    computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the drive
    can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to be
    loaded. What can I do?

    ibex, Mar 21, 2005

  2. ibex , wrote in message
    :
    > I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    > data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    > problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    > computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the
    > drive can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to
    > be loaded. What can I do?

    Plug everything in properly, no doubt you pulled something with your fat
    fingers.

    14 Stone Ninja, Mar 21, 2005

  3. ibex

    Robert Baer Guest

    ibex wrote:

    > I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    > data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    > problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    > computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the drive
    > can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to be
    > loaded. What can I do?

    Start with *only* the floppy drive connected, and get it working for
    booting (to DOS).
    The cable can be connected to the floppy in two different ways; there
    is no key or standard pin 1 orientation.
    If the floppy light is on continuously and usually the motor running
    also, the cable is in backwards.
    Be advised the floppy A: goes on the far end, *after* the twist
    (no...not Chubby Checkers).

    Then, install the Primary Master HD if you have more than one IDE device.
    When you power up, it might be helpful to switch to the BIOS to check
    the setup: device boot order should be (1) floppy, (2) Primary Master,
    (3) CD.

    When you have that working, install each IDE device one at a time and
    check all of them out.

    Take special care that you do not dislodge other connections, either
    on the motherboard or on the drives; make sure they all are completely
    and correctly seated.
    Do *NOT* force anything; bent and/or broken pins can result from that!

    Robert Baer, Mar 21, 2005
  4. ibex

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:39:13 +0000, 14 Stone Ninja
    <> wrote:

    >ibex , wrote in message
    >:
    >> I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    >> data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    >> problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    >> computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the
    >> drive can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to
    >> be loaded. What can I do?

    >Plug everything in properly, no doubt you pulled something with your fat
    >fingers.

    this place is as charming as ever.

    , Mar 21, 2005
  5. ibex

    k35454 Guest

    "ibex" <> wrote in message
    I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the drive
    can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to be
    loaded. What can I do?

    Turn computer OFF. Insert rescue floppy in A/ DRIVE. Turn computer ON .
    See if computer loads to the point where it suggests HELP. Type SYS C:
    then press Enter on keyboard. Get back to me. k35454.

    k35454, Mar 21, 2005
  6. ibex

    Robert Baer Guest

    k35454 wrote:

    > "ibex" <> wrote in message
    > I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    > data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    > problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    > computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the drive
    > can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to be
    > loaded. What can I do?
    >
    > Turn computer OFF. Insert rescue floppy in A/ DRIVE. Turn computer ON .
    > See if computer loads to the point where it suggests HELP. Type SYS C:
    > then press Enter on keyboard. Get back to me. k35454.

    I have found thru long and time wasting trials, that "rescue" methods
    are almost worse than useless.
    However, if the OP in following my suggestion, only has a "rescue"
    floppy on hand, thenat least it canbe used tosee if the floppy drive
    works and will boot.
    Other than that, it is useless.

    Robert Baer, Mar 22, 2005
  7. ibex

    k35454 Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    k35454 wrote:

    > "ibex" <> wrote in message
    > I was trying to install a new drive, and I stupidly switched around
    > data cables, trying to find a way to get my new drive installed. The
    > problem I have now is that I can't get any drive to be read by my
    > computer. Every time I load up, there is a prompt saying that the drive
    > can not be loaded and that the A:/ drive needs some software to be
    > loaded. What can I do?
    >
    > Turn computer OFF. Insert rescue floppy in A/ DRIVE. Turn computer ON .
    > See if computer loads to the point where it suggests HELP. Type SYS C:
    > then press Enter on keyboard. Get back to me. k35454.

    I have found thru long and time wasting trials, that "rescue" methods
    are almost worse than useless.
    However, if the OP in following my suggestion, only has a "rescue"
    floppy on hand, thenat least it canbe used tosee if the floppy drive
    works and will boot.
    Other than that, it is useless.

    I cannot argue against your experience, however in the
    immortal words of "Hunter" of a long-gone
    detective series by that name, "It works for me". Incidentally, since his
    PC is calling for A/Drive software, why not try it? k35454.

    k35454, Mar 22, 2005
  8. ibex

    Wizard Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > I have found thru long and time wasting trials, that "rescue"
    > methods are almost worse than useless.

    A shithouse plumber always blames his tools.

    Wizard, Mar 22, 2005