Can't install XP x64 SP2

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike T., Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install XP x64 SP2 (currently running SP1), and I continually
    get the following error:
    c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\51f9ddc99bdeac787cf18461eda3f2e5\amd64\update\update.inf
    is not correct.

    This is when I try to install from Windows Update. I've also downloaded the
    file and tried to install manually, but the same problem appears. After
    doing some googling, I saw that there may be an issue with the cryptographic
    service. I checked, and it is indeed running. For good measure, I restarted
    the service.

    There's no rights issue, since my user account has admin rights on the local
    machine, and the Administrators group has Full Control on the C:\windows.inf
    directory. I'va also attempted to install with the Administrator credential.

    Can anyone think of other reasons why this may not install? Thanks!

    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 9, 2007

  2. Hi Mike,

    I was having the exact same problem and requested email support from
    Microsoft.

    They replied with two utilities attached (Reset_Subinacl.zip).

    Here is what the email said:

    *****
    The most likely cause is that the current user account does not have the
    correct permissions to access related folders and registry keys.

    I suggest we first try the steps below to reset the default permission on
    those folders and registry keys, which will be accessed when installing SP2:

    <<Reset_Subinacl.zip>>

    1. Save the attachment of the email to your Desktop.
    2. Right click on the "Reset_subinacl.ZIP file" and choose "Extract"
    3. Follow the instructions to extract the files to your Desktop. There will
    be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe) extracted.
    4. Double click the reset.cmd file
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
    Note: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished,
    you will receive a message stating "Finished, press any key to continue".

    After the above steps are finished, please, download the full installation
    package of Service Pack 2 from the following website and save it to C:\ (The
    root folder of partition C):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Next, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the following steps to have a
    stable environment to install SP2:

    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
    3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
    Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform
    differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system
    back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

    Go to C:\ to find the full installation package file, which you just
    downloaded, and then double click the file to initialize the installation.

    Can SP2 be installed now?

    If still not, please locate the C:\Windows folder and find the SVCPACK.LOG
    and SETUPAPI.LOG files, and then send them to me at
    for further research. If there are any
    questions or concerns when trying the steps above, please feel free to let me
    know.

    *****

    Suzanne O.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3V6YW5uZQ==?=, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Mike T.

    Guest

    Hi, Mike
    Try to rename the folder SoftwareDistribution in to the
    SoftwareDistribution.old for example and create a new folder called
    SoftwareDistribution.
    Should help I think.

    , Sep 10, 2007
  4. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Re: Can't install XP x64 SP2 -- SOLVED!

    Hi all,

    I found the solution!

    Before loading SP2, I was having trouble installing the update for KB937143.
    I tried one little tweak that worked a long time ago. I set up my volumes as
    follows:
    C: Windows
    D: Programs
    E: Data

    I had changed the following registry keys in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir(x64) to point to D:, where I installed
    my programs. I temporarily changed the keys back to the original C:, and now
    the updates are installing. I learned a lesson for the next machine I set
    up.

    Thanks for all your help!
    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 10, 2007
  5. Hello,
    You can try repairing IE. I have heard this works sometimes.

    Repair IE by finding ie.inf in c:\windows\inf.
    Right-click on the file and select "repair" from the menu.
    After it finished the repair reboot
    Then try to reinstall the service pack.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 11, 2007
  6. Re: Can't install XP x64 SP2 -- SOLVED!

    > I learned a lesson for the next machine I set up.

    Not changing the location of such critical folders by editing the registry?

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 13, 2007
  7. Mike T.

    "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> I learned a lesson for the next machine I set up.

    > Not changing the location of such critical folders by editing the
    > registry?

    Pretty much...I had set up one volume for the OS, one for programs, and one
    for data. In the future, I plan to keep the separate data volume, but I
    won't split programs off.

    Mike

    Mike T., Sep 13, 2007
  8. Re: Can't install XP x64 SP2 -- SOLVED!

    >>> I learned a lesson for the next machine I set up.
    >>
    >> Not changing the location of such critical folders by editing the
    >> registry?
    >>

    > Pretty much...I had set up one volume for the OS, one for programs, and
    > one for data. In the future, I plan to keep the separate data volume, but
    > I won't split programs off.

    :eek:) And here I thought my reply was going to get misinterpreted as sarcasm.

    For years, I've kept my programs and OS on separate partitions...until I
    came to the realization that if my OS dies and I have to reinstall it, all
    my apps are gonna have to be reinstalled as well--this scheme has never
    saved me any grief.

    I now keep my OS and applications on the same partition (~30GB, which is
    plenty for me), and all my data elsewhere. My Documents has also been moved
    to its own partition as well, and I've moved Favorites and my Outlook PSTs
    under My Documents. I currently don't have any data on my C: drive I have
    to backup if I need to blow away the OS partition on short notice.

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 14, 2007