    and tried to install it, but his computer won't read the CD so now he's stuck
    with a computer that he can't work with

    I have no idea what to tell him.
    =?Utf-8?B?cnlhbiBt?=, Jan 6, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cnlhbiBt?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    He can insert the DVD for the 64 bit version and use it's disk
    management facilities to delete the present partition(s) on the
    computer's HD. Then he can insert the Windows XP disk and use that to
    install XP 32 bit.

    If the XP CD will not be read, he can try washing it with cool, clean
    water with a very small amount of liquid detergent intended to hand
    washing of dishes, rinse thoroughly and dry it with a clean, lint-free,
    cotton cloth. If the CD still cannot be read, he can use another CD from
    a friend together with his own serial number. Alternately, he can
    contact MS support and get a replacement CD.

    Of course, as part of installing the Windows XP 32 bit OS, he will have
    to use the facilities on the CD to create appropriate partition(s) for
    the OS. This is all covered in articles in the MSKB and other on-line
    facilities.

    Tom
    MSMBP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Jan 6, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?cnlhbiBt?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure he changes the BIOS to read from the CD first and that he hits a
    key when it prompts 'to boot from CD hit any key' Then follow Tom's
    instructions.

    John Barnes, Jan 6, 2007
  4. ryan m wrote:
    > my friend needed to completely restore his computer because it was really
    > acting up so he figured he'd just reinstall windows xp and then install his
    > internet, blah blah blah, then everything would be fine.
    >
    > unfortunately, he didn't know the difference between all the different xp
    > versions and such, and he installed a 64bit version of xp. he can't work with
    > this 64bit because nothing is compatible with it; and that's not really the
    > problem.. the real problem is that he got his old version of windows xp on CD
    > and tried to install it, but his computer won't read the CD so now he's stuck
    > with a computer that he can't work with
    >
    > I have no idea what to tell him.

    Tell him to simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. He'll be
    offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
    of the installation process. (He may need to re-arrange the order of
    boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm