let it go after around 20
    minutes but I have a serious stubborn streak when it comes to technical
    issues.

    Besides having a vastly superior means of saving articles in these
    online newspapers (the full edition ones in .pdf format from
    www.canada.com) compared to both IE and Netscape, the pages move MUCH
    more quickly when using both Firefox and Mozilla so I'm extremely
    pleased that things are back to normal.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Promajority, Sep 13, 2004
  8. Promajority

    Promajority Guest

    --Brian-- wrote:

    > Promajority wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I can access both papers in MIE with no such difficulty, yet I have
    >> the same problem when using Netscape. I did not change any settings -
    >> cookies or otherwise - so I have no idea why this accessibility issue
    >> suddenly arose.
    >>
    >> Is this a common problem? Does anyone have any idea as to how it can
    >> be corrected?
    >>
    >> I tried a half dozen other browsers but unfortunately in all of them
    >> the page saving feature is exactly as it is in MIE and that's no good.

    > Perhaps you could email someone from the contacts section, and ask if
    > they support Mozilla/Netscape on their website. At least you'll no for
    > sure the problem is on their end.

    Brian,

    The tech support people told me that they support Netscape but not
    Mozilla. However, I had been using Mozilla for almost two months to even
    though they don't support it it can be used to browse the papers.

    Anyway, the problem has since been corrected and everything is back to
    normal.

    Thanks for replying.

    Promajority, Sep 13, 2004
  9. Promajority

    Tony Raven Guest

    Promajority wrote:

    > Brian,
    >
    > The tech support people told me that they support Netscape but not
    > Mozilla. However, I had been using Mozilla for almost two months to even
    > though they don't support it it can be used to browse the papers.

    Well at least they are not as condescendingly dismissive as this lot
    (has to be opened in Firefox to appreciate)
    http://www.landrover.co.nz/

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Sep 13, 2004
  10. Promajority

    Adrian Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Well at least they are not as condescendingly dismissive as this lot
    > (has to be opened in Firefox to appreciate)

    > http://www.landrover.co.nz/
    >
    > Tony

    That page sux!

    So I sent them some feed back!