    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 9, 2008

  2. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    joevan Guest

    joevan, Oct 9, 2008

  3. On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:47:08 -0400, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote:
    >
    >>Can't get rid of desktop icons

    >Try this. Maybe just restarting in safe mode might do the trick but
    >just in case get process explorer and find out what is going on.
    >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    Thanks joevam I'll pass it on
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 9, 2008
  4. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote:

    >Hi
    >using win xp
    >My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
    >on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
    >
    >Now he can't get rid of these icons
    >
    >He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine and
    >H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons, deleted the icon streams and
    >altered the binary codes but they seem to regenerate themselves.
    >His desktop is a mess of icons.
    >
    >Would anyone know how to fix this please?

    Has he tried uninstalling the Magix Photos software?

    Evan Platt, Oct 9, 2008
  5. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    chuckcar Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote in

    > Hi
    > using win xp
    > My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
    > on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
    >
    > Now he can't get rid of these icons
    >
    > He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine

    That's one of the *major* branches of the registry. A *bit* more detail
    would be required to have *any* idea of what was done.

    > and H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons,

    Same thing. There's only 6 and you mention 2 of them.

    > deleted the icon streams and altered the binary codes but they seem to
    > regenerate themselves.

    Huh? once more with meaning please. Detail might help too.

    > His desktop is a mess of icons.
    >
    > Would anyone know how to fix this please?

    Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
    dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
    and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
    appears directly above "start".

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 9, 2008
  6. On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 07:54:10 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>using win xp
    >>My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
    >>on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
    >>
    >>Now he can't get rid of these icons
    >>
    >>He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine and
    >>H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons, deleted the icon streams and
    >>altered the binary codes but they seem to regenerate themselves.
    >>His desktop is a mess of icons.
    >>
    >>Would anyone know how to fix this please?

    >Has he tried uninstalling the Magix Photos software?

    yes, software uninstalled
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 9, 2008
  7. On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:58:38 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
    >dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
    >and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
    >appears directly above "start".

    I don't know all the details. only what he has told me via e-mail
    I'll ask for more details
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 9, 2008
  8. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >That's one of the *major* branches of the registry. A *bit* more detail
    >would be required to have *any* idea of what was done.

    As opposed to the minor branches of the registry? Those are actually
    the root of the registry.

    >Same thing. There's only 6 and you mention 2 of them.

    Funny, I have 5.

    Evan Platt, Oct 9, 2008
  9. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    chuckcar Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote in

    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:58:38 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
    >>dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
    >>and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
    >>appears directly above "start".

    > I don't know all the details. only what he has told me via e-mail
    > I'll ask for more details

    Here's a novel idea: have *him* post here.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 9, 2008
  10. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Andy Petro Guest

    Move it to the recycle bin.

    Andy Petro, Oct 10, 2008
  11. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:17:02 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    >Move it to the recycle bin.

    Move WHAT to the recycling bin? Why are you telling this to me?

    Evan Platt, Oct 10, 2008
  12. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Tony Guest

    Lucky for you i just showed up. Get some kaleidoscope icons and glue them to
    your glasses.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 10, 2008
  13. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Tony Guest

    I hate both of them. You need to get a second job just to afford either one.
    I still get dial-up from america for a couple of bucks a month because some
    months i run out of money.

    Tony, Oct 10, 2008
  14. My friend has just reformated his hard drive
    Thank you all for your help
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬