    but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD Athlon chip.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    jason.p, Jan 9, 2004

  2. jason.p

    ICee Guest

    jason.p wrote:
    > I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
    > boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD
    > Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Did you hold the Delet key down until you get the BIOS screen, or did
    you just "hit" it.

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 9, 2004

  3. jason.p

    Senti Guest

    jason.p did mumble ...

    > I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
    > boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD
    > Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Try hitting the key repeatedly as some motherboard manufacturers seem to
    think a billionth of a second warning is adequate. Your timing may just be
    off...

    Another possibility may be that your keyboard isn't recognized at that
    point. This is a problem with some (most/all??) non-PS/2 keyboards.

    --
    ~SF~
    123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
    Senti, Jan 9, 2004
  4. jason.p

    jason.p Guest

    I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do if the
    keyboard isn't recognised?

    jason.p, Jan 9, 2004
  5. jason.p

    ICee Guest

    jason.p wrote:
    > I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do
    > if the keyboard isn't recognised?

    Is it a known good keyboard? Is it a PS/2 keyboard attached to the
    system? Are you sure it's the Delete key for that BIOS? Some use the
    Insert key. Try the Escape key also if that doesn't work.

    > "Senti" <> wrote in message
    >> jason.p did mumble ...
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
    >>> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
    >>> AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> Try hitting the key repeatedly as some motherboard manufacturers
    >> seem to think a billionth of a second warning is adequate. Your
    >> timing may just be off...
    >>
    >> Another possibility may be that your keyboard isn't recognized at
    >> that point. This is a problem with some (most/all??) non-PS/2
    >> keyboards.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~SF~
    >> 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
    >> 123456789 12

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 9, 2004
  6. jason.p

    jason.p Guest

    Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.

    jason.p, Jan 9, 2004
  7. jason.p

    ICee Guest

    jason.p wrote:
    > Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.

    That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
    You're welcome.

    > "jason.p" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
    >> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
    >> AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >> Thanks in advance.

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 9, 2004
  8. jason.p

    fkasner Guest

    ICee wrote:

    > jason.p wrote:
    >
    >>Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.

    > That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
    > You're welcome.
    >

    >>"jason.p" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
    >>>boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
    >>>AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >>>Thanks in advance.

    I had that problem also. The changes occured too rapidly and there was
    no way to get it to stop on the BIOS. Since I make changes occassionally
    I just reset the startup to stop at the window that gives you the choice
    of a menu. That slows things down enough so you can get it to respond to
    the delete key while booting. I don't know why this change should do it,
    but then again I also get a chance to get into safe mode and then can
    run things such as scandisk without the incredible restart problem being
    a program breaker.
    FK
    fkasner, Jan 9, 2004
  9. jason.p

    Senti Guest

    ICee did mumble vJFLb.610$...

    > jason.p wrote:
    >> I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do
    >> if the keyboard isn't recognised?

    > Is it a known good keyboard? Is it a PS/2 keyboard attached to the
    > system? Are you sure it's the Delete key for that BIOS? Some use the
    > Insert key. Try the Escape key also if that doesn't work.

    Or possibly F2...
    --
    ~SF~
    Profanity is the crutch of a conversational cripple. -Jay Alexander
    Senti, Jan 10, 2004
  10. jason.p

    Senti Guest

    ICee did mumble %lGLb.627$...

    > jason.p wrote:
    >> Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your
    >> help.

    > That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
    > You're welcome.

    Not so odd with the computers today. If I enable the quick POST setting in
    my BIOS I have about a 2 second window to hit BIOS key. If I start hitting
    it early I have a much better chance of actually getting into my BIOS :)

    --
    ~SF~
    Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
    Senti, Jan 10, 2004
  11. jason.p

    ICee Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > ICee did mumble %lGLb.627$...
    >
    >> jason.p wrote:
    >>> Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your
    >>> help.

    >> That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
    >> You're welcome.

    > Not so odd with the computers today. If I enable the quick POST
    > setting in my BIOS I have about a 2 second window to hit BIOS key.
    > If I start hitting it early I have a much better chance of actually
    > getting into my BIOS :)

    Well, why don't you do what I do; just hold the Delete key down right
    after pressing the power button? You don't have to wait to press the
    key. Just hold it down till the BIOS comes up.

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 10, 2004
  12. jason.p

    Plato Guest

    jason.p wrote:

    > I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on boot-up,
    > but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD Athlon chip.

    Often you just have to keep on tapping it during post

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 10, 2004
  13. jason.p

    Senti Guest

    ICee did mumble 5JVLb.792$...

    > Senti wrote:
    >> ICee did mumble %lGLb.627$...

    >>> That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
    >>> You're welcome.

    >> Not so odd with the computers today. If I enable the quick POST
    >> setting in my BIOS I have about a 2 second window to hit BIOS key.
    >> If I start hitting it early I have a much better chance of actually
    >> getting into my BIOS :)

    > Well, why don't you do what I do; just hold the Delete key down right
    > after pressing the power button? You don't have to wait to press the
    > key. Just hold it down till the BIOS comes up.

    Buffer gets full of keystrokes and beeps indignantly!
    --
    ~SF~
    Sex between 2 people is a beautiful thing ; between 5 it's fantastic
    Senti, Jan 10, 2004
  14. jason.p

    ICee Guest

    Senti wrote:
    > ICee did mumble 5JVLb.792$...
    >
    >> Senti wrote:
    >>> ICee did mumble %lGLb.627$...

    >>> Not so odd with the computers today. If I enable the quick POST
    >>> setting in my BIOS I have about a 2 second window to hit BIOS key.
    >>> If I start hitting it early I have a much better chance of actually
    >>> getting into my BIOS :)

    >> Well, why don't you do what I do; just hold the Delete key down right
    >> after pressing the power button? You don't have to wait to press the
    >> key. Just hold it down till the BIOS comes up.

    > Buffer gets full of keystrokes and beeps indignantly!

    Ah...must be my MB doesn't do that (or the buffer is *real* big) :)
    I hadn't thought about that posibilty, though. Thanks for bringing it
    up.

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 10, 2004
  15. jason.p

    Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:33:35 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you
    wrote:

    >I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on boot-up,
    >but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD Athlon chip.
    >Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >Thanks in advance.

    Make sure the "number lock" is off...
    , Jan 11, 2004