can't get XP to boot from floppy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
    came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
    installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
    included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
    install and that's where I'm having problems.

    First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
    drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
    attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
    It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
    makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
    The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
    and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
    can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
    tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
    good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
    ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
    I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
    Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
    bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
    from XP.

    What am I doing wrong?
    WC

    WCH, Dec 23, 2004

  2. WCH

    Conor Guest

    In article WCH says...
    > I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
    > came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
    > installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
    > included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
    > install and that's where I'm having problems.
    >
    > First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
    > drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
    > attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
    > It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
    > makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
    > The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
    > and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
    > can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
    > tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
    > good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
    > ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
    > I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
    > Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
    > bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
    > from XP.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Not making a bootable floppy or CDROM.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor, Dec 23, 2004

  3. WCH

    dadiOH Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
    > drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy
    > drive attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable
    > and run it. It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the
    > floppy drive, makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to
    > restart the computer. The on-line directions say the Picturebook
    > will restart to the floppy and then I can flash the BIOS. But it
    > doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and hear floppy disk
    > activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over and over.
    > Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is good (just to see if it
    > will boot) and that, too, is read and then ignored. So I pulled the
    > USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive. I copied the files
    > from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it. Read, ignored,
    > booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is bootable in the
    > CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted from XP.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    USB?

    What happens if you disable the HD in BIOS? Or just disconnect it.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Dec 23, 2004
  4. WCH

    philo Guest

    power-hungry type,
    repeatedly, have first cooperated with non-leftist revolutionaries, as
    well as with leftists of a more libertarian inclination, and later
    have double-crossed them to seize power for themselves. Robespierre
    did this in the French Revolution, the Bolsheviks did it in the
    Russian Revolution, the communists did it in Spain in 1938 and Castro
    and his followers did it in Cuba. Given the past history of leftism,
    it would be utterly foolish for non-leftist revolutionaries today to
    collaborate with leftists.

    218. Various thinkers have pointed out that leftism is a kind of
    religion. Leftism is not a religion in the strict sense because
    leftist doctrine does not postulate the existence of any supernatural
    being. But for the leftist, leftism plays a psychological role much
    like that which religion plays for some people. The leftist NEEDS to
    believe in leftism; it plays a vital role in his psychological
    economy. His beliefs are not easily modified by logic or facts. He has
    a deep conviction that leftism is morally Right with a capital R, and
    that he has not only a right but a duty to impose leftist morality on
    everyone. (However, many of the people w

    philo, Dec 23, 2004
  5. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    | I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
    | came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
    | installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
    | included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
    | install and that's where I'm having problems.
    |
    | First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
    | drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
    | attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
    | It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
    | makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
    | The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
    | and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
    | can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
    | tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
    | good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
    | ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
    | I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
    | Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
    | bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
    | from XP.
    |
    | What am I doing wrong?
    | WC

    Many USB devices will not work as a boot device, since the USB port in the
    computer isn't working until the OS installs the drivers for them. You need
    to research that problem with the manufacturer of the USB floppy drive.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2004
  6. WCH

    philo Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
    > came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
    > installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
    > included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
    > install and that's where I'm having problems.
    >
    > First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
    > drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
    > attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
    > It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive, makes
    > the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer. The
    > on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy and then
    > I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and
    > hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over
    > and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is good (just to see
    > if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then ignored. So I pulled the
    > USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive. I copied the files from the
    > floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it. Read, ignored, booted from XP.
    > I tried putting a CD that I know is bootable in the CD drive and restarted
    > it again. Read, ignored, booted from XP.

    setting the bios to boot from floppy merely enables the machine to
    boot from the on-board floppy (which you don;t have)
    if there is an option to boot from a USB device...
    you need to use that.
    btw: do you *really* need to update your bios?
    if your machine is working ok...don;t do so merely for the sake of
    updating

    philo, Dec 23, 2004
  7. WCH

    Sky King Guest

    WCH wrote:

    > updates included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm
    > trying to install and that's where I'm having problems.

    > will restart to the floppy and then I can flash the BIOS. But it
    > doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and hear floppy disk
    > activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over and over.

    Your system probably doesn't have the capability to boot from a USB device.

    So just bypass the need for doing that. Copy the BIOS updates to a location
    on the C: drive --- C:\Temp for example.

    Then reboot the system, hitting the key (CTRL I think on Win98) to bring up
    the boot menu. Boot to Command prompt only. CD to C:\Temp, and from the
    DOS command run the exe to install the BIOS flash update. That is usually
    in the form of the .exe with the name of the latest .bin file as argument.
    Should be a Readme or similar that 'splains it in detail.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============

    Sky King, Dec 23, 2004
  8. WCH

    ROSWELL Guest

    when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley didn't make
    it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form bootdisk.com. almost every
    bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin that boot
    form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the exe file on
    it.

    MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS

    ROSWELL, Dec 24, 2004
  9. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ROSWELL" <> wrote in message
    | when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley didn't make
    | it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form bootdisk.com. almost
    every
    | bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin that
    boot
    | form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the exe file
    on
    | it.
    |
    | MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS

    MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...

    <quote>
    I download the BIOS executable and run it.
    It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
    makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
    </quote>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2004
  10. On 23 Dec 2004, Toolman Tim scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "ROSWELL" <> wrote in message
    >| when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley
    >| didn't make it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form
    >| bootdisk.com. almost
    > every
    >| bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin
    >| that
    > boot
    >| form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the
    >| exe file
    > on
    >| it.
    >|
    >| MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS
    >|
    > MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...

    If his reading comprehension is comparable to his writing
    skills........

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 24, 2004
  11. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
    | On 23 Dec 2004, Toolman Tim scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    |

    | > "ROSWELL" <> wrote in message
    | >| when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley
    | >| didn't make it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form
    | >| bootdisk.com. almost
    | > every
    | >| bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin
    | >| that
    | > boot
    | >| form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the
    | >| exe file
    | > on
    | >| it.
    | >|
    | >| MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS
    | >|
    | > MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...
    |
    | If his reading comprehension is comparable to his writing
    | skills........

    deemed hopeless, eh?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2004
  12. WCH

    ROSWELL Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
    > | On 23 Dec 2004, Toolman Tim scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    > |

    > | > "ROSWELL" <> wrote in message
    > | > every
    > | > boot
    > | > on
    > | >|
    > | >|
    > | > MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...
    > |
    > | If his reading comprehension is comparable to his writing
    > | skills........
    > | >

    > deemed hopeless, eh?

    MAYBE YOU ASS HOLES SHOULD DO YOUR RESEARCH. GUESS WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE
    YOUR OWN BOOT DISK DUMB ASSES.IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE IN THE DIRECTIONS.DON'T
    BELIVE ME HERE IS THE LINK.

    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&upd_id=894&os_id=7&mdl=PCGC1VP

    ROSWELL, Dec 24, 2004
  13. WCH

    gangle Guest

    "ROSWELL" wrote

    > "Toolman Tim" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The Old Sourdough" wrote
    > > | On 23 Dec 2004, Toolman Tim scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > > | >|
    > > | >|

    > > | If his reading comprehension is comparable to his writing
    > > | skills........
    > > | >

    > > deemed hopeless, eh?
    > >

    > MAYBE YOU ASS HOLES SHOULD DO YOUR RESEARCH. GUESS WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE
    > YOUR OWN BOOT DISK DUMB ASSES.IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE IN THE DIRECTIONS.DON'T
    > BELIVE ME HERE IS THE LINK.

    JUSS WUT THE FUK AM YOU TRYIN TO EKPRES HEER ?
    DONT BE SHIE ABOWT IT JUSS SCREEM IT OWT.
    OK. GOOD. BAK TO YOU NOW I GESS.

    gangle, Dec 24, 2004