Can't install google toolbar in Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by maxwell@ldc.upenn.edu, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just went to the Google toolbar page
    (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/install.html) and tried to
    install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.

    I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
    happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
    "check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
    installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
    under the button bar, which I've seen before under other circumstances;
    but in this case, there is no such bar. This step also has a link for
    a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up as a 404, for the
    screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)

    I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some things
    in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought up that dlg
    box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested in the msg) and
    www.google.com (the actual address of the download) under "Allowed
    sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions" next to "Warn me
    when sites try to install exceptions or themes." No luck.

    Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
    setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.

    I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed the
    toolbar. No luck.

    I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.

    Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1. Maybe
    the toolbar won't install in this version?

    Mike Maxwell
    , Apr 5, 2006

  2. kes Guest

    wrote:
    > I just went to the Google toolbar page
    > (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/install.html) and
    > tried to install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.
    >
    > I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
    > happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
    > "check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
    > installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
    > under the button bar, which I've seen before under other
    > circumstances; but in this case, there is no such bar. This step
    > also has a link for a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up
    > as a 404, for the screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)
    >
    > I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some
    > things in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought
    > up that dlg box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested
    > in the msg) and www.google.com (the actual address of the download)
    > under "Allowed sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions"
    > next to "Warn me when sites try to install exceptions or themes."
    > No luck.
    >
    > Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
    > setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.
    >
    > I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed
    > the toolbar. No luck.
    >
    > I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.
    >
    > Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1.
    > Maybe the toolbar won't install in this version?
    >
    > Mike Maxwell

    Mike

    Question - Firefox has already got a search window, which has Google
    and any number of search engines (to which you may add). Do you really
    want Google Toolbar?

    If your answer is 'Yes' try
    https://addons.mozilla.org/

    ....where you will find addons which mimic Google Toolbar (several
    versions, including 'Googlebar Lite' ).

    --
    Kes
    kes, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Lou Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:55:20 +0200, "kes" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I just went to the Google toolbar page
    >> (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/install.html) and
    >> tried to install the "Google Toolbar for Firefox". No luck.
    >>
    >> I then clicked on the "If you click "Agree and Install" and nothing
    >> happens...." link, which adds a msg at the bottom of the page saying
    >> "check the top of this page for a message that Firefox blocked the
    >> installation." There is no msg. (I think it's a bar that appears
    >> under the button bar, which I've seen before under other
    >> circumstances; but in this case, there is no such bar. This step
    >> also has a link for a "(screenshot)", but the screenshot comes up
    >> as a 404, for the screenshots under both steps 1 and 2.)
    >>
    >> I believe this msg that doesn't appear would tell me to set some
    >> things in my Tools | Options, under the Content tab. So I brought
    >> up that dlg box and added toolbar.google.com (the address suggested
    >> in the msg) and www.google.com (the actual address of the download)
    >> under "Allowed sites" next to "Block popups" and under "Exceptions"
    >> next to "Warn me when sites try to install exceptions or themes."
    >> No luck.
    >>
    >> Another msg in this group suggested checking the about:config and
    >> setting xpinstall:enabled to true. But it already is true.
    >>
    >> I also tried restarting Firefox, in case it had silently installed
    >> the toolbar. No luck.
    >>
    >> I have administrator privileges under Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Of possible relevance: I just got the update to Firefox 1.5.0.1.
    >> Maybe the toolbar won't install in this version?
    >>
    >> Mike Maxwell

    >Mike
    >
    >Question - Firefox has already got a search window, which has Google
    >and any number of search engines (to which you may add). Do you really
    >want Google Toolbar?

    Google toolbar is a data miner, plain and simple. Ask yourself why would
    they engineer and distribute it free? The answer is so they can acquire
    data as the Google Toolbar stores and reports back to Google every
    term you enter into the search window.

    See: http://www.pppindia.com/goodelete/

    You can, as mentioned in the above post, add Google to the search
    function on the Firefox toolbar, if it isn't there already.

    Lou, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Guest

    Well, those weren't the responses I was expecting! But yes, you have
    some points, and maybe I will reconsider. Thanks for the advice!
    , Apr 7, 2006