Can't get nz.general - file damaged?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook Express store file may
    be damaged. Please use utility such as scandisk etc"

    I can get other newsgroups.

    Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go all along the line
    keep coming on and off. Only one blue square appears, and then goes off.
    (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this)

    Is there another utility, or how can I get scandisk to work please? I've
    looked at the Help menu but it doesn't cover this.
    I have pc-cillin 2004 and there are no viruses.

    Windows ME, Outlook Express 6. Getting newsgroups from news.xtra.co.nz.

    I know very little about computers.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 13, 2005

  2. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook
    > Express store file may be damaged. Please use utility
    > such as scandisk etc"
    >
    > I can get other newsgroups.
    >
    > Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go
    > all along the line keep coming on and off. Only one blue
    > square appears, and then goes off.(sorry, I don't know
    > the technical term for this)
    >
    > Is there another utility, or how can I get scandisk to
    > work please? I've looked at the Help menu but it doesn't
    > cover this. I have pc-cillin 2004 and there are
    > no viruses.
    >
    > Windows ME, Outlook Express 6. Getting newsgroups from
    > news.xtra.co.nz.
    >
    > I know very little about computers.

    I'm sorry to say that you disk may be on the way out. The
    fact that Scandisk doesn't work properly is particularly
    worrying.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 14, 2005

  3. "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook Express store file
    >may
    > be damaged. Please use utility such as scandisk etc"
    >
    > I can get other newsgroups.
    >
    > Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go all along the line
    > keep coming on and off. Only one blue square appears, and then goes off.
    > (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this)

    You need to be certain nothing in Windows ME is interferring with ScanDisk,
    so try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222469#XSLTH4159121123120121120120

    In Outlook Express, right click on the nz.general newsgroup entry, select
    "Properties", click on the "Local File" tab, click the "Reset" button. That
    should make nz.general accessible, in theory.

    Tony.
    --
    "Disrespect for the Holy Koran is not now, nor has it ever been, nor will it
    never be, tolerated by the United States."-- Condoleeza Rice

    "To the extent [My Resolution Regarding Relgious (sic) Intolerance] mentions
    the Quran and Islam specifically, that is obviously to respond to those who
    believe our nation would tolerate disrespect of that religion or its holy
    book. Clearly we should not, at least in my opinion."-- John Conyers Jr;
    Democrat.
    The Black Wibble, Aug 14, 2005
  4. geopelia

    PC Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook Express store file
    >may
    > be damaged. Please use utility such as scandisk etc"
    >
    > I can get other newsgroups.
    >
    > Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go all along the line
    > keep coming on and off. Only one blue square appears, and then goes off.
    > (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this)
    >
    > Is there another utility, or how can I get scandisk to work please? I've
    > looked at the Help menu but it doesn't cover this.
    > I have pc-cillin 2004 and there are no viruses.
    >
    > Windows ME, Outlook Express 6. Getting newsgroups from news.xtra.co.nz.
    >
    > I know very little about computers.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Do a 'Scandisk' in 'Safe Mode'
    (Press F8 as the PC starts)

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Aug 14, 2005
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "The Black Wibble" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook Express store file
    > >may
    > > be damaged. Please use utility such as scandisk etc"
    > >
    > > I can get other newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go all along the

    line
    > > keep coming on and off. Only one blue square appears, and then goes off.
    > > (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this)

    > You need to be certain nothing in Windows ME is interferring with

    ScanDisk,
    > so try this:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222469#XSLTH4159121123120121120120
    >
    > In Outlook Express, right click on the nz.general newsgroup entry, select
    > "Properties", click on the "Local File" tab, click the "Reset" button.

    That
    > should make nz.general accessible, in theory.
    >
    > Tony.

    I'll have a look at that website

    Thanks for your help. I have a lot to learn!

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 14, 2005
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >I can't get nz.general. I get the message "An Outlook Express store file
    > >may
    > > be damaged. Please use utility such as scandisk etc"
    > >
    > > I can get other newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Scandisk isn't working. The blue squares that should go all along the

    line
    > > keep coming on and off. Only one blue square appears, and then goes off.
    > > (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this)
    > >
    > > Is there another utility, or how can I get scandisk to work please? I've
    > > looked at the Help menu but it doesn't cover this.
    > > I have pc-cillin 2004 and there are no viruses.
    > >
    > > Windows ME, Outlook Express 6. Getting newsgroups from news.xtra.co.nz.
    > >
    > > I know very little about computers.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Do a 'Scandisk' in 'Safe Mode'
    > (Press F8 as the PC starts)

    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thank you. I'd better read up on Safe Mode first, not having much of a clue.
    Scandisk doesn't work after "Improper shutdown" either.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 14, 2005
  7. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you. I did that, but got the same message. Then
    > I unsubscribed and subscribed again, and it seems to
    > have fixed the newsgroup. (When I unsubscribed and
    > subscribed before, it didn't work)

    Sure, but the Scandisk problem still, IMO, points to
    something being wrong with the disk. I strongly suggest that
    you back up your important data.

    Unsubscribing and resubscribing may just have caused the
    system to use a different part of your disk.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 14, 2005
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > >
    > > Thank you. I did that, but got the same message. Then
    > > I unsubscribed and subscribed again, and it seems to
    > > have fixed the newsgroup. (When I unsubscribed and
    > > subscribed before, it didn't work)
    > >

    > Sure, but the Scandisk problem still, IMO, points to
    > something being wrong with the disk. I strongly suggest that
    > you back up your important data.
    >
    > Unsubscribing and resubscribing may just have caused the
    > system to use a different part of your disk.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you. I'd better get the technician to have a look They recently
    replaced just about everything, and I kept finding bits left out.
    I have several copies of important things, also I have printed a lot out on
    paper.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Aug 14, 2005
  9. geopelia

    PC Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> geopelia wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Thank you. I did that, but got the same message. Then
    >> > I unsubscribed and subscribed again, and it seems to
    >> > have fixed the newsgroup. (When I unsubscribed and
    >> > subscribed before, it didn't work)
    >> >

    >> Sure, but the Scandisk problem still, IMO, points to
    >> something being wrong with the disk. I strongly suggest that
    >> you back up your important data.
    >>
    >> Unsubscribing and resubscribing may just have caused the
    >> system to use a different part of your disk.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Thank you. I'd better get the technician to have a look They recently
    > replaced just about everything, and I kept finding bits left out.
    > I have several copies of important things, also I have printed a lot out
    > on
    > paper.
    >

    > Geopelia
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

    mmmm
    Corrupt OE Folder, Scan disk won't work, recent parts replacements.......
    Methinks you may need to save your data and do some hardware diagnostics
    before a full format/reinstall.
    (or the techs if it is a new PC)

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Aug 15, 2005
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    > >> Sure, but the Scandisk problem still, IMO, points to
    > >> something being wrong with the disk. I strongly suggest that
    > >> you back up your important data.
    > >>
    > >> Unsubscribing and resubscribing may just have caused the
    > >> system to use a different part of your disk.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Cliff

    > > Thank you. I'd better get the technician to have a look They recently
    > > replaced just about everything, and I kept finding bits left out.
    > > I have several copies of important things, also I have printed a lot out
    > > on
    > > paper.
    > >

    > > Geopelia
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

    > mmmm
    > Corrupt OE Folder, Scan disk won't work, recent parts replacements.......
    > Methinks you may need to save your data and do some hardware diagnostics
    > before a full format/reinstall.
    > (or the techs if it is a new PC)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    They removed everything, put in a new hard drive (I think they called it
    that, is it the same as a disk?) then replaced everything. Some things were
    left out and they came back and reinstalled them.
    The error message said an Outlook Express store file may be damaged. It only
    affected nz.general . All the other groups were working. The computer is
    five years old.
    Thank you. I'll talk to the shop.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 15, 2005
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    For reasons best known to itself the scandisk decided to work this morning.
    It found a lot of errors and fixed them. So if it works now and then I
    suppose I can manage with it. I've no idea why it should have suddenly
    decided to behave itself, nothing I did was any different.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 16, 2005