    clean drive I get either the blue screen or it tells me to see my system
    admin. Are there some files I need to replace in the xp professional install
    on my c drive that were changed by vista?

    =?Utf-8?B?cmhhaWNr?=, Jan 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhaWNr?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need 3 files on the 'system drive' (active partition on first boot
    priority hard drive) to begin the boot process. ntldr ntdetect.com and a
    boot.ini file.
    you can copy the first two from your x64 install cd to the system drive.
    Use the Recovery Console to create a new boot.ini using bootcfg /rebuild
    at the command prompt
    You may also need to do a fixboot on the c drive while you are there.
    If you are still having a problem you can do a fixmbr from the Recovery
    Console.
    This doesn't explain the BSOD or your other message though, but since you
    deleted your boot.ini and have overwritten the other files are a necessary
    step anyway.

    John Barnes, Jan 23, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?cmhhaWNr?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, rhaick.

    HOW are you trying to reinstall WinXP x64? (Or do you REALLY mean xp64?
    Microsoft already used "xp64" to mean the version for Intel's Itanium. For
    AMD64 CPUs, it's the "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition", with no "p".)

    If you boot from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and install on that reformatted HD, it
    should offer to create and format the partition for you, then install WinXP
    there. But it will still, as John Barnes said, write some critical stuff to
    the Active partition on the HD set in the BIOS as your boot device. This
    "System Partition" usually is Drive C:, but not always. In addition to the
    3 files John mentioned (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini), all of which will
    be in C:\, Setup will also write a new boot sector as the first physical
    sector of that System Partition.

    You cannot install a 64-bit Windows by booting into 32-bit Windows and
    running Setup from there.

    What kind of hard drive is your boot device? If it is not "vanilla" IDE,
    then drivers for it may not be on the WinXP CD-ROM. In that case, you
    probably would get a BSOD with Stop 0x7B, Inaccessible_Boot_Device. To
    install WinXP (either version) to boot from that HD, you will need to get
    the drivers (32-bit or 64-bit) on a floppy and use the F6 key during Setup
    to install those drivers.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA