Can't Install Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22.87

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, May 19, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    (Please excuse the duplicate post. While deleting NG spam, I inadvertently
    included mine. So much for keeping late hours!)

    Hello,

    My OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE7.

    Up until approximately 2 weeks ago, I used to visit an MSN-style chatroom
    which required Flash so that one could see text (chat) being posted in the
    room. Further, Flash was required to see the list of visitors in the room.

    Up until then, I had Flash Player properly operating on my system, and was
    able to partake in the chats in the room.

    While in a room, I attempted to install a newer version, namely, Adobe Flash
    Player 10.0.22.87 from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

    Whether relevant or not, I did not close all other windows while attempting
    to install Flash Player 10.

    When I clicked "Install", the URL changed to
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/trigger/1.

    At about the same time, a yellow bar appeared at the top of the page with
    the following: This website wants to install the following add-on: "Adobe
    Flash Player Installer" from "Adobe Systems Incorporated". If you trust the
    website and the add-on and want to install it, click here ....

    When I clicked "here", a vertical menu appeared with: Install ActiveX
    Control ..., What's the Risk, More Information.

    When I clicked "Install ActiveX Control", a box appeared from Adobe,
    offering "Install" and "Do Not Install" options.

    I chose "Install".

    For a couple of minutes nothing appeared to be happening, and then Zone
    Alarm indicated that Adobe UltraShim was attempting to access the Internet.

    I gave permission to the application to access the Internet.

    Shortly thereafter, the following appeared: When you see the installation
    completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful. The
    installation should only take a minute or two on a 56k modem.

    If Adobe Flash Player fails to install, please visit the Adobe Flash Player
    Support Center for help troubleshooting the issue.

    In light of the fact that I had attempted numerous times to install version
    10 with the same non-successful results (no movie, only a stationary Adobe
    logo) I even went so far as to completely uninstall Adobe AIR.

    The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
    version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.

    As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
    previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.

    I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
    disabled.

    If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008 (7.1.0.12)
    (not Anniversary Edition).

    My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.

    I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
    512 MB of Rambus Ram.

    I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem were
    registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.

    To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, May 19, 2009

  2. Martin wrote:

    > (Please excuse the duplicate post. While deleting NG spam, I inadvertently
    > included mine. So much for keeping late hours!)

    > When I clicked "Install", the URL changed to
    > http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/trigger/1.
    >
    > At about the same time, a yellow bar appeared at the top of the page with
    > the following: This website wants to install the following add-on: "Adobe
    > Flash Player Installer" from "Adobe Systems Incorporated". If you trust
    > the website and the add-on and want to install it, click here ....
    >
    > When I clicked "here", a vertical menu appeared with: Install ActiveX
    > Control ..., What's the Risk, More Information.
    >
    > When I clicked "Install ActiveX Control", a box appeared from Adobe,
    > offering "Install" and "Do Not Install" options.

    Damn. I cannot resist saying install of flash, even the 64bit alpha version,
    on linux, is a breeze against that horrible story you told.
    While at w0rkplace we have a automated install of flash plugins (a msi and
    the activex plugin) at domain logon or using a software distribution tool,
    that works with no hassle at all.
    We don't use, however, such a myriade of antispyware, blockers and such, on
    clients, as our (*nix driven) webfilter (squid/squidguard/trendmicro) tries
    to filter out nasties.

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 19, 2009

  3. Martin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Martin wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
    > version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.
    >
    > As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
    > previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.
    >
    > I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
    > disabled.
    >
    > If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008 (7.1.0.12)
    > (not Anniversary Edition).
    >
    > My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.
    >
    > I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
    > 512 MB of Rambus Ram.
    >
    > I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem were
    > registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.
    >
    > To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player would

    Don't install anything from the yellow infobar prompt. Go to the
    vendor's own site and get it from there.

    - Get the uninstaller (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html) to
    completely remove any remnants of their Flash AX control.
    - Disable all [non-Microsoft] add-ons. I usually only disable the
    non-Microsoft add-ons. You could disable all add-ons during the
    reinstall to ensure that none of them is causing a conflict or
    involved in the install problem.
    - Install the Flash Player; however, since you had problems with the
    on-demand installation from within IE, download the installer
    (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html).
    - The Flash Player should now be the only [non-Microsoft] add-on that
    is enabled.
    - Test if Flash now works. If Flash works, re-enable the other
    add-ons one at a time and retest.

    For future reference, it is best to first uninstall all non-Microsoft
    add-ons and reset IE7 before installing IE8. After completing the
    installation of IE8 then reinstall the non-Microsoft add-ons.

    Adobe's Flash Player is not compatible with the 64-bit version of IE.
    Use the 32-bit version of IE. Apparently Flash installs into the
    wrong folder in a 64-bit version of Windows so it might not even be
    available to the 32-bit version of IE. See the following articles:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/cwynrg

    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/faq.html#flashplayer10FAQ_64-bit01
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/faq.html#flashplayer10FAQ_64-bit04

    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html