CANT GET DUAL MONITORS TO WORK WITH NEW SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MDesigns, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. MDesigns

    MDesigns Guest

    I purchased a new system with the Intel 845gl chipset (Celeron
    2.7ghz), it came with a hard drive that had windows xp. I preferred
    to keep my old hard drive with win98se and the zillion programs
    installed, so I switched the hd's and downloaded all the drivers from
    Intel's site, so everything was working great. Then I tried to
    install my 2nd video card...

    The whole darned system won't work with it in (actually tried three
    different video cards, one brand new, the exact same problem with
    each). When it boots, I get the initial bios screen and then the
    windows 98 screen, *plus* on the 2nd screen the message "you have
    successfully initialized this display adapter blah blah blah" but then
    everything disappears.

    I checked the Intel site and it specifically says this chipset can
    handle dual monitors.

    One freaky thing that I noticed before I attempted all this: When I
    changed my resolution in display settings to a resolution other than
    800x600 or 1024x768, the display would come out at a 90 degree
    angle!!! (90 degrees counterclockwise) I thought it meant that I had
    the wrong drivers installed for the onboard video, but I doubled
    checked and it's exactly correct according to Intel.

    Any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated.
    MDesigns, Jan 6, 2004

  2. MDesigns

    Night_Seer Guest

    MDesigns wrote:
    > I purchased a new system with the Intel 845gl chipset (Celeron
    > 2.7ghz), it came with a hard drive that had windows xp. I preferred
    > to keep my old hard drive with win98se and the zillion programs
    > installed, so I switched the hd's and downloaded all the drivers from
    > Intel's site, so everything was working great. Then I tried to
    > install my 2nd video card...
    >
    > The whole darned system won't work with it in (actually tried three
    > different video cards, one brand new, the exact same problem with
    > each). When it boots, I get the initial bios screen and then the
    > windows 98 screen, *plus* on the 2nd screen the message "you have
    > successfully initialized this display adapter blah blah blah" but then
    > everything disappears.
    >
    > I checked the Intel site and it specifically says this chipset can
    > handle dual monitors.
    >
    > One freaky thing that I noticed before I attempted all this: When I
    > changed my resolution in display settings to a resolution other than
    > 800x600 or 1024x768, the display would come out at a 90 degree
    > angle!!! (90 degrees counterclockwise) I thought it meant that I had
    > the wrong drivers installed for the onboard video, but I doubled
    > checked and it's exactly correct according to Intel.
    >
    > Any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

    Try starting in safe mode and see if you get it going from
    there...this will revert you to the most basic display setting that are
    supposed to work no matter what.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004

  3. MDesigns

    MDesigns Guest

    well I figured it out. My bios default was set to pci, so I had to
    change it to "onboard." even said that on the intel page that said it
    can handle dual monitors....*d'oh*...

    MDesigns, Jan 6, 2004
  4. MDesigns

    Night_Seer Guest

    MDesigns wrote:
    > well I figured it out. My bios default was set to pci, so I had to
    > change it to "onboard." even said that on the intel page that said it
    > can handle dual monitors....*d'oh*...
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> MDesigns wrote:
    >>> I purchased a new system with the Intel 845gl chipset (Celeron
    >>> 2.7ghz), it came with a hard drive that had windows xp. I preferred
    >>> to keep my old hard drive with win98se and the zillion programs
    >>> installed, so I switched the hd's and downloaded all the drivers
    >>> from Intel's site, so everything was working great. Then I tried to
    >>> install my 2nd video card...
    >>>
    >>> The whole darned system won't work with it in (actually tried three
    >>> different video cards, one brand new, the exact same problem with
    >>> each). When it boots, I get the initial bios screen and then the
    >>> windows 98 screen, *plus* on the 2nd screen the message "you have
    >>> successfully initialized this display adapter blah blah blah" but
    >>> then everything disappears.
    >>>
    >>> I checked the Intel site and it specifically says this chipset can
    >>> handle dual monitors.
    >>>
    >>> One freaky thing that I noticed before I attempted all this: When I
    >>> changed my resolution in display settings to a resolution other than
    >>> 800x600 or 1024x768, the display would come out at a 90 degree
    >>> angle!!! (90 degrees counterclockwise) I thought it meant that I
    >>> had the wrong drivers installed for the onboard video, but I doubled
    >>> checked and it's exactly correct according to Intel.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

    >> Try starting in safe mode and see if you get it going from
    >> there...this will revert you to the most basic display setting that
    >> are supposed to work no matter what.

    Well good for you...have a great day.

    --
    Night_Seer