Can't get Netbios to run over TC/PIP on XP Home - please help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BigJoe, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. BigJoe

    BigJoe Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
    desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
    adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
    with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
    router by cable.)

    I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
    laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
    workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.

    When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
    tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
    ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.

    Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?

    Thanks for any help.

    Joe
    BigJoe, Jun 24, 2006

  2. BigJoe:

    I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
    out why yet, but I'm networked.

    Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
    sharing" to test if these are the issues??

    After that, it might take 20 or more minutes to show up in Netweork places.
    I manually added them in via Network place->add a Network place

    There'a also a command NBTSTAT, (NBTSTAT /? for all the switches) that can
    tell you what the PC's are broadcasting to each other on the network, IP
    address, names etc.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jun 24, 2006

  3. BigJoe

    BigJoe Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:58:01 -0700, FrankChin
    <> wrote:

    >BigJoe:

    Wow - that was a quick reply! Thank you.

    >I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
    >out why yet, but I'm networked.
    >
    >Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
    >sharing" to test if these are the issues??

    Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
    Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
    be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
    admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.

    BigJoe, Jun 24, 2006
  4. Big Joe:

    Maybe this would help:

    http://www.chicagotech.net/netbios&wins.htm

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jun 24, 2006
  5. Another article on your problem

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-9007-NetBT-Troubleshooting-windows-XP.html

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jun 24, 2006
  6. "BigJoe" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
    > Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
    > be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
    > admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.

    FYI, if I want a networked share showing up in My Network Places quickly, I
    load a browser and enter the IP address of the computer with the share which
    isn't currently showing up. Eg, if 192.168.0.34 has a share that isn't
    showing, I enter \\192.168.0.34 into the browser. Remember, the slashes are
    \ way not / way. That brings up all shares on that machine, assuming it is
    properly configured and no firewall is blocking it AND it does it right then
    and there.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jun 24, 2006