    computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    --
    Christopher Ayers

    kris a, Jun 3, 2005

  2. kris a

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <> wrote:

    >I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
    >computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller ribbon loose
    from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in. Then reboot and see if
    the drive is recognised. (And if the light goes out unless the drive is
    accessing an actual disk.)

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jun 3, 2005

  3. kris a

    Jimbo Guest

    Quite often, it is on the front just below the cd/dvd drive...
    If you still can't find it, get back to us and I'll lend you my spectacles.

    Jimbo, Jun 3, 2005
  4. kris a

    clot Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
    >> computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    > If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
    > ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
    > Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
    > goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

    You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    clot, Jun 3, 2005
  5. clot wrote:

    > Mara wrote:

    >> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <> wrote:

    >>> I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
    >>> computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    >> If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
    >> ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
    >> Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
    >> goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

    > You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    Same here. Those were the days. :)

    Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon? :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 4, 2005
  6. kris a

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > clot wrote:
    >

    >>Mara wrote:

    >>>If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
    >>>ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
    >>>Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
    >>>goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

    >> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    > Same here. Those were the days. :)
    >
    > Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon? :)

    Well...most of the time, the red striping indicates the
    location for the No. 1 pin in the header. Usually, it is
    also the side of the header nearest the power plug on the
    drive. Yup...those were the good old days.

    Mistoffolees, Jun 4, 2005
  7. kris a

    old jon Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > clot wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
    >>> ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
    >>> Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
    >>> goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

    >> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    > Same here. Those were the days. :)
    >
    > Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon? :)

    And the twist in the ribbon cable to the end plug. Oh those were the days..

    old jon, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > clot wrote:
    >

    >>Mara wrote:

    >>>If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
    >>>ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
    >>>Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
    >>>goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

    >> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    > Same here. Those were the days. :)
    >
    > Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon? :)

    What, the one that marks pin 1?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 4, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 4, 2005
  10. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> clot wrote:

    >>> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

    >> Same here. Those were the days. :)

    >> Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon? :)

    > What, the one that marks pin 1?

    That one. I've also seen ribbons where it's got little hash marks
    across the #1 conductor, rather than it being red or pinkish.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 4, 2005
  11. kris a

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <> wrote:

    >I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
    >computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    The light for the A: drive is in the A: drive, so you have found the A: drive.

    >--
    >Christopher Ayers

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 5, 2005
  12. kris a

    kris a Guest

    I know where the A: drive physically is but its not showing up on my
    operating system?

    kris a, Jun 6, 2005
  13. kris a

    Gort Guest

    kris a wrote:
    > I know where the A: drive physically is but its not showing up on my
    > operating system?
    >

    > "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
    >>>computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

    >>The light for the A: drive is in the A: drive, so you have found the A:
    >>drive.
    >>

    >>>--
    >>>Christopher Ayers
    >>>

    >>Barry
    >>=====
    >>Home page
    >>http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Many A: drives do not have a cable "key" at the drive, although most
    motherboards do have one.
    If the light stays on constantly it's possible that the data cable is
    plugged in incorrectly. Try removing one end, turning that upside down,
    and plugging it back in.

    Normally the red striped wire goes toward the power plug.
    Be sure the power is off, and follow correct grounding procedures when
    doing this.
    HTH

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

    Gort, Jun 7, 2005
  14. kris a

    p.c. guy Guest

    Please replace the phrase "possible that" in the reply to the word
    "because." Switch the cable at the floppy end. This is a very common
    problem when a floppy drive is first installed or changed. Note that
    on many floppy drives, it appears that the cable should go in 180
    degress opposite from what it actully should go.

    I have no idea why they make them that way, but it is confusing to
    look at.

    p.c. guy, Jun 8, 2005