CANT install my modem in XP 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SEFMIDkwMDA=?=, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. My BRAND NEW oem usr3090 Modem wont install....tried installing a generic 56k
    modem driver to no avail.
    From what Ive seen on other boards Im not alone.

    back to using win 2000 with a amd 64 3200 and a gig of ram.
    Sigh...

    Thinks bill gates should spend some of his money on making a current
    hardware compatabliity list for XP64...
    B4 releasing it!

    =?Utf-8?B?SEFMIDkwMDA=?=, Jul 3, 2005

  2. HAL 9000 wrote:
    > My BRAND NEW oem usr3090 Modem wont install....tried installing a generic 56k
    > modem driver to no avail.
    > From what Ive seen on other boards Im not alone.

    Then contact the manufacturer of the modem and ask them to produce a
    working driver for their product.

    > back to using win 2000 with a amd 64 3200 and a gig of ram.
    > Sigh...

    Or obtain a modem that's truly 64-bit compatible....

    > Thinks bill gates should spend some of his money on making a current
    > hardware compatabliity list for XP64...
    > B4 releasing it!

    It's not Microsoft's responsibility to provide drivers for other
    companies' products, nor can Microsoft produce a "compatibility list" if
    hardware manufacturers don't submit their products for testing. These
    companies had many, many months in which to develop and test 64-bit
    devices; many simply failed to support their customer base.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 3, 2005

  3. http://www.smlink.com/objects/SLA56-V4.20.01-MV-XP64Bit.zip

    Smart link has drivers for their modems, maybe you want to consider
    purchasing one from them.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SEFMIDkwMDA=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    My US Robotics 5810 ran perfectly out of the box

    John Barnes, Jul 3, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SEFMIDkwMDA=?=

    wewa Guest

    Re: CANT install my modem in XP 64 - try another modem - a effusive response

    I had this situation last week. Fortunately, my attempt worked on the first
    try. I was impressed with the robustness of x64 at such a young age...

    I needed to do faxing last week, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to,
    at least from my x64 workstation.

    I went ahead and took out a Conexant Winmodem internal PCI from one of my
    old emachines 466 celeron. Put it into a slot on my Dell Xeon machine,
    powered on, and voila, it recognized and configured it with win xp x64 built
    in drivers. no need to go to conexant.com, and no need to find any x64 modem
    drivers. And this is with x64 1433.

    I did modem diagnostics in the modem control panel, and it responds fine.
    I even downloaded and installed open source pdfcreator and created a pdf and
    faxed it out.

    I'm not gloating, I'm just telling you that you have to try more than 1
    type/brand of modem whenever you are using a beta, or new system setup, or
    new os to figure out and solve the solution you need. And I noticed you
    mentioned 'BRAND NEW' regarding your usr 3090 modem (formerly 3com,
    originally formerly USR).

    That actually could be your problem as well. When ms comes out with new
    windows versions, they try to include as many hardware drivers as they can,
    and often, you will find older hardware included, thus better supported than
    newer
    hardware.

    For example, I had clients who had newer HP laserjet models, which didn't
    have drivers in Win98 and we had to keep installing them right after a new
    Win 98 install. But then once they decided to switch to Win Me or 2000, that
    particular HP laserjet model, was supported with a built in driver in those
    newer windows versions, and we no longer had to download or look for the hp
    cd after doing a system upgrade/reinstall.

    This is just an example. You can find the same scenario going from Win2k to
    XP, or as we are experiencing, from XP to x64...

    You might want to try a 'OLD' modem, if you have one around.

    Geeks used to poo pooh winmodems, myself included, but with broadband, and
    the casual use of modems today, often, just for faxing, i dont think
    winmodems have the negative image they once used to...

    I looked at the specs of your modem,
    http://www.usr.com/download/datasheets/oem/3090-ds.pdf
    and the photo shows a proprietary usr chipset.
    i personally would prefer a conexant (formerly Rockwell) or pctel based
    'cheapo' internal modem, being that those drivers are more ubiquitous, and
    probably built into newer
    windows builds.

    USR was never really my favorite, neither was Hayes, way back when
    (compatibility problems, always negotiating at low speeds, overly sensitive
    to line noise, and handshaking problems). I had realtor clients that had to
    flip the power switch on their USR Sportsters and Couriers every other day,
    in order to work, I switched them to Supra modems, and months later, when I
    mentioned it, they didn't even
    notice that the supra didn't even have a power switch on it!

    Even at the 56k.com web site, the troubleshooting pages, has lots of USR
    issues.
    http://www.56k.com/trouble/
    You could argue that they have so many modems out there that more problems
    will be reported, but in my experience over the past 15 years, i would
    disagree. They just dont have good designs and testing between their
    products, and with interoperability with competing 'standardized' modems...

    I found that the supra (formerly S3, formerly SonicBlue, formerly diamond
    multimedia, formerly originally Supra) modems (rockwell chipset) worked way
    better (tried zoom, multitech, others, but supra was superior, ha ha).
    http://www.diamondmm.com/SM56PCILE.php

    They even had bonding solutions, so you could double up 2 modems in a
    machine, with 2 phone lines, and double
    your internet speed (this was pre-broadband days). I still have a dozen or
    so of them around because of that...

    but i better stop reminiscing... :p

    wewa, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Re: CANT install my modem in XP 64 - try another modem - a effusive response

    This is the appropriate newsgroup for users running beta builds Wewa:
    microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit

    :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SEFMIDkwMDA=?=

    wewa Guest

    Re: CANT install modem in XP 64 - try another modem

    No, its not Andre... >:D

    From: "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]"
    Subject: Please Do Not Post Here - use
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:38:33 +0100
    Newsgroups: microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit

    If you wish to post please do so to the now public group at
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    --

    Regards,

    Mike