Cant get CD writer ro work

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nikki, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Nikki

    Nikki Guest

    I seem to have a mental block when it comes to Hardware and hope someone
    could help.

    I have a PC with Windows98SE and a CD Writer. It meets all my
    requirements apart fom the fact I cannot get the CD Writer to work
    anymore. The device (from System Properties) is a MATSHITA CD-RW CW-7586

    (I await the flames for the MAT-SHIT-A)

    I am using the software BurnatOnce (http://www.burnatonce.com/). When I
    got the last CD to write it took a few tries and then it worked. My main
    issue is I get the error "Device is not ready". I have got this error in
    NERO also so believe it is a device issue until it times out.

    I can read from a CD in the drive so I know the PC can access it.

    How shold I troubleshoot this problem.

    GJ

    Nikki, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Nikki

    RdM Guest

    :
[...]

    First, Google can be your friend;- just searching "CW-7586" gets some useful
    info in the first few hits. Feurio has it as an 8x CDR, 6x CDRW burner that
    will burn 80 min disks (but may need a firmware upgrade*) but not 90 mins.

    *A few hits down the Google results there are links to firmware upgrades too.
    I would read up on them, and how to do them, **very carefully**, before
    attempting to do one, *if* you come to the conclusion you need to, on study.

    I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.

    One of the noticeable things with mine is that it will not read even 80 min
    discs let alone 90 and certainly won't write to them - putting in such a disc
    will generate a "Device not ready" message. You don't say what media you used,
    but there seems to me a good chance that they might be incompatible ...

    Also, I've had to do quite a bit of research through the Nero help files (and
    am glad I downloaded all their "error messages" detailed web pages earlier,
    because all I can find now online are rather simplified FAQ's - and have
    become aware of the problems that can be created by lingering drivers from
    other, previous burning software installations - not only Adaptec's, but also
    the burning compnents of Window Media Player 9, if it was installed... and
    other finicky details ... like Nero doesn't work well with my faster Intel PC,
    and its "Application Accelerator" motherboard software, etc etc.

    I only mention all this because it has become apparent to me that it can be
    hard to get older burners working, particularly since it is hard to find older
    blank CDR's that are geared for slower machines ... I notice Jaycar have some.

    Actually, now looking at your BurnatOnce link, perhaps I might give it a go.

    Anyway, I'd suggest only trying out one type of burning software at a time,
    removing any others, and studying up, if possible, on what drivers they have
    left behind, and if necessary removing them by hand (typically according to
    Nero various .VXD files are left in the /WINDOWS/SYSTEM/IOSUBSYS dir) or
    rather renaming them... hopefully it won't get that complicated for you! :=})

    Possibly the latest bargain blanks you bought are too "fast" for the drive -
    the "tracks" are finer on the latest CDR's for fast burners, and the old
    drives just can't read them. If so, look out for 80 min or even 74 min media.

    Hope that helps a little ... maybe others have more experience with the
    software, and/or even the ahem Matushita (Panasonic) CW-7586 ...

    It might help to post what the PC (hardware) is that all this is in, too.
    Not that I can guarantee to be of much more help ;-)

    RdM
    <off to look at burnatonce>

    RdM, Jun 10, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    says...

    > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.

    Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Nikki

    Rider Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the

    last
    > > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn

    with 98SE
    > > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min

    disks.

    > Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69

    Old junk? In another thread you are moaning about the speed of a Cel 500
    LoL

    Rider, Jun 10, 2004
  5. In article <caahbu$i6k$>,
    says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > > > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the

    > last
    > > > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn

    > with 98SE
    > > > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min

    > disks.
    > >
    > > Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69
    > >

    > Old junk? In another thread you are moaning about the speed of a Cel 500
    > LoL

    That computer is just one I have to work with, it isn't mine.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Nikki

    RdM Guest

    And your refrain, Patrick Dunford, was expressed thusly, in true camel livery:

    : In article <>,
    : says...
    :
    : > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    : > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    : > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.
    :
    : Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69

    Simple:

    I can't afford it.

    RdM, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Nikki

    RdM Guest

    Patrick Dunford regrained:

    : In article <>,
    : says...
    :
    : > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    : > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    : > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.
    :
    : Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69

    O well, it was a gift;- it is still also my only CDR burner; it has worked
    before, for me,- in fact I was advised in earlier troubles that it had worked
    with a 486 - and these are just new problems, associated with new hardware and
    installed software;- so it's actually been an extremely inteeresting learning
    curve for me;- and I just happened to have sat down with a porter and been
    feeling giving and expansive at the time I attempted to catch up with the news

    I find the intellectual and emotional - patient application in frustration -
    challenges enlivening and rewarding enough in the end - and it is all I have.

    How big is the eye in your needle?

    RdM, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Nikki

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > And your refrain, Patrick Dunford, was expressed thusly, in true camel livery:
    >
    > : In article <>,
    > : says...
    > :
    > : > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    > : > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    > : > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.
    > :
    > : Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69
    >
    > Simple:
    >
    > I can't afford it.

    How much of your own time have you wasted already ? How much do you
    value your time in $/hour ?

    a, Jun 11, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford regrained:
    >
    > : In article <>,
    > : says...
    > :
    > : > I'm only sympathising here because I have spent hours recently over the last
    > : > few days and earlier struggling to get an old 2x Wearnes 622 to burn with 98SE
    > : > and Nero ... it's still burning coasters even on standard 650MB 74 min disks.
    > :
    > : Why waste time with old junk when you can get a new drive for $69
    >
    > O well, it was a gift;- it is still also my only CDR burner; it has worked
    > before, for me,- in fact I was advised in earlier troubles that it had worked
    > with a 486 - and these are just new problems, associated with new hardware and
    > installed software;- so it's actually been an extremely inteeresting learning
    > curve for me;- and I just happened to have sat down with a porter and been
    > feeling giving and expansive at the time I attempted to catch up with the news
    >
    > I find the intellectual and emotional - patient application in frustration -
    > challenges enlivening and rewarding enough in the end - and it is all I have.
    >
    > How big is the eye in your needle?

    Whatever you say, I have a limited budget, but I have only so much
    patience. My burner is sitting in a pentium 133 running Linux. So the
    computer that it sits in cost me nothing, so in the end to set up a CD
    burning capability cost me all of $69, including the computer it sits in.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 11, 2004