    Drive about to quit, or...?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Mar 15, 2009

  2. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP on 4 yr old Dell.
    >
    > Getting an error msg each time I turn on PC that is white text on the black
    > screen.
    >
    > Says it cannot find Drive 1, and references some SATA drive.
    >
    > Then, "Press F1 to continue, or F2 for Setup."
    >
    > If I press F1, everything from then on is totally normal.
    >
    > What's happening, please ?
    > Drive about to quit, or...?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Sounds like your CMOS battery isnt holding the drive configuration info
    in the BIOS because its DEAD, JIM!

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 15, 2009

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP on 4 yr old Dell.
    >
    > Getting an error msg each time I turn on PC that is white text on the
    > black screen.
    >
    > Says it cannot find Drive 1, and references some SATA drive.
    >
    > Then, "Press F1 to continue, or F2 for Setup."

    You are seeing a bios message here. Often, the first (boot) drive is
    referenced as drive 0, so question: do you have a 2nd drive? (You didn't
    tell here ...)

    > If I press F1, everything from then on is totally normal.

    Another question: date and time are correct? If not, that may indicate a bad
    cmos battery.

    > What's happening, please ?

    Possibly bios has been reset to default one day, with drive detection set
    to "auto" and now unnecessarily searching for "drive 1".

    > Drive about to quit, or...?

    You should run some s.m.a.r.t viewer or the harddrive diagnosis tool
    provided on the webpage of your harddrive manufacturer. A good set of
    backups rulez everytime.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2009