Can't Install Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22.87

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, May 19, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    My OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE7.

    Up until approximately 2 weeks ago, I used to visit an MSN-style chatroom
    which required Flash so that one could see text (chat) being posted in the
    room. Further, Flash was required to see the list of visitors in the room.

    Up until then, I had Flash Player properly operating on my system, and was
    able to partake in the chats in the room.

    While in a room, I attempted to install a newer version, namely, Adobe Flash
    Player 10.0.22.87 from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

    Whether relevant or not, I did not close all other windows while attempting
    to install Flash Player 10.

    When I clicked "Install", the URL changed to
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/trigger/1.

    At about the same time, a yellow bar appeared at the top of the page with
    the following: This website wants to install the following add-on: "Adobe
    Flash Player Installer" from "Adobe Systems Incorporated". If you trust the
    website and the add-on and want to install it, click here ....

    When I clicked "here", a vertical menu appeared with: Install ActiveX
    Control ..., What's the Risk, More Information.

    When I clicked "Install ActiveX Control", a box appeared from Adobe,
    offering "Install" and "Do Not Install" options.

    I chose "Install".

    For a couple of minutes nothing appeared to be happening, and then Zone
    Alarm indicated that Adobe UltraShim was attempting to access the Internet.

    I gave permission to the application to access the Internet.

    Shortly thereafter, the following appeared: When you see the installation
    completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful. The
    installation should only take a minute or two on a 56k modem.

    If Adobe Flash Player fails to install, please visit the Adobe Flash Player
    Support Center for help troubleshooting the issue.

    In light of the fact that I had attempted numerous times to install version
    10 with the same non-successful results (no movie, only a stationary Adobe
    logo) I even went so far as to completely uninstall Adobe AIR.

    The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
    version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.

    As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
    previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.

    I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
    disabled.

    If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008 (7.1.0.12)
    (not Anniversary Edition).

    My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.

    I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
    512 MB of Rambus Ram.

    I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem were
    registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.

    To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, May 19, 2009

  2. Hello,

    Try installing the standalone EXE version
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

    ___
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, May 19, 2009

  3. Martin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

> [...]
    >
    > The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
    > version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the
    > installation.
    >
    > As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
    > previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.
    >
    > I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I
    > completely disabled.
    >
    > If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008
    > (7.1.0.12) (not Anniversary Edition).
    >
    > My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.
    >
    > I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz)
    > with 512 MB of Rambus Ram.
    >
    > I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem
    > were registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.
    >
    > To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player

    Quite simple really. Two possibilities: 1. It didn't install properly
    because you didn't allow it to finish - i.e. show the movie. 2. It's a
    version of flash that doesn't work properly (perhaps only on your computer
    and one like it). Going back to the earlier version is probably your best
    bet. Unistall *all* version on your system, reboot and go to adobe's site
    and then reinstall and reboot afterwards.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 19, 2009
  4. Martin

    Greg Guest

    Go to this directory on your PC:

    C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\

    And double click on the Flashutil10b.exe or one similar. You are manually
    installing it from there. Adobe puts these files in your system32 directory
    for you. I've had issues with Flash not installing properly either and have
    had to revert to this way.

    Greg

    Greg, May 19, 2009
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I wish to thank everyone who contributed their time and suggestions
    regarding the "Flash" problem.

    I removed all Adobe apps via the Control Panel.

    I then re-downloaded the below-mentioned version 10, but, once again,
    without any *apparent* change.

    In keeping with the suggestion that the app may be in my System 32 folder, I
    checked and found that it was indeed there.

    I double-clicked it and then re-booted.

    Problem solved!!

    Flash Media is now once again properly operating on my system.

    Thank you!

    Martin

    :

    Martin, May 26, 2009
  6. Martin

    actsmith

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Thank You --- Need Help to Fix Flash Player in Other Browsers

    Greg:

    What tremendous advice on getting the FlashPlayer working! I used it and now I'm able to use the FlashPlayer when using Internet Explorer...but the System 32 fix did not take for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

    How do I get the FlashPlayer to work in those browsers?

    Andrea

    actsmith, Jun 7, 2009