Can't get Mozilla 1.6 to work.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by MEow, May 12, 2004.

  1. MEow

    MEow Guest

    I've been using Mozilla for a while now. I installed it for the first
    time a few years ago, and had no problems with it. It worked fine.
    Last year when I had to restore my os, I also got a newer version of
    Mozilla: 1.3.1, which was also no problem, and it worked fine.

    Now I've had to restore my os again (yes, still the same os), so I
    went and got Mozilla 1.6 afterwards, same way as the other two times I
    had gotten it. I downloaded it, installed it, clicked to start it, and
    - nothing happened. I then re-booted, and Zonealarm asked me if I'd
    allow Mozilla to access the internet, which I obviously said yes to,
    thinking that now it would work, but when I clicked to start it -
    nothing happened.

    Now I'm back to using IE, but I much prefer Mozilla and want to use it
    again. Can anyone help me?

    --
    All the best,
    Nikitta.

    MEow, May 12, 2004

  2. MEow wrote:
    > I've been using Mozilla for a while now. I installed it for the first
    > time a few years ago, and had no problems with it. It worked fine.
    > Last year when I had to restore my os, I also got a newer version of
    > Mozilla: 1.3.1, which was also no problem, and it worked fine.
    >
    > Now I've had to restore my os again (yes, still the same os), so I
    > went and got Mozilla 1.6 afterwards, same way as the other two times I
    > had gotten it. I downloaded it, installed it, clicked to start it, and
    > - nothing happened. I then re-booted, and Zonealarm asked me if I'd
    > allow Mozilla to access the internet, which I obviously said yes to,
    > thinking that now it would work, but when I clicked to start it -
    > nothing happened.
    >
    > Now I'm back to using IE, but I much prefer Mozilla and want to use it
    > again. Can anyone help me?

    Let me understand you clearly. You skipped stright from 1.3.1 to 1.6.
    Did you install 1.6 over 1.3.1.

    As I recall, back when moving from 1.3 to 1.4, there was an issue with
    the installation. It was necessary both to remove 1.3 via Add/Remove
    Programs, and it was also necessary to delete the (now empty) C:\Program
    Files\mozilla.org folder.

    I recommend deleting whichever Moz installations showing in Add/Remove
    Programs. Delete the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org folder, *and* the
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org folder. Then reinstall Moz
    and see if it will start.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    Learn about the Champs! http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org

    Leonidas Jones, May 12, 2004

  3. MEow

    MEow Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:31:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    <> wrote:

    >Let me understand you clearly. You skipped stright from 1.3.1 to 1.6.

    Correct.

    >Did you install 1.6 over 1.3.1.

    No. I had just run a restore cd, which brings the software on my
    computer back to the same condition as when I bought my computer. Not
    exactly the same things as a re-install of my os, but anything not
    originally there was deleted, so there wasn't a single trace of 1.3.1.
    left on my computer when I installed 1.6.

    >As I recall, back when moving from 1.3 to 1.4, there was an issue with
    >the installation. It was necessary both to remove 1.3 via Add/Remove
    >Programs, and it was also necessary to delete the (now empty) C:\Program
    >Files\mozilla.org folder.
    >
    >I recommend deleting whichever Moz installations showing in Add/Remove
    >Programs. Delete the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org folder, *and* the
    >C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org folder. Then reinstall Moz
    >and see if it will start.

    I can always try that, I guess, but given that I didn't install it on
    top of 1.3.1 to begin with, do you think it will help?

    --
    Nikitta.

    MEow, May 13, 2004
  4. MEow wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:31:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Let me understand you clearly. You skipped stright from 1.3.1 to 1.6.

    > Correct.
    >

    >>Did you install 1.6 over 1.3.1.
    >>

    > No. I had just run a restore cd, which brings the software on my
    > computer back to the same condition as when I bought my computer. Not
    > exactly the same things as a re-install of my os, but anything not
    > originally there was deleted, so there wasn't a single trace of 1.3.1.
    > left on my computer when I installed 1.6.
    >

    >>As I recall, back when moving from 1.3 to 1.4, there was an issue with
    >>the installation. It was necessary both to remove 1.3 via Add/Remove
    >>Programs, and it was also necessary to delete the (now empty) C:\Program
    >>Files\mozilla.org folder.
    >>
    >>I recommend deleting whichever Moz installations showing in Add/Remove
    >>Programs. Delete the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org folder, *and* the
    >>C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org folder. Then reinstall Moz
    >>and see if it will start.
    >>

    > I can always try that, I guess, but given that I didn't install it on
    > top of 1.3.1 to begin with, do you think it will help?

    Can't hurt, might help.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, May 13, 2004
  5. MEow

    MEow Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:06:02 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    <> wrote:

    >>>I recommend deleting whichever Moz installations showing in Add/Remove
    >>>Programs. Delete the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org folder, *and* the
    >>>C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org folder. Then reinstall Moz
    >>>and see if it will start.

    >> I can always try that, I guess, but given that I didn't install it on
    >> top of 1.3.1 to begin with, do you think it will help?

    >Can't hurt, might help.

    I did just that, and oddly enough - it worked. Thank you!

    --
    Nikitta, The Happier.

    MEow, May 14, 2004