Can't install XP x64 SP2

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike T., Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install XP x64 SP2 (currently running SP1), and I continually
    get the following error:
    c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\51f9ddc99bdeac787cf18461eda3f2e5\amd64\update\update.inf
    is not correct.

    This is when I try to install from Windows Update. I've also downloaded the
    file and tried to install manually, but the same problem appears. After
    doing some googling, I saw that there may be an issue with the cryptographic
    service. I checked, and it is indeed running. For good measure, I restarted
    the service.

    There's no rights issue, since my user account has admin rights on the local
    machine (in a workgroup), and the Administrators group has Full Control on
    the C:\windows\inf
    directory. I'va also attempted to install with the Administrator credential.

    Can anyone think of other reasons why this may not install? Thanks!

    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 9, 2007

  2. Mike T.

    John Barnes Guest

    If you don't get a reply here, you can check the updates site. Also,
    Microsoft does provide free support for installing updates.

    John Barnes, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Mike T.

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Mike:
    If you're running IE7, rolling it back to IE6 may cure the error. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Hi Dennis,

    Thaks for getting back to me. Unfortunaely, I'm still running IE6.

    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 9, 2007
  5. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Thanks, John. I'll give that a look as well.

    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 9, 2007