Can't join Vista x64 PC to domain - RPC error

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Peter Lawton, May 15, 2008.

  1. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I'm trying to join a Vista x64 Business SP1 PC to our W2003 domain but it's
    failing every time with one of the following errors:-

    "the RPC server is unavailable"

    "the remote procedure call failed"

    I can see the domain and can map drives to domain servers from the Vista box

    I've disabled IPv6

    XP PCs can join the domain with no issues

    Anyone come across this?

    Thanks

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 15, 2008

  2. Peter Lawton

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Peter Lawton" <DevNull@fakedomain> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to join a Vista x64 Business SP1 PC to our W2003 domain but
    > it's failing every time with one of the following errors:-
    >
    > "the RPC server is unavailable"
    >
    > "the remote procedure call failed"
    >
    > I can see the domain and can map drives to domain servers from the Vista
    > box
    >
    > I've disabled IPv6
    >
    > XP PCs can join the domain with no issues
    >
    > Anyone come across this?
    >
    > Thanks

    That happened to me when I was trying to use our ISP's
    DNS IP addresses. When I had DHCP hand out our own
    DNS Server's address, Vista joined the domain with no problem,

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, May 15, 2008

  3. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion

    I checked with ipconfig and it's using our internal DNS server on the domain
    controllers, from DHCP.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 15, 2008
  4. Are you running in an SBS environment? Or is there an ISA server on your
    network? Either of those can cause issues. The workaround is to disable the
    RPC filter if you've got ISA, and to install the updated for SBS that
    supports Vista (including x64).

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2008
  5. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Thanks I think it was ISA causing it, disabling the RPC filter allowed it to
    join the domain.

    Very strange behavior, we've never had the same issue with XP or W2003, just
    put it down to yet another Vista "feature" I suppose :(

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 19, 2008
  6. Ha! ISA's RPC filter is the issue, and it will cause a failure on any 64-bit
    client. I think I first blogged about that back in 2005.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2008