    The focus problems they're having with the E-5 would seem to suggest
    dumping the phase focus method altogether.

    http://www.43rumors.com/oh-yes-olympus-is-working-on-a-tranlsucent-camera-see-the-patent/
    RichA, Feb 25, 2011

  2. RichA

    charles Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:04:10 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
    >mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
    >mirror assembly would. But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
    >route. Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?
    >The focus problems they're having with the E-5 would seem to suggest
    >dumping the phase focus method altogether.
    >
    >http://www.43rumors.com/oh-yes-olympus-is-working-on-a-tranlsucent-camera-see-the-patent/

    Why not ask them.
    charles, Feb 25, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
    >mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
    >mirror assembly would.
    >But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
    >route. Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?

    But that's *exactly* what Olympus is doing. Expect a high end Micro
    Four Thirds body with prosumer features and a new generation contrast
    detect AF system.

    Just don't expect it in 2011. One for next year.

    Patent chasing tends to mislead, because camera manufacturers pursue
    very many lines of research and development, some of which will never
    see the light of day in the marketplace.

    I wonder if the Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems, one of which will
    be announced fairly soon, will address the market for a high end body
    from the outset?
    Bruce, Feb 25, 2011
  4. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 25, 4:13 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
    > >mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
    > >mirror assembly would.
    > >But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
    > >route.  Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?

    > But that's *exactly* what Olympus is doing.  Expect a high end Micro
    > Four Thirds body with prosumer features and a new generation contrast
    > detect AF system.
    >
    > Just don't expect it in 2011.  One for next year.
    >
    > Patent chasing tends to mislead, because camera manufacturers pursue
    > very many lines of research and development, some of which will never
    > see the light of day in the marketplace.
    >
    > I wonder if the Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems, one of which will
    > be announced fairly soon, will address the market for a high end body
    > from the outset?

    Personally, I think losing light is enough reason to avoid the fixed
    mirror design, but if they've come up with a clever way to avoid that
    in some situations, then it might be ok. But the last thing you want
    to do with micro 4/3rds sensors is to lose light before it hits the
    sensor.
    Rich, Feb 25, 2011