Can't format drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Marc, May 15, 2005.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dell PII, 500
    384 Mb ram

    All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k

    - Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
    HSFS?? partition

    - Can't delete non-DOS partition/format

    - Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working except
    maybe a bit fast.

    - Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was partitioned
    (full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.

    - Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
    partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
    MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
    again.

    - Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.

    - Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.

    - Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data shredding
    standards. No go.

    - All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.

    - Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.

    - Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.

    - Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.

    Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?
    Marc, May 15, 2005

  2. Marc

    x@y Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote in message

    > Dell PII, 500
    > 384 Mb ram
    >
    > All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k
    >

    > - Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
    > HSFS?? partition
    >
    > - Can't delete non-DOS partition/format
    >
    > - Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working
    > except maybe a bit fast.
    >
    > - Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was
    > partitioned (full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.
    >
    > - Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
    > partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
    > MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
    > again.
    >
    > - Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.
    >
    > - Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.
    >
    > - Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data
    > shredding standards. No go.
    >
    > - All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.
    >
    > - Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.
    >
    > - Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.
    >
    > - Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.
    >

    > Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?

    Hi Marc,

    Here are some ideas from Google:

    http://tinyurl.com/aagu6

    Good Luck x@y.
    x@y, May 15, 2005

  3. Marc

    Taur Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > Dell PII, 500
    > 384 Mb ram
    >
    > All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k
    >

    > - Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
    > HSFS?? partition
    >
    > - Can't delete non-DOS partition/format
    >
    > - Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working

    except
    > maybe a bit fast.
    >
    > - Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was

    partitioned
    > (full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.
    >
    > - Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
    > partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
    > MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
    > again.
    >
    > - Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.
    >
    > - Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.
    >
    > - Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data

    shredding
    > standards. No go.
    >
    > - All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.
    >
    > - Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.
    >
    > - Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.
    >
    > - Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.
    >

    > Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?

    Use aefdisk or super fdisk, non regisered versions will partition your
    drive to full capacity.
    Taur, May 15, 2005