    assign manual but it wont work.

    I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
    something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    BobC Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:14:01 -0700, marc wrote:

    > just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
    > ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
    > in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
    > "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
    > assign manual but it wont work.
    >
    > I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
    > something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

    Did you reinstall the driver fo rthe network card? Ids the XP firewall
    blocking your access?

    BobC, Jun 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    The help and support section says that XP tries to do a normal DHCP IP
    address configuration. If the DHCP server can't be reached, after 60
    seconds it goes to the alternate configuration tab and does that.

    You may already know this, but I have seen other folks with the same message
    and did not know why. So it seems your Wireless card is not communicating
    with the Router. As Bob said, can you think of anything blocking the
    communication? Are you using MAC filtering, do you have a good signal, do
    you have enough addresses available for one to be assigned? Any firewalls
    in place?

    Have you tried changing your laptop's address to see if it will redo the
    DHCP? Try changing the range of addresses the DHCP server will give out,
    which will force it to redo.

    If you can't assign a manual IP address, try setting the alternate
    configuration to whatever manual IP address and such and see if it will pick
    that up. Of course, if it does, that means it is still not communicating
    with the DHCP server.

    I might try later to disable by DHCP server to see what happens.

    Clark

    Are there any logs you could check to see if something is showing up?

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    "marc" <> wrote:
    >just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
    >ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
    >in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
    >"automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
    >assign manual but it wont work.
    >
    >I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
    >something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

    Did you specify the right wireless network settings (SSID, encryption
    type, encryption key) on the laptop's wireless connection?
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jun 20, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
    IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
    IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
    tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
    worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
    (Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
    configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  6. "Clark" wrote:

    > Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
    > IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
    > IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
    > tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
    > worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
    > (Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
    > configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "marc" <> wrote in message
    > > just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
    > > the
    > > ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
    > > fresh
    > > in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
    > > "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
    > > assign manual but it wont work.
    > >
    > > I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
    > > something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
    > > ideas

    Hi guys thanks for the replys.
    I have turned off windows firewall but this makes no difference
    I have checked the wireless config, and the netgear connects (go green) to
    indicate that all ssid and wep are correct but still it wont pick up dhcp.
    I have tried to renew etc but this wont work either and also re booted the
    gateway but this stills does not work, then lep top gets the info but the pc
    wont. I have tried the reg edit to disable windows assigning ip but this
    aslo fails. cant think what can be blocking the incoming dhcp. even when i
    put all the right info into a manual connection it looks like its connected
    but the connection does not work cant even ping the gateway

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  7. if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
    accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as soon
    as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
    connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
    this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the router
    have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
    using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
    and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
    may be a conflict between more than one firewall.

    Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the router
    when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security settings
    that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the router,
    unless you have locked out that machine somehow.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  9. I have 2 routers 1st is a modem router usr and the second is a wireless
    router netgear wgt624. both routers have firewalls on etc. I have mac
    filtering and wep security. This was the setup before i rebuilt my system.
    now after i have rebuilt the system no security measure will work at all. I
    have tried with just mac and wep security and still no joy. the pc wont pick
    up the dhcp from the router with security and b4 it did, i do think the
    problem is sp2 related as i have never had this problem when i rebuild my
    systema and this is the first time I used a sp2 disk to rebuild my system

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    Maybe someone else will know, but SP2 added a built in Windows firewall. I
    don't remember if you tried turning that off, but it appears from what you
    say that there may be 3 firewalls now between you and the internet. If that
    is the case, it seems a little excessive. The Windows Firewall settings are
    in the Control Panel.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  11. I know !!! never had any problems before. I have turned off windows firewall .

    The only difference I can see between laptop and pc in the services is this
    if i go to dhcp client and open it up and go to the dependencies tab and
    expand netbois over tcpip is the laptop has mpfirewl (i think is mcafee
    firewall) but i could be wrong !!!! any other ideas

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  12. I can get mac filter working and I am not broadcasting my ssid but I cant get
    wep working at all. Never had this problem b4 any ideas, when I do put it on
    DHCP is not able to assign the pc an ip

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    I just went through mine and without changing anything on the router (DHCP
    server)--
    If I disabled WEP the DHCP worked.
    If I used a different key (2 instead of 1) the DHCP worked.
    If I used the wrong WEP key I was no longer able to connect to the router
    and an autoconfiguration IP address was supplied.

    From this, I would suggest redoing your WEP settings. Maybe you used a
    different passphrase or typed in one of the digits incorrectly.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    And one more thing, pleeeaaase check to see if you have the 802.1x
    authentication enabled. Every time I bring this up, it is like the Merrill
    Lynch commercials were everyone gets really quiet!

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005
  15. Where is that setting?

    Arch

    Arch Willingham, Jun 21, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
    Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
    smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by default,
    so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem is
    my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
    folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find other
    reasons for the problem.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 21, 2005
  17. hi guys thanks for all the help. the cause of the trouble is this
    "Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to fail."
    managed to track this down now i have moved from wep to wea and its working
    the other solution available would be to uninstal the hotfix

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 21, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    If I read the hotfix correctly, the update made it mandatory to use the
    802.1x protocol if you are using WAP. My wireless laptop has an AEGIS
    Protocol for 802.1x just above the TCP/IP protocol in the Wireless Network
    Connections Properties-General tab. You might see if you can add the
    protocol if you don't have it. I don't remember seeing anything from
    Microsoft on this and none of the Microsoft experts have brought it up.

    I do not have that Hotfix installed as of yet.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 21, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Clark Guest

    See if you have the latest Windows updates. There may be a fix in there
    somewhere.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 22, 2005
  20. I got this info regarding the hotfix from netgear support
    "Internet Connection Fails in Windows XP After Installing Microsoft's Hotfix
    Q815485

    Cause

    Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to fail.

    Fix

    Hotfixes are Microsoft updates which they regard as critical. Hotfix Q815485
    gives XP users WPA the new Wi-Fi security. Unfortunately, whether you use WPA
    or not, this Hotfix may cause wireless drivers to malfunction.

    This Microsoft problem has affected many companies.

    Resolve this one of three ways, depending on whether you use WPA, and
    whether your network devices have their own WPA configuration utilities.

    Resolution If You Don't Use WPA

    If the hotfix is installed, and it is stopping your connectivity, remove the
    hotfix as described in the section below.
    Resolution If You use WPA, and some of Your Network Devices do not Have
    Their Own WPA Configuration Utility

    Install the hotfix and use the Windows WPA configuration utility.
    Resolution If You Use WPA, and all Your Network Devices have Their Own
    Configuration Utility

    Install the hotfix, but don't use the Windows WPA configuration utility. Use
    the network devices' own configuration utilitiy, instead.

    To Remove the Hotfix

    Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    Click Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485.
    Click Remove. You might see a message that programs won't work if the update
    is removed. Ignore it, and click Yes to remove the update.
    Restart your computer.
    Rerun the Smart Display Setup Wizard.

    To Install or to Restore the Hotfix

    Link to Restore Microsoft Hotfix"
    link http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101214.asp.

    I did have this hotfix on the new install disk i made, which in turn gave me
    all the problems with security settings. I do have AEGIS enabled on the
    laptop and pc

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 22, 2005