    Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
    off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

    I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.
    al jones, Jun 19, 2007

  2. al jones

    tanmoycool

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    here is my little effort to solve ...

    first you try to check the bios
    then if you find it(BIOS) ok then
    try to collect a bootable OS(I will say it WIN XP) CD
    then u start ur machine
    go to bios setting at the begining(Possibly by pressing some function key or DEL button.. it will be instructed to you on the screen but be fast it appears for few seconds)
    then u change boot sequence to cd rom instead of your hard drive
    then a message will come displaying booting from CD Rom...
    rest of the thing will be instructed by the OS support as it start booting...
    at the time of booting it also checks for the currently installed hardware ands its driver and necsery stuffs....
    most of these are automated u need nt to do anyhing ;
    hope your PC will start soon....

    for further help u can call me on 0091 9226248048
    or mail me on

    with best regards
    Tanmoy

    tanmoycool, Jun 19, 2007

  3. al jones

    Gazwad Guest

    al jones <>, the grossly-fat-vagrant and lewd
    ripe fruit who likes hard-core stick beatings with north american
    porcupines, and whose partner is a fleshpot with a crappy pink canoe,
    wrote in <1dv84jh8bsmra$.4yzgxr2u0did$>:
    >I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
    > the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
    >
    > Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
    > installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
    > Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
    > install. Normally in determining hardware.
    >
    > I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
    > 4GB HD (play territory)
    > CD
    > ps2 k/b and mouse
    > nvidia video card
    >
    > Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
    > off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.
    >
    > I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

    Test the components or bin the outdated piece of shit.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Gazwad, Jun 19, 2007
  4. al jones

    philo Guest

    "al jones" <> wrote in message
    > I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously

    upgraded
    > the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
    >
    > Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
    > installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
    > Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
    > install. Normally in determining hardware.
    >
    > I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
    > 4GB HD (play territory)
    > CD
    > ps2 k/b and mouse
    > nvidia video card
    >
    > Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
    > off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

    If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
    then of course re-flash it with the original bios.

    OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
    I'd run a RAM test

    philo, Jun 19, 2007
  5. al jones

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-19, al jones <> wrote:
    > I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
    > the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
    >
    > Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
    > installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
    > Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
    > install. Normally in determining hardware.
    >
    > I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
    > 4GB HD (play territory)
    > CD
    > ps2 k/b and mouse
    > nvidia video card
    >
    > Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
    > off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.
    >
    > I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

    Sounds as though it's the computer that's dead.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 19, 2007
  6. al jones

    al jones Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:39:29 -0500, philo wrote:

    > "al jones" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously

    > upgraded
    >> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
    >>
    >> Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
    >> installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
    >> Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
    >> install. Normally in determining hardware.
    >>
    >> I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
    >> 4GB HD (play territory)
    >> CD
    >> ps2 k/b and mouse
    >> nvidia video card
    >>
    >> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
    >> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

    > If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
    > then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
    >
    > OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
    > I'd run a RAM test

    Thanks for a reasonable answer :/

    The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been running
    without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.

    1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.

    The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
    not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
    again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.

    This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without problems.
    Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
    machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
    frustrated!! Thanks //al
    al jones, Jun 20, 2007
  7. al jones

    philo Guest

    > >> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on

    and
    > >> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating

    system.

    > > If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
    > > then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
    > >
    > > OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
    > > I'd run a RAM test

    > Thanks for a reasonable answer :/
    >
    > The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been

    running
    > without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.
    >
    > 1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.
    >
    > The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
    > not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
    > again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.
    >
    > This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without

    problems.
    > Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
    > machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
    > frustrated!! Thanks //al

    If there are leaky or expanded capacitors on the mobo...
    then the mobo is shot...

    Well try resetting the bios to default...

    also substitute different RAM ,video card...and power supply

    philo, Jun 20, 2007
  8. al jones

    Plato Guest

    al jones wrote:

    > I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
    > the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

    Why did you have to update to the latest bios? What exactly was the
    problem you were trying to correct?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 21, 2007
  9. al jones

    al jones Guest

    On 20 Jun 2007 23:16:01 -0500, Plato wrote:

    > al jones wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
    >> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

    > Why did you have to update to the latest bios? What exactly was the
    > problem you were trying to correct?

    I originally built this box with a 700mHz CPU. MSI has since upped the
    BIOS to handle up to 1800mHz (I think, may be more). When I switched to a
    1200 mHz CPU they (MSI) recommended I update the BIOS. But as I said this
    was sevral months ago and the box had been working with no problems.

    See my response also to Philo for determination.

    and thanks //al
    al jones, Jun 22, 2007
  10. al jones

    al jones Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:40:03 -0500, philo wrote:

    > and

    > system.
    >>>
    >>> If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
    >>> then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
    >>>
    >>> OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
    >>> I'd run a RAM test

    >> Thanks for a reasonable answer :/
    >>
    >> The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been

    > running
    >> without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.
    >>
    >> 1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.
    >>
    >> The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
    >> not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
    >> again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.
    >>
    >> This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without

    > problems.
    >> Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
    >> machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
    >> frustrated!! Thanks //al

    > If there are leaky or expanded capacitors on the mobo...
    > then the mobo is shot...
    >
    > Well try resetting the bios to default...
    >
    > also substitute different RAM ,video card...and power supply

    This has been an interesting exercise that I don't want to have to repeat.
    I have two CPU's available for this box - both of which work in another box
    with no problems.

    The 1200 mHz has been giving me fits in *this* box so I swapped it out for
    the 700 ... which now works. All the problems I've been having,
    unexplainable hangs, unable to install o/s's have all magically
    disappeared. Apparently I either have a 1200 that's flakey (for who knows
    what reason) in this box or it (the box) doesn't handle the higher speed
    CPU's.

    At the moment I'm computer poor. I have several 700 mHz boxes most of
    which are RAM limited (to about a half a gig) one 1300 which is ditto
    (disgusting!) and this one which is now a 700 mHz box but will support up
    to 1.5 GB ram. I think it's time to have a garage sale and then go out and
    buy one decent box.

    My thanks for the comments - yours and PLato's - I'd about given up the
    ghost (it was while I was switching IDE cables that I decided to swap CPU's
    - so you're to blame for it working :) such as it does.)

    //al
    al jones, Jun 22, 2007