Cant install XP to SATA drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I've just built my system & now have a chance to try to get everything
    loaded...but I can't. I'm using a Gigabyte K8NS-ultra939 board with a SATA
    hard drive that is a western digital 250GB. I do have it plugged into the
    part of the board that says is for hot-swappable type of drive (remove with
    power on), not the plugs up by the CPU (I'd forgot to connect the cable
    earlier & this was just easy to get to). But when I boot up with a Windows
    9x boot disk it DOES see the drive (my BIOS does say no drives on IDE 2 & 3,
    I'm guessing those 2 SATA connections I didn't hook it up to?). FDISK
    recognizes the drive as normal (well as normal as Win95 FDISK sees something
    over 64GB anyway). So if the Win9x boot disk sees it then why does XP say
    that it can't find a drive & has to quit? I have only 2 IDE devices & they
    are my DVD drives (RW & ROM).

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who don't.

    Daniel, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Daniel

    doS Guest

    You need to install the sata drivers during the OS install.

    doS, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > You need to install the sata drivers during the OS install.

    OK I changed it to a different plug (one that it displays the connection for
    on bootup & BIOS) & it does detect now....forgot it was a 200GB not 250, but
    still large.

    HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE WINDOWS TO FORMAT A 200GB DRIVE?!!! (Maybe it would be
    faster to watch Lord of the Rings....extended
    edition....trillogy.....including The Hobbit...)

    I didn't see a way to split the partition on install, though I was sure you
    could. Can I do this AFTER install?

    &

    Daniel, Apr 10, 2005
  4. "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in message

    > OK I changed it to a different plug (one that it displays the connection

    for
    > on bootup & BIOS) & it does detect now....forgot it was a 200GB not 250,

    but
    > still large.
    >
    > HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE WINDOWS TO FORMAT A 200GB DRIVE?!!! (Maybe it would

    be
    > faster to watch Lord of the Rings....extended
    > edition....trillogy.....including The Hobbit...)

    It took about five seconds to format my 60 gig partition WD S-ATA 10K RPM
    drive. It then took about 15 minutes to format my ATA 100 IDE 40 gig
    drive...

    Michael Cargill, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Daniel

    MrGrumpy Guest

    No you cannot change/add partitions after install, other than with a third
    party tool. eg Partition Magic

    MrGrumpy, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Daniel

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Unless of course you want to start over

    MrGrumpy, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "MrGrumpy" <> wrote in message
    > Unless of course you want to start over

    I ended up doing that....40GB on all & 26GB for remaining.

    Daniel, Apr 11, 2005