    tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.
    john, Feb 4, 2005

  2. john

    philo Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm running Win98 and cannot get to BIOS. I have Compaq Presario. I've
    > tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    > repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    > being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.

    Compaq bios access is F10
    give it a try again
    philo, Feb 4, 2005

  3. john

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    | "john" <> wrote in message
    | > I'm running Win98 and cannot get to BIOS. I have Compaq Presario. I've
    | > tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    | > repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    | > being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.
    | >

    | Compaq bios access is F10
    | give it a try again

    On my old Compaqs, it needs to be pressed right after the cursor moves from
    the left side of the display to the right.
    Toolman Tim, Feb 5, 2005
  4. john

    James Mourby Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "john" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm running Win98 and cannot get to BIOS. I have Compaq Presario. I've
    >> tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    >> repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    >> being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.
    >>

    > Compaq bios access is F10
    > give it a try again

    Thats weird... on mine its delete.
    James Mourby, Feb 5, 2005
  5. john

    Plato Guest

    john wrote:

    > I'm running Win98 and cannot get to BIOS. I have Compaq Presario. I've
    > tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    > repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    > being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.

    Historically you hit f10 when the big cursor was in the upper right hand
    side of the screen on startup. Then compaq with some of its models
    started going standard with the Del key. Oddly, for older compaqs the
    bios axs ware was NOT on the motherboard itself, but on the c: drive. If
    the bios axs ware was on c: then the cursor would appear, if not, lets
    say after an fdisk/format, then there'd be no cursor an no way to change
    bios setting unless you downloaded what they called rompaqs. ie 2 disks,
    one for the bios and one utilties. One could axs the bios simply by
    running the 1.44 disk, or installing it to the hard drive to get the big
    cursor to appear.

    Sadly, years ago compaq removed those rompaqs you needed from their
    website.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 5, 2005
  6. john

    philo Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > john wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm running Win98 and cannot get to BIOS. I have Compaq Presario. I've
    >> tried taking out the keyboard and also pressing F1 all the way to f12
    >> repeatedly to no avail. Any ideas how to get to the bios or at least
    >> being able to read the CD-ROM? Thanks.

    > Historically you hit f10 when the big cursor was in the upper right hand
    > side of the screen on startup. Then compaq with some of its models
    > started going standard with the Del key. Oddly, for older compaqs the
    > bios axs ware was NOT on the motherboard itself, but on the c: drive. If
    > the bios axs ware was on c: then the cursor would appear, if not, lets
    > say after an fdisk/format, then there'd be no cursor an no way to change
    > bios setting unless you downloaded what they called rompaqs. ie 2 disks,
    > one for the bios and one utilties. One could axs the bios simply by
    > running the 1.44 disk, or installing it to the hard drive to get the big
    > cursor to appear.
    >
    > Sadly, years ago compaq removed those rompaqs you needed from their
    > website.

    however HP does have quite a bit of the downloadable setup
    disks for some pretty old Compaqs
    philo, Feb 5, 2005
  7. john

    Big Red1 Guest

    test

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
    Big Red1, Feb 5, 2005
  8. john

    pat Guest

    You are hitting the wrong button hit Del next to the number pad

    pat, Feb 6, 2005