Cant get rid of RAID array/settings on 2 HDDS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alex©, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Alex©

    Alex© Guest

    2 x 60gb Seagate BArracudas set as Strip 0 on a Gigabyte Raid Motherboard.

    Changed then to SATA IDES and wanted to use the IDE drives as ordinary
    drives on other computers.

    Cnt get the blasted RAID settings of the drives.

    USed the PRomise Raid Function to remove the RAID array of the drives, and
    then when I put them in another system, they indivdually keep showing as 114
    Gbyte (That was the size of the 2 drives when arrayed)

    Have tried to remove partions using Win XP CD at Install stage, to know
    avail, XP keeps showing the single drive as being 114 Gb (When its only
    60Gb)

    How do I get rid of the RAID settings so I can resue the drives?

    Thanks

    Alex

    Alex©, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Alex© Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <bg1df3$6r4$>:

    > 2 x 60gb Seagate BArracudas set as Strip 0 on a Gigabyte Raid
    > Motherboard.
    >
    > Changed then to SATA IDES and wanted to use the IDE drives as
    > ordinary drives on other computers.
    >
    > Cnt get the blasted RAID settings of the drives.
    >
    > USed the PRomise Raid Function to remove the RAID array of the
    > drives, and then when I put them in another system, they indivdually
    > keep showing as 114 Gbyte (That was the size of the 2 drives when
    > arrayed)
    >
    > Have tried to remove partions using Win XP CD at Install stage, to
    > know avail, XP keeps showing the single drive as being 114 Gb (When
    > its only 60Gb)
    >
    > How do I get rid of the RAID settings so I can resue the drives?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alex

    Are there settings in the RAID controller card's BIOS setup that
    are setting these up as RAID drives? If so, you will want to change
    them to either a single drive, or the two drives that they are...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Alex© Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <bg1m08$d9n$>:

    > No. the drives are now being set on as PRIMARY HDD O on other
    > systems with
    > no RAID functions. ITs just that the RAID array seems to have
    > "STUCK" on
    > the hard drives, and I cant use them. They keep showing as being
    > 114 Gb Each (They arent together, but in 2 different computers)
    >
    > There must be some way to remove the RAID ARRAY settings created
    > when they were Raided in the Gigabyte board using the Promise Raid
    > settings,
    >
    > Thansk

    When you initially setup a RAID it writes some info to the
    harddisk. I know you've setup these harddisks on another machine.
    Have you tried fdisk /mbr? Have you checked the RAID controller to
    make sure the RAID array has been deleted? I know you went the
    software route, but I don't always trust it. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 28, 2003