Can't join domain: Network path not found

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by daveh551, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. daveh551

    daveh551

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I know I have encountered this before, and resolved it, so it's probably been asked a thousand times, and I apologize.

    I'm trying to re-join my computer to my domain, and despite everything I've tried, I get the message "The following error occurred when trying to join the domain 'hq.infotouchsys.com': Network path not found"

    I have a single server running as the primary domain controller (PDC) for the windows domain HQ. The domain name server (DNS) is running on that computer, and the domain hq.infotouchs.sys is registered there. The workstation that I'm trying to join to the domain points to the PDC for its DNS server.

    The computer I'm trying to register was registered in that domain before, then I moved, and switched ISP's, and when I brought the computer back up on the network, it gave me a permissions error accessing any of the network shares. So I figured that, because of the new network parameters, the active directory was not recognizing it as the same computer. I deleted it from the domain (by changing the "Computer Name" properties of "My Computer" to put it in a workgroup ("HOME") instead of a Domain. That worked fine, and I rejoined the domain okay the first time, but in doing so, I set the TCP Properties wrong and had the gateway pointed at the domain controller instead of the router. (Result was that I couldn't get to the internet, even though I could see the router and all the files on the PDC). When I discovered and corrected that error, I once again had permission problems accessing the network shares. So once again, I changed it to a workgroup, but now, whatever I do, I get the "network path not found" error when trying to rejoin the domain.

    When I do a "Search for Computers" from My Networks, using either the unqualified name of the server, or the fully qualified name, it finds it. So I don't no what else it can be searching for that it's not finding.

    Just for info, here's the output of ipconfig /all:
    (The router is 192.168.1.1, and the PDC is 192.168.1.99)

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HANNA-ASSOC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hq.infotouchsys.com

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hq.infotouchsys.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:31:30 AM

    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 10, 2007 5:31:29 AM

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out over this one.

    Thanks.
    daveh551, Aug 9, 2007