Can't install Developer Express

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    Any ideas on why I get an error while installing the Developer express.
    I get:
    Microsoft .NET Services Installation Utility has encountered a problem and
    needs to close. blah blah

    No luck if I stop my anti-virus app. also.

    One possibility is that I had to awhile back reinstall my Windows. And now I
    noticed I still have pre-reinstall program files and directories in the
    Program Files directory when I haven't yet reinstalled the programs. The
    backup software probably did this. Would this conflict with the .NET install?

    That would be my only thought as to why I can't install .NET 2 and the
    related Web developer express stuff.

    Is my only recourse to reinstall Windows again and this time not use this
    backup software that restored files (especially in the Program Files
    directory)?

    On the previous install of Windows I did successfully install Web Developer
    express with .NET 2.

    Hope you can help
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Hi,

    What is the exact error you are getting?

    Express edition readme file
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/readme/

    Ken
    ---------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Mar 27, 2006

  3. Hi Ken,

    What I mentioned in my original post with the typical dialog to send the
    error report to Microsoft. In my Event viewer application log I get messages
    such as:

    Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (x64) -- Error 25015.Failed to install
    assembly
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll'
    because of system error: The device is not ready.

    and

    The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime 2.0 Error
    Reporting ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
    registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
    computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
    description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is
    part of the event: regsvcs.exe, 2.0.50727.42, 4333ae62, kernel32.dll,
    5.2.3790.1830, 42437794, 0, 0002228c.

    Does that help?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Hi,

    Try reinstalling the framework. Make sure you use the 64bit
    version.

    Ken
    -----------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Mar 27, 2006
  5. I downloaded the redistributable x64 .NET 2 framework and got the following
    when installing:

    Error 25015.Failed to install assembly
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll'
    because of system error: The device is not ready.
    Retry or Cancel

    ???

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  6. It's right I can't find the file
    (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll')
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  7. Hi,

    That file is installed with the dotnetframework 2.0. Did you get
    any errors installing the framework?

    Ken
    --------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Mar 27, 2006
  8. Yes. Look at my post before the one about the missing file...(I added two
    posts)
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Hello,
    Try Adding permissions to the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\
    propagating Full
    Control for SYSTEM and Administrators.
    Administrators and System accounts may not have the correct permissions on
    that folder and subfolders.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=
    <>
    <Subject: Re: Can't install Developer Express
    <Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:32:01 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
  10. Hi,
    Stupid question but how can I do that? I right click on the folder and
    I can't find where the group accesses are. There's no Security tab in
    the folders Properties. I'm the Administrator default account.
    ?
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=, Mar 28, 2006
  11. Hi,

    Try checking the hard drive for errors.

    Ken
    -------------------
    Ken Tucker [MVP], Mar 28, 2006
  12. Hello,
    You may need to turn off Simple File Sharing.
    open My Computer
    From the menu
    Tools, Folder Options
    View, Advanced Settings,
    Last item in the list "Simple File Sharing"

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=
    <>
    <Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:18:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
  13. I also tried this and it did not work. It sounded logical.

    I cannot install .Net 2.0 x64

    I believe that it has something to do with the default Installer 3.1 and I
    have tried to update it with no luck.

    This is what is preventing me from installing Visual Studio Web Developer
    Express Edition.

    Michael Wayne

    Michael Wayne, Mar 28, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbnlEYXlzSW5WYW5jb3V2ZXI=?=

    clnPrasad

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Fix

    Hi,

    I got the same problem while I was installing it. I went to the

    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework"

    directory and deleted the

    "v2.050727" folder. Afterwards I just reinstalled it and no problem anymore. Hope this will also work in your case
    clnPrasad, Apr 1, 2009