Can't get drivers to load Canon A40

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. M

    M Guest

    I have gotten myself into a fine mess. I purchased a Canon PowerShot
    A40. It is a great camera for what I need. I then tried to load the
    software onto my computer. This is where I made some mistakes. The
    first mistake was that I rarely use the docking station and did not
    realize that my spouce plugged the computer and printer into the
    docking station. I, anxious to download the pixs, insert the CD and
    then camera into the computer. What I failed to notice at first was
    that I essentially plugged two devices (the printer and camera) into
    the same USB port. The printer (already functioning fine) hooked
    through the docking station and the camera directly into the port on
    the side of the computer.

    I do not understand enough about my laptop but I think either I
    confused the computer or it just did not locate my camera and during
    the first installation process. Without 'seeing' the camera the
    software now will not load the drivers. At any rate I have tried a
    number of tests to try to get it to work:

    1. I uninstalled the printer software
    2. I have not used the docking station since
    3. I reinstalled the software numerous times -- now just tried the
    Twain32
    4. I was told that maybe because I had installed (through the side of
    the computer) a USB scanner that the port was therefore 'clamed' by
    the scanner. So, I made sure that the scanner software was shut down
    (out of the tray and all).
    5. I took my camera to my parent's home (since they have the same
    camera/software/scanner/etc). There software by the way loaded fine.
    I could download to thier computer without any problems.
    6. Out of curiousity I plugged the scanner in and it worked fine.
    7. I tried installing using the other port -- even worse.
    8. I did a scan disk and defrag to remove any parts of the
    install/uninstall tries.

    Currently, my computer has the same responses. All the extra software
    loads fine. It seems to function okay -- except when I try to import.
    Then it looks for the camera. Then if the camera is on I get
    drop-down windows to choose the USB and the camera -- I choose those
    only options and nothing happens. If the camera is off then the
    options are blank. It appears to me that the drivers are just not
    installing correctly. I have consulted the help book. It just states
    (as well as the software) that once the setup is done the screen will
    tell you when to plug in and turn on the camera. The problem is that
    I end the setup and nothing happens. IT HAS NEVER ASKED ME TO PLUG IN
    OR TURN ON THE CAMERA. Please help!

    M, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Juan R. Pollo, Sep 2, 2003

  3. M

    Roving bum Guest

    A Canon A40 docking station? Didn't know there was such a thing. You'll need
    to supply more information like the model number of this 'docking station' &
    what type of laptop you're running. There's no possible way to plug two USB
    devices into one port. A hub allows use of many USB devices at one time
    though, no problems normally. You got me stumped!

    Roving bum, Sep 2, 2003

    &
    > what type of laptop you're running. There's no possible way to plug two

    USB
    > devices into one port. A hub allows use of many USB devices at one time
    > though, no problems normally. You got me stumped!

    LMAO. this is the same thing i thought. i used my a40 to death, no docking
    station.
    no wonder why he cant get it to work, he is trying to use it with a kodak
    easyshare docking station!
    har har.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 3, 2003
  5. I think he meant his laptop docking station, guys.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Sep 3, 2003