    all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?

    Cheers.

    , Mar 19, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
    > connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
    > would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
    > secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
    > all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
    > Cheers.

    Try it without the hub

    Southern Kiwi, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Dave Taylor Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Try it without the hub

    Maybe it is the drive inside the caddy?
    There are 2.5" to IDE adapters so you can see if it is the drive itself
    that is dead, isolating the caddy as the possible cause.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 19, 2006
  4. Phillip Guest

    Has it worked via the HUB before? If not then there's your answer.

    If the drive is powered via the HUB then it's possible either the HUB
    doesn't provide enough power, other devices on the HUB if any may be
    draining most of the power or if your've added hadrware to your computer
    since it last worked not enought power is being sent to to HUB.

    You might have guessed by now I suspect it is a sustained power issue.

    A friend of mine recently bought a 2.5" USB drive package & was very
    disappointed with it compared to his earlier one. If it's recently new or
    was cheap it might be faulty.

    As suggested in another post try connecting it directly to a USB port on
    your computer rather than the HUB as the port should supply better power &
    will identify if the HUB is the issue.

    Phillip, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Nova Guest

    wrote:
    > I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
    > connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
    > would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
    > secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
    > all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
    >
    > Cheers.

    I've had this problem too, not with a hub, but the drive starting up
    then dying then starting up again etc etc. It was a power issue. My
    external drive came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug it into 2
    usb ports, once I did that it was fine. I have found it runs ok on 1
    usb port on most desktops but on front usb ports it needs the power of 2
    usb ports and also on my laptop it can't get enough power.

    Nova, Mar 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I use a 2.5" housing/notebook hard disk and recently it simply wouldn't
    > > connect properly. What happens is when it's plugged in the computer
    > > would detect/read it for 2~5 secs, lose it, detect/read for another 2~5
    > > secs, lose it again... AD INFINITUM! I'm using a usb hub and I've tried
    > > all ports with same or worse results. Any idea how to fix this?
    > >
    > > Cheers.
    > >

    > I've had this problem too, not with a hub, but the drive starting up
    > then dying then starting up again etc etc. It was a power issue. My
    > external drive came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug it into 2
    > usb ports, once I did that it was fine. I have found it runs ok on 1
    > usb port on most desktops but on front usb ports it needs the power of 2
    > usb ports and also on my laptop it can't get enough power.

    I also use 2 ports for the drive and the hub is externally powered, so
    a likely explanation would be that the hub's power supply is unstable.
    I managed to get the drive to run again for the last few days (not sure
    exactly how) but occasionally it still loses connection. I suppose I'll
    need to source a better hub.

    , Mar 21, 2006