Cant get address from ISPs DHCP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by J.S., Sep 9, 2004.

  1. J.S.

    J.S. Guest

    Hi

    I've got a big problem. I have a Cisco 806 SOHO router, and I'm using it
    as an Internet gateway, or I will be when I get this one solved :)

    The problem is that the router is not getting any addresses from my ISPs
    DHCP.
    If I plug my computer directly into the ADSL modem, the computer gets
    and address and everything works.

    The router has been doing this before, but that was before I moved, and
    the ISP gave me another modem this time :(

    Anyway, I've tried another router and it got the addresses fine, so
    there is no MAC address dependency of any kind.

    I looked the problem up and found out that Cisco IOS had a bug with a
    modern option of the DHCP protocol, called "Option 60", it did'nt
    support it, and would result in the router not getting what it should.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10612620~mode=flat

    Anyway, the problem should be solved with a newer version of the IOS,
    the IOS 12.2(24) works in the above link.

    So I got a newer IOS, but it did'nt solve anything, I'm now using
    (C806-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(4)T1.

    (Also, the option 60 shouldnt be the problem since the router used the
    ISPs DHCP server before, with another modem)

    I'm just using the "ip address dhcp" command on the WAN interface.


    Does anybody have any suggestions, to what I'm missing here ?
     
    J.S., Sep 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. J.S.

    Scooby Guest

    "J.S." <> wrote in message
    news:4140753e$0$306$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a big problem. I have a Cisco 806 SOHO router, and I'm using it
    > as an Internet gateway, or I will be when I get this one solved :)
    >
    > The problem is that the router is not getting any addresses from my ISPs
    > DHCP.
    > If I plug my computer directly into the ADSL modem, the computer gets
    > and address and everything works.
    >
    > The router has been doing this before, but that was before I moved, and
    > the ISP gave me another modem this time :(
    >
    > Anyway, I've tried another router and it got the addresses fine, so
    > there is no MAC address dependency of any kind.
    >
    > I looked the problem up and found out that Cisco IOS had a bug with a
    > modern option of the DHCP protocol, called "Option 60", it did'nt
    > support it, and would result in the router not getting what it should.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10612620~mode=flat
    >
    > Anyway, the problem should be solved with a newer version of the IOS,
    > the IOS 12.2(24) works in the above link.
    >
    > So I got a newer IOS, but it did'nt solve anything, I'm now using
    > (C806-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(4)T1.
    >
    > (Also, the option 60 shouldnt be the problem since the router used the
    > ISPs DHCP server before, with another modem)
    >
    > I'm just using the "ip address dhcp" command on the WAN interface.
    >
    >
    > Does anybody have any suggestions, to what I'm missing here ?


    A possible reason is that your ISP is just offering one address. Meaning
    that it has given you one address, specific to the mac on your pc. When you
    put in the device, it says "Sorry, you've already used up your one address".
    Putting the pc back, it recognizes the mac and all is well. If that is the
    case, resetting the dsl modem may help. If not, try calling your isp and
    let them know you what you are doing and see if they can reset your address.
    Worst case, see what the lease period is on your pc and then just leave it
    unplugged for that period of time - a pain, but a good way to be sure that
    an address is available.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim
     
    Scooby, Sep 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <4R30d.14433$>,
    "Scooby" <> wrote:

    > A possible reason is that your ISP is just offering one address. Meaning
    > that it has given you one address, specific to the mac on your pc. When you
    > put in the device, it says "Sorry, you've already used up your one address".
    > Putting the pc back, it recognizes the mac and all is well. If that is the
    > case, resetting the dsl modem may help. If not, try calling your isp and
    > let them know you what you are doing and see if they can reset your address.
    > Worst case, see what the lease period is on your pc and then just leave it
    > unplugged for that period of time - a pain, but a good way to be sure that
    > an address is available.


    I don't know offhand if the Cisco 806 offers it, but another solution
    that many broadband routers support is MAC Address Cloning. You
    configure the WAN interface of the router to use the same MAC address as
    the original client PC.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
     
    Barry Margolin, Sep 10, 2004
    #3
  4. J.S.

    J.S. Guest

    J.S. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a big problem. I have a Cisco 806 SOHO router, and I'm using it
    > as an Internet gateway, or I will be when I get this one solved :)
    >
    > The problem is that the router is not getting any addresses from my ISPs
    > DHCP.
    > If I plug my computer directly into the ADSL modem, the computer gets
    > and address and everything works.
    >
    > The router has been doing this before, but that was before I moved, and
    > the ISP gave me another modem this time :(
    >
    > Anyway, I've tried another router and it got the addresses fine, so
    > there is no MAC address dependency of any kind.
    >
    > I looked the problem up and found out that Cisco IOS had a bug with a
    > modern option of the DHCP protocol, called "Option 60", it did'nt
    > support it, and would result in the router not getting what it should.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10612620~mode=flat
    >
    > Anyway, the problem should be solved with a newer version of the IOS,
    > the IOS 12.2(24) works in the above link.
    >
    > So I got a newer IOS, but it did'nt solve anything, I'm now using
    > (C806-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(4)T1.
    >
    > (Also, the option 60 shouldnt be the problem since the router used the
    > ISPs DHCP server before, with another modem)
    >
    > I'm just using the "ip address dhcp" command on the WAN interface.
    >
    >
    > Does anybody have any suggestions, to what I'm missing here ?


    Hi everyone, I still have this question, since I'm not getting any help,
    maybe someone would be kind enough to give me an idea where to ask a
    question like this ?
     
    J.S., Sep 21, 2004
    #4
  5. J.S.

    J.S. Guest

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article <4R30d.14433$>,
    > "Scooby" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>A possible reason is that your ISP is just offering one address. Meaning
    >>that it has given you one address, specific to the mac on your pc. When you
    >>put in the device, it says "Sorry, you've already used up your one address".
    >>Putting the pc back, it recognizes the mac and all is well. If that is the
    >>case, resetting the dsl modem may help. If not, try calling your isp and
    >>let them know you what you are doing and see if they can reset your address.
    >>Worst case, see what the lease period is on your pc and then just leave it
    >>unplugged for that period of time - a pain, but a good way to be sure that
    >>an address is available.

    >
    >
    > I don't know offhand if the Cisco 806 offers it, but another solution
    > that many broadband routers support is MAC Address Cloning. You
    > configure the WAN interface of the router to use the same MAC address as
    > the original client PC.
    >


    Hi Barry, thanks for the tip, but I've already tried this, setting the
    MAC address to the exact MAC of my computer, still the problem :(
     
    J.S., Sep 21, 2004
    #5
  6. J.S.

    J.S. Guest

    Scooby wrote:

    > "J.S." <> wrote in message
    > news:4140753e$0$306$...
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I've got a big problem. I have a Cisco 806 SOHO router, and I'm using it
    >>as an Internet gateway, or I will be when I get this one solved :)
    >>
    >>The problem is that the router is not getting any addresses from my ISPs
    >>DHCP.
    >>If I plug my computer directly into the ADSL modem, the computer gets
    >>and address and everything works.
    >>
    >>The router has been doing this before, but that was before I moved, and
    >>the ISP gave me another modem this time :(
    >>
    >>Anyway, I've tried another router and it got the addresses fine, so
    >>there is no MAC address dependency of any kind.
    >>
    >>I looked the problem up and found out that Cisco IOS had a bug with a
    >>modern option of the DHCP protocol, called "Option 60", it did'nt
    >>support it, and would result in the router not getting what it should.
    >>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10612620~mode=flat
    >>
    >>Anyway, the problem should be solved with a newer version of the IOS,
    >>the IOS 12.2(24) works in the above link.
    >>
    >>So I got a newer IOS, but it did'nt solve anything, I'm now using
    >>(C806-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(4)T1.
    >>
    >>(Also, the option 60 shouldnt be the problem since the router used the
    >>ISPs DHCP server before, with another modem)
    >>
    >>I'm just using the "ip address dhcp" command on the WAN interface.
    >>
    >>
    >>Does anybody have any suggestions, to what I'm missing here ?

    >
    >
    > A possible reason is that your ISP is just offering one address. Meaning
    > that it has given you one address, specific to the mac on your pc. When you
    > put in the device, it says "Sorry, you've already used up your one address".
    > Putting the pc back, it recognizes the mac and all is well. If that is the
    > case, resetting the dsl modem may help. If not, try calling your isp and
    > let them know you what you are doing and see if they can reset your address.
    > Worst case, see what the lease period is on your pc and then just leave it
    > unplugged for that period of time - a pain, but a good way to be sure that
    > an address is available.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Hi Jim, and thanks for the tip, but I've already tried doing this. I
    tried another router, plugged it right in and it was working fine,
    plugged the computer back in, and that also worked fine.

    Will try to contact my ISP on the issue.
     
    J.S., Sep 21, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lee
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    7,207
  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

    Cant get router (DHCP) to allocate ip

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=, Jun 20, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    7,119
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=
    Dec 28, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGVpbkQ=?=

    Wireless DHCP clients cannot obtain an IP address from the DHCP se

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVpbkQ=?=, Jan 8, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,882
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVpbkQ=?=
    Jan 8, 2006
  4. Corey Arndt

    Unable to get DHCP Address from Server behind Access Point

    Corey Arndt, Mar 2, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,314
  5. unclejesse01

    man i cant belive i cant get help please

    unclejesse01, Apr 9, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    408
    Bill Vermillion
    Apr 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page