    Note that all text and logos and such print out fine.

    Thanks guys.
    , May 24, 2004

  2. Parko Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:45:43 +0000, dipped a thumbnail
    in tar and wrote:

    > I've got a modern Dell computer

    So it doesn't use valves then?

    --
    Parko.
    Parko, May 24, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:45:43 +0000, dipped a thumbnail
    > in tar and wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a modern Dell computer

    > So it doesn't use valves then?

    (That would be "tubes" on *my* side of the pond...)
    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004
  4. Parko Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:47:07 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    and wrote:

    > "Parko" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:45:43 +0000, dipped a thumbnail
    >> in tar and wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've got a modern Dell computer

    >> So it doesn't use valves then?
    >>

    > (That would be "tubes" on *my* side of the pond...)

    I wonder how many boy wonders know what a vacuum tube is, let alone what
    to do with it. Bloody big pond (reference to my ISP totally not intended).

    --
    Parko.
    http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/
    Parko, May 24, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:47:07 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    > and wrote:
    >

    > > "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:45:43 +0000, dipped a

    thumbnail

    > >> So it doesn't use valves then?
    > >>

    > > (That would be "tubes" on *my* side of the pond...)

    > I wonder how many boy wonders know what a vacuum tube is, let alone what
    > to do with it. Bloody big pond (reference to my ISP totally not intended).

    Oh heck, I still have a "H.H. Scott" home stereo system (complete that
    fancy-pants "FM Multiplexer" add-on!) built from a kit - all vacuum tubes -
    no "solid state" stuff! Someday I want to build a nice oak cabinet for it
    and put it back into service. What I wouldn't give for the old Sansui and
    Kenwood tube receivers I gave away a few years back ;-(
    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004
  6. Guest

    How old are you Tim and what do you do for a living?

  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    Oh - mid 40's, and I have one of those jobs with no "title". I do the
    computer stuff at work - maintenance, upgrades, installs, etc., and I do
    customer service for one division - order entry, invoicing, tech support,
    CAD drawings, so much more. And there's a few other "odd jobs" thrown in.
    (The company I work for is a wood products manufacturing group - about 40 in
    the office, 400 in the mill, plus three or four other companies including
    wholesale wood sales.) Never a dull day at my office!

    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004
  8. Parko Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:51:21 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    and wrote:

    > "Parko" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:47:07 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    >> and wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Parko" <> wrote in message

    > thumbnail

    >> > (That would be "tubes" on *my* side of the pond...)

    >> I wonder how many boy wonders know what a vacuum tube is, let alone what
    >> to do with it. Bloody big pond (reference to my ISP totally not intended).
    >>

    > Oh heck, I still have a "H.H. Scott" home stereo system (complete that
    > fancy-pants "FM Multiplexer" add-on!) built from a kit - all vacuum tubes -
    > no "solid state" stuff! Someday I want to build a nice oak cabinet for it
    > and put it back into service. What I wouldn't give for the old Sansui and
    > Kenwood tube receivers I gave away a few years back ;-(

    And I bet it would work better than today's stuff. The cabinet I could
    make, complete with dovetail joins...

    --
    Parko
    Not being a smartarse...
    Parko, May 24, 2004
  9. Guest

    Why would you want to mess around with prehistoric equipment like
    that?

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:46:27 -0700, "Toolman Tim"

  10. Toolman Tim Guest

    <snipped>
    > > Oh heck, I still have a "H.H. Scott" home stereo system (complete that
    > > fancy-pants "FM Multiplexer" add-on!) built from a kit - all vacuum

    tubes -
    > > no "solid state" stuff! Someday I want to build a nice oak cabinet for

    it
    > > and put it back into service. What I wouldn't give for the old Sansui

    and
    > > Kenwood tube receivers I gave away a few years back ;-(

    > And I bet it would work better than today's stuff. The cabinet I could
    > make, complete with dovetail joins...

    Rich tonal quality - nice! And the wood I use is great too...1" to 1-1/16"
    thick x 11" wide solid red oak - no glue seams, no defects...unfortunately,
    I have no woodworking tools left since my ex gave away just about everything
    before the divorce. I'd have to take it in work a piece at a time and do it
    at lunch. (11" is too narrow, I'd have to edge-glue it, probably with
    jointer biscuits - the less glue lines, the better!) Oh well...it's not on
    the priority list <g>
    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004
  11. Guest

    Are you suggesting the sound quality will be better than you can get
    on modern gear?

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:11:23 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote:

    ><snipped>
    >> > Oh heck, I still have a "H.H. Scott" home stereo system (complete that
    >> > fancy-pants "FM Multiplexer" add-on!) built from a kit - all vacuum

    >tubes -
    >> > no "solid state" stuff! Someday I want to build a nice oak cabinet for

    >it
    >> > and put it back into service. What I wouldn't give for the old Sansui

    >and
    >> > Kenwood tube receivers I gave away a few years back ;-(

    >> And I bet it would work better than today's stuff. The cabinet I could
    >> make, complete with dovetail joins...
    >>

    >Rich tonal quality - nice! And the wood I use is great too...1" to 1-1/16"
    >thick x 11" wide solid red oak - no glue seams, no defects...unfortunately,
    >I have no woodworking tools left since my ex gave away just about everything
    >before the divorce. I'd have to take it in work a piece at a time and do it
    >at lunch. (11" is too narrow, I'd have to edge-glue it, probably with
    >jointer biscuits - the less glue lines, the better!) Oh well...it's not on
    >the priority list <g>

    , May 24, 2004
  12. -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:11:08 GMT, ()
    scribbled:

    >Why would you want to mess around with prehistoric equipment like
    >that?

    Because tubes have a warmth that solid state circuitry just cannot
    reproduce. That's why the best guitarists invariably use tube amps.

    >On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:46:27 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    ><ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Oh - mid 40's, and I have one of those jobs with no "title". I do the
    >>computer stuff at work - maintenance, upgrades, installs, etc., and I do
    >>customer service for one division - order entry, invoicing, tech support,
    >>CAD drawings, so much more. And there's a few other "odd jobs" thrown in.
    >>(The company I work for is a wood products manufacturing group - about 40 in
    >>the office, 400 in the mill, plus three or four other companies including
    >>wholesale wood sales.) Never a dull day at my office!
    >>
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> How old are you Tim and what do you do for a living?

    >>tar

    >>what

    >>intended).

    >>tubes -

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, May 24, 2004
  13. Guest

    Please define "warmth"?

    , May 24, 2004
  14. Parko Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:11:23 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    and wrote:

    > <snipped>
    >> > Oh heck, I still have a "H.H. Scott" home stereo system (complete that
    >> > fancy-pants "FM Multiplexer" add-on!) built from a kit - all vacuum

    > tubes -
    >> > no "solid state" stuff! Someday I want to build a nice oak cabinet for

    > it
    >> > and put it back into service. What I wouldn't give for the old Sansui

    > and
    >> > Kenwood tube receivers I gave away a few years back ;-(

    >> And I bet it would work better than today's stuff. The cabinet I could
    >> make, complete with dovetail joins...
    >>

    > Rich tonal quality - nice! And the wood I use is great too...1" to 1-1/16"
    > thick x 11" wide solid red oak - no glue seams, no defects...unfortunately,
    > I have no woodworking tools left since my ex gave away just about everything
    > before the divorce. I'd have to take it in work a piece at a time and do it
    > at lunch. (11" is too narrow, I'd have to edge-glue it, probably with
    > jointer biscuits - the less glue lines, the better!) Oh well...it's not on
    > the priority list <g>

    It is on the priority list. Blackwood is the preferred timber (smells
    sweet) on my part of the planet, or mountain ash, or tasmanian oak. 19mm,
    I'm doing it tomorrow...

    --
    Parko.
    With nine fingers left, ouch!
    Parko, May 24, 2004
  15. PJB Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Are you suggesting the sound quality will be better than

    you can get
    > on modern gear?

    It is widely recognised in the Hi-Fi world, that good valve
    kit can "sound" better than modern gear. The definition of
    "sound better" is very much a personal thing though.
    What is true, is that buying valve kit brand new can cost a
    LOT more than the equivalent modern stuff ;-)

    P.
    PJB, May 24, 2004
  16. -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:02:00 GMT, ()
    scribbled:

    >Please define "warmth"?

    You can't, you've either heard it and understood or haven't.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, May 24, 2004
  17. On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:21:52 GMT,
    () wrote:

    >Are you suggesting the sound quality will be better than you can get
    >on modern gear?

    A lot of top line audio equipment uses valves. Also, older guitar amps
    such as the Vox AC30 are in great demand and fetch big money because
    of the valves they use.
    The Great Cornholio, May 24, 2004
  18. Toolman Tim Guest

    "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:02:00 GMT, ()
    > scribbled:
    >
    > >Please define "warmth"?

    > You can't, you've either heard it and understood or haven't.

    Right - "warmth" is the opposite of the crisp, mechanical, sharp unforgiving
    sound of solid state amps. Not that we're talking muddy here, it's not that
    either. I think it's like the difference between real ice cream by a top
    quality maker, and ice milk. Both are frozen, sweet, and tasty, but the real
    ice cream is so much richer in quality.

    When I was learning to play bass guitar, our church had a Fender tube amp
    with 4 12" woofers that was absolutely the most wonderful sound...
    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2004
  19. Toolman Tim Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:11:23 -0700, Toolman Tim dipped a thumbnail in tar
    > and wrote:
    >
    > > <snipped>

    that

    > > tubes -

    for
    > > it

    > > and
    > >>
    > >> And I bet it would work better than today's stuff. The cabinet I could
    > >> make, complete with dovetail joins...
    > >>

    > > Rich tonal quality - nice! And the wood I use is great too...1" to

    1-1/16"
    > > thick x 11" wide solid red oak - no glue seams, no

    defects...unfortunately,
    > > I have no woodworking tools left since my ex gave away just about

    everything
    > > before the divorce. I'd have to take it in work a piece at a time and do

    it
    > > at lunch. (11" is too narrow, I'd have to edge-glue it, probably with
    > > jointer biscuits - the less glue lines, the better!) Oh well...it's not

    on
    > > the priority list <g>

    > It is on the priority list. Blackwood is the preferred timber (smells
    > sweet) on my part of the planet, or mountain ash, or tasmanian oak. 19mm,
    > I'm doing it tomorrow...

    Ah-that would be nice. I saw something recently that caught my eye - Purple
    Heart - it's a member of the mahogany species. Really beautiful stuff. We
    made turned architectural columns out of it. I wish there had been some
    leftover pieces <g>
    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2004
  20. Toolman Tim Guest

    As the others have said, it really isn't an issue of "quality". For
    instance, with modern solidstate equipment, you have the same broad
    frequency response, and exact reproduction across the full range. But with
    tubes, it's "tempered" - smooth, would be my best description. Dunno -
    there's just no way to really get it across. I mean, I do have JVC/Sony
    entertainment equipment for the connectivity and features (Surround Sound,
    digital enhancements, etc.) but I still think the tube amp sounds better -
    especially on my Everly Brothers and other oldies.

    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2004