can't figure this one out...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    hi,

    more and more i keep getting this bastard...

    "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

    if i click on IE tools, i get it. if i try to RUN something, i get it. i
    tried to open up adobe photoshop and i got it! it's way out of control now.
    what can i do?

    it started happening about a week ago. but it seems to be spreading. i even
    tried the old standby MS-DOS scanreg/restore and it's still there (but i
    could only go back 3 days).

    anyway, please help if you can.

    thank you,

    mike
    mike, Dec 19, 2004

  2. mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    | hi,
    |
    | more and more i keep getting this bastard...
    |
    | "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
    |
    | If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."
    |
    | if i click on IE tools, i get it. if i try to RUN something, i get it. i
    | tried to open up adobe photoshop and i got it! it's way out of control
    now.
    | what can i do?
    |
    | it started happening about a week ago. but it seems to be spreading. i
    even
    | tried the old standby MS-DOS scanreg/restore and it's still there (but i
    | could only go back 3 days).
    |
    | anyway, please help if you can.

    Gee, someone forget to post what the OS is? And maybe some more pertinent
    info? Like what the REST of the error message might be telling you? (Of
    course, some of them *don't* tell you what program is misbehaving...)
    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2004

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    oops. WIN98 with a verizon dsl connection that is usually connects at
    11-1300 kbits. today it is 300-500. this could be a different system.

    there is no more to the error message than what i transcribed. sorry for the
    omissions.

    mike

    mike, Dec 19, 2004
  4. mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Do you have the OS installation CD? If you do, then try this from a DOS
    prompt:

    SFC /SCANNOW

    That is the "System File Checker" and it compares the files on your computer
    to the original files.

    Getting to a DOS prompt in W98 is easy. Here's two ways:
    1) when the computer is booting, get on the F8 key right after the POST /
    memory test. It should bring up a boot menu. #6 is usually the DOS mode
    command prompt.
    2) When you click start/shut down, there is an option on the menu to restart
    in DOS mode. That's not a "clean boot" but is okay for what I suggested
    above.

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    | oops. WIN98 with a verizon dsl connection that is usually connects at
    | 11-1300 kbits. today it is 300-500. this could be a different system.
    |
    | there is no more to the error message than what i transcribed. sorry for
    the
    | omissions.
    |
    | mike
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "mike" <> wrote in message
    | > | hi,
    | > |
    | > | more and more i keep getting this bastard...
    | > |
    | > | "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
    down.
    | > |
    | > | If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."
    | > |
    | > | if i click on IE tools, i get it. if i try to RUN something, i get
    it.
    | > | tried to open up adobe photoshop and i got it! it's way out of control
    | > now.
    | > | what can i do?
    | > |
    | > | it started happening about a week ago. but it seems to be spreading. i
    | > even
    | > | tried the old standby MS-DOS scanreg/restore and it's still there (but
    | > | could only go back 3 days).
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2004
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    i think i'm screwed. no disk.

    mike, Dec 19, 2004
  6. mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - look at this location and see if there are a lot of .cab files:
    c:\windows\options\cabs
    If so, those are the original system files. Maybe the SFC can be told to
    find them there. I'd run it and see, and if it suggests replacing a file, it
    might give you an option to look in that location for the file.

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    |i think i'm screwed. no disk.
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Do you have the OS installation CD? If you do, then try this from a DOS
    | > prompt:
    | >
    | > SFC /SCANNOW
    | >
    | > That is the "System File Checker" and it compares the files on your
    | computer
    | > to the original files.
    | >
    | > Getting to a DOS prompt in W98 is easy. Here's two ways:
    | > 1) when the computer is booting, get on the F8 key right after the POST
    /
    | > memory test. It should bring up a boot menu. #6 is usually the DOS mode
    | > command prompt.
    | > 2) When you click start/shut down, there is an option on the menu to
    | restart
    | > in DOS mode. That's not a "clean boot" but is okay for what I suggested
    | > above.
    | >

    | > "mike" <> wrote in message
    | > | oops. WIN98 with a verizon dsl connection that is usually connects at
    | > | 11-1300 kbits. today it is 300-500. this could be a different system.
    | > |
    | > | there is no more to the error message than what i transcribed. sorry
    for
    | > the
    | > | omissions.
    | > |
    | > | mike
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > down.
    | > | > |
    | > it.
    | control
    | > | > |
    | (but
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > pertinent
    | (Of

    | > |
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2004
  7. In article <Jp7xd.133$> mike
    <> wrote:

    >oops. WIN98 with a verizon dsl connection that is usually connects at
    >11-1300 kbits. today it is 300-500. this could be a different system.
    >
    >there is no m<FLUSH>

    Sorry for the error.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Stop using my name, lady chatterly! Or else!" -- W Monk
    Lady Chatterly, Dec 19, 2004
  8. mike

    Richard Guest

    mike wrote:

    > hi,

    > more and more i keep getting this bastard...

    > "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    > If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

    > if i click on IE tools, i get it. if i try to RUN something, i get it. i
    > tried to open up adobe photoshop and i got it! it's way out of control
    > now. what can i do?

    > it started happening about a week ago. but it seems to be spreading. i
    > even tried the old standby MS-DOS scanreg/restore and it's still there
    > (but i could only go back 3 days).

    > anyway, please help if you can.

    > thank you,

    > mike

    Maintenance clean up time.
    Empty all tmp files. Clean out your internet cache files.
    Even go through OE newsgroups and reset all the groups.
    You might also change your settings for newsgroups so that OE does not store
    the body messages.
    Saves a ton of space.

    Run scandisk then run defrag.
    Then reboot and see what happens.

    Also, go into msconfig startup tab and uncheck and unneccasary items.
    ctrl+alt+del and end task those annoying things like msnapp and msupdater
    thing.

    Also, do the spyware search and destroy routine.
    Richard, Dec 19, 2004
  9. In article <da7xd.127$> mike
    <> wrote:

    >>>"this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    >>If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

    >if i click on IE tools, i get it. if i try to RUN something, i get it. i
    >tried to open up adobe photoshop and i got it! it's way out of control now.
    >what can i do?

    You are karl rove, are not you going to vote.

    >it started happening about a week ago. but it seems to be spreading. i even
    >tried the old standby MS-DOS scanreg/restore and it's still there (but i
    >could only go back 3 days).

    >anyway, please help if you can.

    I am shing my pants here.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "I wish Lady Chatterly were back. "She" makes sense compared to you."
    -- Peter Thomas
    Lady Chatterly, Dec 19, 2004
  10. mike

    mike Guest

    what's lady chatterly smoking?

    mike, Dec 19, 2004
  11. mike wrote:
    > what's lady chatterly smoking?

    You should learn to use a kill-file. And theoretically, it's a bot.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 19, 2004
  12. mike

    WormWood Guest

    The Lady C. is flirting with you, wants to be your best girl. As to your
    problem, I go along with shutting down all the memory hogs you don't
    need.

    WormWood, Dec 19, 2004
  13. mike

    Jock Strap Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Gee, someone forget to post what the OS is? And maybe some more
    > pertinent info? Like what the REST of the error message might be
    > telling you? (Of course, some of them *don't* tell you what program
    > is misbehaving...)

    I love that last sentence... in one breath you abuse him for not posting
    the "REST" of the error message; then you admit that not all apps do so.
    Fucking psycho.
    Jock Strap, Dec 19, 2004
  14. mike

    Noel Paton Guest

    SFC in win98 doesn't have the /scannow switch - and doesn't refer back to
    the installation media in the same way as the one in XP.

    Run SFC from Start|Run, and see what it reports, first - make a note of any
    programs it finds, and the message (I can't remember whether it produces a
    log), and post back

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 19, 2004
  15. mike

    Plato Guest

    mike wrote:

    > "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

    For years I was getting that on a win98 system and turned out to be a
    very small calendar program running in the background. I guess my point
    is that it's often due to a conflict with another app, especially one
    that also phones home on a regular basis. I didnt even know my wifes
    calendar program phoned home till I put zone alarm on.
    Plato, Dec 20, 2004
  16. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:12:17 +1100, "Jock Strap" <>
    wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Gee, someone forget to post what the OS is? And maybe some more
    >> pertinent info? Like what the REST of the error message might be
    >> telling you? (Of course, some of them *don't* tell you what program
    >> is misbehaving...)

    >I love that last sentence... in one breath you abuse him for not posting
    >the "REST" of the error message; then you admit that not all apps do so.
    >Fucking psycho.

    Makes perfect sense to me, maybe your strap is much too tight, Jock
    Lurk re_relurking, Dec 20, 2004
  17. mike

    Jock Strap Guest

    Lurk re_relurking wrote:

    > Makes perfect sense to me, maybe your strap is much too tight, Jock

    Yeah, my balls are too sore. :(
    Jock Strap, Dec 20, 2004