Can't Install Downloaded Applications

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Crayz, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Crayz

    Crayz Guest

    Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit or
    64-bit.

    After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
    applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As an
    example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for VISTA, I
    can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
    unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I click
    "RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the module
    causing the error as Adobe Reader.

    If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and I
    transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.

    I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I have
    UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so I've
    tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card and
    sound card. It still doesn't work.

    I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
    Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
    downloaded programs.

    Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into Microsoft.
    I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
    Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of this
    issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
    Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
    systems too, so I'm not the only one.

    Please help!

    Here's my system config:

    ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
    eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
    Corsair XMS 2GB module
    Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
    OEM DVD Reader/Writer

    Crayz, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Crayz

    Ronin1986 Guest

    Download with Mozilla Firefox

    I tried for weeks to get Adobe 8 to download and was finally referred to a
    troubleshoot page that may as well have been in Greek to me, so I thought I'd
    try downloading with Firefox and "bobs ur uncle" one try and im up and
    running!

    Ronin1986, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Crayz

    Gary Mount Guest

    I have found that after downloading an app, if I open the folder first then
    run/install the app from windows explorer instead of just running the app
    from Internet explorer, I never have any problems.

    Gary Mount, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Crayz

    Chris Guest

    I'm having the same problem, I've just installed windows vista ultimate
    (64-bit) and run all the updates etc and I can't open anything I download. If
    I try to install something I get the same Appcrash, also if I try extracting
    files from a compressed one it also generates an error and I can't unzip
    (note: I've also tried downloading and installing winzip - but that also
    won't install from download).
    I've also run a few re-installs of vista to see if perhaps the install was
    faulty, but it always has the same error. I need to install the drivers for
    my graphics card but can't, and I can't open the PDF file the accompanies the
    download because vista Appcrashes each time I try and install acrobat reader.
    In a way I'm relieved I'm not the only person experiencing this problem, I
    would really like to know what to do though because it's driving me crazy.
    Thanks.

    Chris, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Crayz

    Chris Guest

    Following on from my previous post, I found a copy of Adobe Reader on a CD
    and it installed from the CD with out any problems, also I haven't had any
    other problems when installing other programs from CD, it seems to be just
    the one's that are downloaded - which is really annoying because I bought my
    Graphics Card OEM and didn't get the driver CD with it, so I really need the
    downloads to install.

    Chris, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Strange - how deep in the Directory tree are your downloads stored? There
    once was a problem on XP x64 where a 'Creative' driver refused to install
    unless it was run from a Directory one step down from the Root.

    After re-booting - is it still the same?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Crayz

    Chris Guest

    The downloads are stored in the default downloads folder in the user
    directory. Also after re-booting the problem is still the same, I've tried
    changing the user control settings and resetting but that hasn't worked, I've
    tried re-installing windows about 3 or 4 times and that hasn't made any
    difference. I've installed all the updates that windows has when you first
    start vista, which is odd because they obviously downloaded and then
    installed, so I don't know why stuff I download from IE doesn't install. If I
    could try running Firefox to see if IE is the problem I would, however the
    only way I can do that is by downloading the setup program and installing it,
    which I can't do because of this stupid problem with Vista 64. It's such a
    pain, I can't even begin to describe. I would install the 32-bit version,
    however I've just spent so much money upgrading my PC that the 32-bit
    wouldn't work as well: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor, Asus Striker
    Extreme Motherboard, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GTX Graphics Card and a 700W PSU,
    also running 2 SATA Hard-drives (one of which isn't connected to the
    motherboard at the moment because it has all my backed-up files that I don't
    want getting damaged by mistake whilst sorting out this problemn with Vista).
    I don't think the hardware should be the problem as everything's Vista ready,
    and the Processor supports a 64-bit OS. I just don't know what to do.

    Chris, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Crayz

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Chris,

    A couple of thoughts. After you download to the Downloads folder,
    right-click on the exe/msi, Properties, "Unblock", Apply, OK. Does the
    Appcrash still occur?

    At what stage during the install/unzip attempt does the Appcrash happen?
    Anything in Event Viewer that correlates?

    As you can successfully install programs from a CD, there is a possibility
    that data is getting corrupted during the download. This could be caused
    somewhere en route, or it could be a faulty NIC. (We had this happen for a
    few days once. Everything was getting corrupted somewhere along the line.
    Trying to install or unzip threw errors.)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Crayz

    Chris Guest

    I've already tried unblocking the downloads and that doesn't help, the
    appcrash happens straight after I open the file to install. I had a copy of
    uTorrent on my other hard drive which I installed and through that I've been
    able to download Firefox. It's weird because the files I download through
    uTorrent seem fine, as well as the .exe files allready on my Hard drive.
    So I've tried downloading through firefox and the install program actually
    opens now where as before it would crash. However when it gets to the point
    where I've chosen the location and it begins to install I get another crash
    saying the file may be corrupt.. in the case of the graphics card drivers,
    i've downloaded different versions of the drivers from different locations
    and they all have the same error.

    Chris, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Is this your own personal home desktop or are you connected via someone
    elses network?

    Did you change your ISP, or your account?

    TCP/IP properly installed and configured?

    You don't have multiple Anti-Virus's configured?

    It used to work - is it all the same NIC's, Cables and Router/Switches as it
    used to be?

    Your BIOS setup suits your networking hardware and configuration?

    (Clutching at straws, here!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 4, 2008
  11. Crayz

    Chris Guest

    This is my home desktop, my ISP hasn't changed so the problems not with that,
    my housemate was able to download the drivers for my graphics card on his
    laptop and transfer it to me PC on a USB stick and it installed perfectly
    from his download.
    As for the hardware set-up of my PC, I've been over every single connection
    at least 3 times, and I've had someone else check it as well as the Bios and
    we can't find anything wrong - the problem seams to be literally when
    downloading files from a direct source.. file sharing works ok but I'm
    guessing that's because the program automatically switches download location
    as and when it needs to so the downloads don't corrupt.
    Now I have some ways to work around it, it's not so bad although it would be
    nice to have my (rather EXPENSIVE) Vista Ultimate working as it should do
    without me having to put in loads of effort to download a file.

    Chris, Feb 4, 2008
  12. Perhaps you should try and make a check by downloading something else that
    can verify and not be the kind that installs to the running OS - I guess it
    could be many things, but I'm thinking of a *.ISO file with a *.MD5 file to
    accompany it. Download both and have your burner software do a 'Verify' on
    it.

    I suspect this is either a hardware problem or something trivial that isn't
    being very obvious. I would probably try and uninstall TCP/IP and reboot,
    and then re-install it! Then borrow another NIC and cable!

    It is well enough to have alternatives but you shouldn't have to live with
    this - it is not the OS or a bug or we would hear of nothing else.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 4, 2008
  13. Crayz

    Guest

    On Feb 2, 12:06 am, Crayz <> wrote:
    > Hi! I'm having problems installingapplicationsinVISTAUltimate 32-bit or
    > 64-bit.
    >
    > After I do a cleaninstallofVISTAUltimate, Ican'tinstallanyapplicationsif I've downloaded them from the Internet throughVISTA. As an
    > example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader forVISTA, Ican'tinstallit. When I try toinstallit,VISTAtells me that it's an
    > unsigned application, and asks if I really want toinstallit. Once I click
    > "RUN ANYWAY",VISTAgives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the module
    > causing the error as Adobe Reader.
    >
    > If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and I
    > transfer it to a USB drive, I caninstallit inVISTAfrom the USB drive.
    >
    > I'm installing theseapplicationsfrom an Administrator account, and I have
    > UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so I've
    > tried installing programs before Iinstalldrivers for my graphics card and
    > sound card. It still doesn't work.
    >
    > I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
    > Update two or three times to get everything updated, I stillcan'tinstall
    > downloaded programs.
    >
    > Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into Microsoft..
    > I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
    > Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of this
    > issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
    > Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
    > systems too, so I'm not the only one.
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Here's my system config:
    >
    > ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
    > eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
    > Corsair XMS 2GB module
    > Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
    > OEM DVD Reader/Writer

    I have the same issue - can't install defender updates, winzip, adobe
    reader, or any other application.
    It is on a private wireless network with a Belkin -N router and two
    laptops, I have tried downloading the software from various computers/
    isp's and installing it from a media card and the network but all I
    get are app crashes.

    Can the network settings be responsible??? This is driving me nuts!

    , Feb 15, 2008