Can't install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Express)*

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this problem my dad's friend
    is having with the Update feature in WinXP. He had me over to look at his
    machine because he just got DSL and wanted to see if he had it hooked up
    right. He did and he could surf the internet and check his email, but his
    AVG would no longer update the virus definitions when he clicked on UPDATE
    (it said he needed to establish a connection to the internet to update) and
    his Windows Update feature would not install the critical update "Windows XP
    Service Pack 1 (Express)*". I managed to get the other updates listed in
    Windows XP to install with no problem, but when I clicked on the "Windows XP
    Service Pack 1 (Express)*" update in the Critical Updates section, it starts
    to load (after I agreed to the disclaimer and such) and is going along okay
    when it suddenly crashes and then I get the following error message in a
    pop-up box on the screen: "Windows Service Pack Setup has encountered a
    problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    I have tried using google to look up the error message, but to no avail. We
    did discover that he had three viruses on his machine, the I-Worm/Bagle.C,
    but AVG caught them and fixed them it said. I also loaded the I-Worm/Bagle.C
    virus removal tool just to be sure. I tried several times after this as well
    and restarted numerous times. It crashes and then tells me that it was
    unable to install this pack and keeps it listed under "Review and install
    updates." It shows up as failed in the "View installation history" for each
    time tried.

    TIA,
    Mike

    ---
    Mike, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Mike

    Ghostrider Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this problem my dad's friend
    > is having with the Update feature in WinXP. He had me over to look at his
    > machine because he just got DSL and wanted to see if he had it hooked up
    > right. He did and he could surf the internet and check his email, but his
    > AVG would no longer update the virus definitions when he clicked on UPDATE
    > (it said he needed to establish a connection to the internet to update) and
    > his Windows Update feature would not install the critical update "Windows XP
    > Service Pack 1 (Express)*". I managed to get the other updates listed in
    > Windows XP to install with no problem, but when I clicked on the "Windows XP
    > Service Pack 1 (Express)*" update in the Critical Updates section, it starts
    > to load (after I agreed to the disclaimer and such) and is going along okay
    > when it suddenly crashes and then I get the following error message in a
    > pop-up box on the screen: "Windows Service Pack Setup has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    > I have tried using google to look up the error message, but to no avail. We
    > did discover that he had three viruses on his machine, the I-Worm/Bagle.C,
    > but AVG caught them and fixed them it said. I also loaded the I-Worm/Bagle.C
    > virus removal tool just to be sure. I tried several times after this as well
    > and restarted numerous times. It crashes and then tells me that it was
    > unable to install this pack and keeps it listed under "Review and install
    > updates." It shows up as failed in the "View installation history" for each
    > time tried.
    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    Forget about doing the Express Windows XP Service Pack 1 update.
    Download the entire Service Pack and install it. Much easier and
    reduces problems of 2-way communications between the computer and
    Microsoft.

    As for AVG, although instructions are not clear from Grisoft, set
    the server address, e.g., free.grisoft.cz, and uncheck the box that
    reads "User confirms Dial-Up connection". Dial-up connection is
    not needed since DSL is treated as a direct internet connection.
    Ghostrider, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Mike

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. Will have to go his place and try them out in
    the morning. One quick point though. I don't think it was a communication
    problem as much as something else. I am pretty sure it was already
    downloaded and in the middle of actually installing it on his machine when
    it crashes. Don't know if this changes anything though. I guess I won't know
    until I go give it a try.

    Thanks Again,
    Mike

    Mike, Mar 3, 2004