Can't get Win XP SP2 to check external HD for errors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Hi, all. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates.
    I have a 300 gig Maxtor external HD with 2 FAT32 partions on
    it (don't ask! the problem isn't related to that). One is for
    all my non-graphics backups, primarily MP3s and the other is
    for all my graphics files, primarily JPEGs.

    In Explorer, when I right-click on the volume name>Tools>Check
    now, I check both boxes and click Start and get the message
    "the disk check could not be performed because the disk check
    utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the
    disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows.
    Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time
    you restart the computer?".

    Yes, restart, and no-thing happens. No disk check, just the
    login screen. So, I try it again, same message, say yes again.
    This time, I check Control Panel Scheduled Tasks. Nuttin',
    honey. Well, that explains why I didn't get a check, think, or
    am I missing something easy here?

    So, I did the obvious. Opened a DOS window and searched the
    entire partition(s) for Hidden and System files. Nuttin',
    honey again. Except for the bullshit Norton Protect files
    System Works 2006 parks there. But, I have Norton Protection
    turned off. Deleting these files does work, but I still have a
    no-go on the check. And, by the time I do another dir /s /ah
    /as again, the Norton Protect files are back.

    So, other than lose the Norton, what do I do? I know this
    worked a month ago but I cannot make it work today. I got
    around this by going back to the DOS window and running chkdsk
    /f /r. That worked, after I allowed Windows to dismount the
    volume, but I'd really like to run the check from Windows.
    Restarting is Okey, Dokey, if I could get it to work.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Feb 12, 2006

  2. All Things Mopar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:49:22 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Hi, all. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates. I have a
    > 300 gig Maxtor external HD with 2 FAT32 partions on it (don't ask! the
    > problem isn't related to that). One is for all my non-graphics backups,
    > primarily MP3s and the other is for all my graphics files, primarily
    > JPEGs.
    >
    > In Explorer, when I right-click on the volume name>Tools>Check now, I
    > check both boxes and click Start and get the message "the disk check could
    > not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to
    > some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by
    > restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the
    > next time you restart the computer?".
    >
    > Yes, restart, and no-thing happens. No disk check, just the login screen.
    > So, I try it again, same message, say yes again. This time, I check
    > Control Panel Scheduled Tasks. Nuttin', honey. Well, that explains why I
    > didn't get a check, think, or am I missing something easy here?
    >
    > So, I did the obvious. Opened a DOS window and searched the entire
    > partition(s) for Hidden and System files. Nuttin', honey again. Except for
    > the bullshit Norton Protect files System Works 2006 parks there. But, I
    > have Norton Protection turned off. Deleting these files does work, but I
    > still have a no-go on the check. And, by the time I do another dir /s /ah
    > /as again, the Norton Protect files are back.
    >
    > So, other than lose the Norton, what do I do? I know this worked a month
    > ago but I cannot make it work today. I got around this by going back to
    > the DOS window and running chkdsk /f /r. That worked, after I allowed
    > Windows to dismount the volume, but I'd really like to run the check from
    > Windows. Restarting is Okey, Dokey, if I could get it to work.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    You could run chkdsk from the Recovery Console (boot the XP cd.)

    Meat Plow, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Today Meat Plow commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    > You could run chkdsk from the Recovery Console (boot the XP
    > cd.)

    I did successfully run the DOS chkdsk from a DOS window, then I
    discovered that if I didn't check the top box to do a file
    integrity check, and just a search for bad sectors, it runs
    successfully and, thankfully, I have no errors. This probably
    stems from my desire to run FAT32, with XP doesn't like. Bill
    the Gates will do anything to get users to run their systems
    his, way, but he ain't the one paying /my/ bills, I just pay
    his, so I'll do a Frank Sinatra "I did it /my/ way."

    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next time.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Feb 12, 2006
  4. All Things Mopar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:23:23 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Today Meat Plow commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >
    >>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    >> You could run chkdsk from the Recovery Console (boot the XP cd.)

    > I did successfully run the DOS chkdsk from a DOS window, then I discovered
    > that if I didn't check the top box to do a file integrity check, and just
    > a search for bad sectors, it runs successfully and, thankfully, I have no
    > errors. This probably stems from my desire to run FAT32, with XP doesn't
    > like. Bill the Gates will do anything to get users to run their systems
    > his, way, but he ain't the one paying /my/ bills, I just pay his, so I'll
    > do a Frank Sinatra "I did it /my/ way."
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next time.

    It will ask for a reboot to gain exclusive access no matter if the drive
    is internal or external or regardless if it is FT32 or NTFS. Why are you
    scanning for bad sectors?

    Meat Plow, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Today Meat Plow commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> You could run chkdsk from the Recovery Console (boot the
    >>> XP cd.)

    >> I did successfully run the DOS chkdsk from a DOS window,
    >> then I discovered that if I didn't check the top box to do
    >> a file integrity check, and just a search for bad sectors,
    >> it runs successfully and, thankfully, I have no errors.
    >> This probably stems from my desire to run FAT32, with XP
    >> doesn't like. Bill the Gates will do anything to get users
    >> to run their systems his, way, but he ain't the one paying
    >> /my/ bills, I just pay his, so I'll do a Frank Sinatra "I
    >> did it /my/ way."
    >>
    >> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next time.

    > It will ask for a reboot to gain exclusive access no matter
    > if the drive is internal or external or regardless if it is
    > FT32 or NTFS. Why are you scanning for bad sectors?

    I /always/ scan for bad sectors /before/ doing a de-frag. I'm
    cautious and unsure if Windows or Norton Speed Disk are bright
    enough to verify a cluster before they write to it. I haven't
    found a bad block in years, but I believe in never giving
    Murphy an even break.

    I know, BTW, why it wants to to a restart. That's fine. But,
    why the hell doesn't the scan run then? Windows just restarts,
    I logon on, and no-thing happens. Also, should a scheduled
    chkdsk show up in Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel or not?

    Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Feb 13, 2006
  6. All Things Mopar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:31:47 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

    > Today Meat Plow commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> I did successfully run the DOS chkdsk from a DOS window, then I
    >>> discovered that if I didn't check the top box to do a file integrity
    >>> check, and just a search for bad sectors, it runs successfully and,
    >>> thankfully, I have no errors. This probably stems from my desire to run
    >>> FAT32, with XP doesn't like. Bill the Gates will do anything to get
    >>> users to run their systems his, way, but he ain't the one paying /my/
    >>> bills, I just pay his, so I'll do a Frank Sinatra "I did it /my/ way."
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that next time.

    >> It will ask for a reboot to gain exclusive access no matter if the drive
    >> is internal or external or regardless if it is FT32 or NTFS. Why are you
    >> scanning for bad sectors?

    > I /always/ scan for bad sectors /before/ doing a de-frag. I'm cautious and
    > unsure if Windows or Norton Speed Disk are bright enough to verify a
    > cluster before they write to it. I haven't found a bad block in years, but
    > I believe in never giving Murphy an even break.

    That's because IIRC, modern drives map bad blocks on their own. Back in my
    CNE days, the Novell OS used to do that on its own. You knew it was time
    to change a drive when the OS started moving blocks of data to an area
    reserved by Novell for that reason.

    > I know, BTW, why it wants to to a restart. That's fine. But, why the
    > hell doesn't the scan run then? Windows just restarts, I logon on, and
    > no-thing happens.

    Not sure, maybe the drive hasn't mounted yet??????????????

    >Also, should a scheduled chkdsk show up in Scheduled
    > Tasks in Control Panel or not?

    I would ASSume it would :) But I'm not sure just how much of the OS
    actually mounts when it does a chkdsk upon boot hence the need to add it
    to the Task Scheduler in the first place.

    > Thanks.

    YW

    Meat Plow, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Today Meat Plow commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> It will ask for a reboot to gain exclusive access no
    >>> matter if the drive is internal or external or regardless
    >>> if it is FT32 or NTFS. Why are you scanning for bad
    >>> sectors?

    >> I /always/ scan for bad sectors /before/ doing a de-frag.
    >> I'm cautious and unsure if Windows or Norton Speed Disk
    >> are bright enough to verify a cluster before they write to
    >> it. I haven't found a bad block in years, but I believe in
    >> never giving Murphy an even break.

    > That's because IIRC, modern drives map bad blocks on their
    > own. Back in my CNE days, the Novell OS used to do that on
    > its own. You knew it was time to change a drive when the OS
    > started moving blocks of data to an area reserved by Novell
    > for that reason.

    Didn't know that! Thanks! I guess my technical data is pretty
    out-of-date, huh? <grin> This'll save me a /lot/ of time when
    I want to defrag from now on.

    >> I know, BTW, why it wants to to a restart. That's fine.
    >> But, why the hell doesn't the scan run then? Windows just
    >> restarts, I logon on, and no-thing happens.

    > Not sure, maybe the drive hasn't mounted yet??????????????

    No, I don't think so, Meat. I tried this over and over, waited
    awhile, checked again, nuttin' honey in Scheduled Tasks. And,
    a restart produced no chkdsk run. I "solved" that one by not
    checking the top box on the Tools dialog box, the one that
    verifies file integrity. But, in light of your earlier
    comment, I think I can stop doing this routinely and save not
    only time, but frustration..

    >>Also, should a scheduled chkdsk show up in Scheduled
    >> Tasks in Control Panel or not?

    > I would ASSume it would :) But I'm not sure just how much
    > of the OS actually mounts when it does a chkdsk upon boot
    > hence the need to add it to the Task Scheduler in the first
    > place.

    Yeah. I was taught as a boy engineer 37 years ago what happens
    when you ass/u/me - it "makes a 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.
    <grin> The issue is now moot, thanks to you. Have a good one!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Feb 13, 2006